Peterson University Flake Too Strong for Me?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2020
University Flake is G&H Rum flake and it’s strong. Spun me out bad and I smoke a lot of VaPers and Kentucky/DFK.
it’s something like 70 percent air cured burley. It’s a stout smoke and too strong for me. I max out at medium nic. It’s not overly strong but it’s strong enough to be past medium IMo.

also everyone reacts to the nic in different tobaccos differently. Dark fired and Kentucky don’t effect me as bad as air cured burley.

That sounds scary. Seems like most the reviews oscillate between yours and Casual’s. The only really burley I’ve had is the MacBaren HH Burley Flake which didn’t give me the spins but I found it too grassy in its newly opened state.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
That sounds scary. Seems like most the reviews oscillate between yours and Casual’s. The only really burley I’ve had is the MacBaren HH Burley Flake which didn’t give me the spins but I found it too grassy in its newly opened state.
I guess it must not effect everyone like that. Another main problem is that it doesn’t taste that strong.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff
Jan 27, 2020
I guess it must not effect everyone like that. Another main problem is that it doesn’t taste that strong.

So far from pipe tobacco the only time I got the spins I likely had too much to drink and I think it had to do with the amount of tobacco I consumed... can’t even recall what blend it was but certainly something I’ve smoked many times without issue. Anyway, I think you’re right and like a lot of things such as food and alcohol, people react differently and in the end the best thing to do is listen to your body.

Sangria doesn’t taste strong but it can really get you f’d up!

Reactions: BROBS

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
As you had mentioned being a former cigar and cigarette smoker, I‘d say, there‘s no need to worry. In my opinion most of the bigger than small cigar vitolas provide more strength than an average pipe of strong tobacco.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
It can also depend on the moment. I am a fan of UF and I don't smoke for nicotine at all. There were times when it kicked me and I barely smoked a 1/4 bowl and othertimes I smoked two bowls back-to-back.

Ideal after a good meal in effect
Good point. Can depend on how full you are.. how much sugar you’ve taken in... hydration, etc.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian
Jan 27, 2020
Yes, just to add a mid to end of bowl comment I do feel the nicotine more than what I usually smoke (but hasn’t spun me out fortunately), I think the size of this pipe suits the blend. Hope to try some HH Rustica in it one day.

Also, should of let it dry out a bit more, I rarely need to relight when I smoke but didn’t on this as well as tamper it on occasion.

Jan 27, 2020
I didn’t care form the smell when i opened the tin, reminded me of HH Burley Flake, I think I’ll leave it be in the jar for a bit before hitting it again.

Jan 27, 2020
Another update for whoever might care... just had a rather long bowl of this, half way though I had a can of Cigar City Jai Alai which is a citrusy IPA (not really much of a beer drinker and when I am don’t care for IPAs but this was enjoyable). Anyway, I don’t think the taste of it has much to offer but also isn’t offensive. I do get a bit of the “drift”, “wobbles” or “sway”—not sure if this is particular to me but it’s when the nicotine makes you sort of dip your head, I would say it’s like the spins but not really uncomfortable although it makes you a bit paranoid that if you go a bit further something bad is on the way. My final assessment is that this is good to blend with something like MacBaren’s Vanilla aro (to add some kick to it) but all in all I don’t see myself ordering it again.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Another update for whoever might care... just had a rather long bowl of this, half way though I had a can of Cigar City Jai Alai which is a citrusy IPA (not really much of a beer drinker and when I am don’t care for IPAs but this was enjoyable). Anyway, I don’t think the taste of it has much to offer but also isn’t offensive. I do get a bit of the “drift”, “wobbles” or “sway”—not sure if this is particular to me but it’s when the nicotine makes you sort of dip your head, I would say it’s like the spins but not really uncomfortable although it makes you a bit paranoid that if you go a bit further something bad is on the way. My final assessment is that this is good to blend with something like MacBaren’s Vanilla aro (to add some kick to it) but all in all I don’t see myself ordering it again.
I agree. The flavor is good but it’s just a bit too strong for me. I don’t want to have to baby my pipe or smoke a tiny ass one just to enjoy it.

I smoked it waking the dog with my wife and damn near made myself sick off it.

for those interested this is G&H Rum Flake in a tin.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff
Jan 27, 2020
I agree. The flavor is good but it’s just a bit too strong for me. I don’t want to have to baby my pipe or smoke a tiny ass one just to enjoy it.

I smoked it waking the dog with my wife and damn near made myself sick off it.

for those interested this is G&H Rum Flake in a tin.

Yes, and with alcohol... makes a bottle feel like a six pack.

• Haha

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
imo its strong enough to smoke slow and not use too big a pipe. Not as strong as IF though.

Jan 27, 2020
imo its strong enough to smoke slow and not use too big a pipe. Not as strong as IF though.

What’s IF? I have to revise my opinion of UF once again, after it being in a jar for a week it has really grown on me and no longer seems strong. What else are people smoking that seems similar to it?

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019

It's funny you say that because that's become my go to solution for strong burleys. I bought a small bowl pipe off ebay by mistake. Initially I was pissed off when I saw what size it actually was and thought I'd never use it. But now I find I use it all the time. A small bowl seems to bring out different flavors and it's pretty handy for stronger blends. (In fact I bought a couple more of them).

Reactions: Casual and BROBS
Jan 27, 2020
It's funny you say that because that's become my go to solution for strong burleys. I bought a small bowl pipe off ebay by mistake. Initially I was pissed off when I saw what size it actually was and thought I'd never use it. But now I find I use it all the time. A small bowl seems to bring out different flavors and it's pretty handy for stronger blends. (In fact I bought a couple more of them).

The pipe I’ve been using for it has a very small bowl also but I find it to be the perfect amount for it although it does get a bit hot probably because I tend to smoke too fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.