PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
My order just came in this evening with my tins of Luxury Blend and DeLuxe Mixture. Gave the Deluxe Mixture a try and I loved it. It doesn't top Connoisseur's Choice for me, but it is a very close second.

scallywag58

Lurker
Mar 30, 2011
I've tried most of Peterson range over the years and Connoisseur's Choice is the one I prefer as my "favourite" aromatic. Have had the odd problem with the tin not sealing correctly after its been opened so I have now made an habit of dropping my opened tins into a plastic zip bag, just in case.

julesholling

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2011
Sutton, Surrey
Just ordered a tin of the Special Reserve 2009 which i found at an online dealer here in the UK. Never tried Peterson's tobacco before and thought this was criminal so it fuelled a case of TAD here at my office desk :roll:

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Just finished a break in bowl of the Luxury Blend. That one is delicious. Once again I'm not nearly as obsessed about it as I am Connoisseur's Choice, but it gives DeLuxe Mixture a damn good run for its money for second place among the Pete blends. It has a great mixture of orange, honey, and vanilla. The vanilla didn't really come in to play towards the end of the smoke, but the orange and honey were pretty noticeable the whole time. Thoroughly enjoy this blend and definitely would reccomend it.

capnbellamy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 25, 2011
Canterbury, England
Sunset Breeze is amongst my favourites from them. You're exactly right about the Amaretto.
Sweet Kilarny is heavy on the sweet, as the name suggests. It's not a bad smoke, a little heavy on the palet due to it's caramel flavour but a wonderful smell and taste in small amounts. Pretty much my favourite.
Gold Blend isn't my favourite, but cant be called terrible just for that. Cavendish and Vanilla are the predominant flavours and really carry it off all the way through the smoke.
Old Dublin I'm not much a fan of. Abit too harsh for me, though not bad if the bowl is large and it gets alot of air. Do not, really do not, smoke this if it's dried out. It gets milder, but starts to taste like old cigarette smoke.
Sherlock Holmes is a brilliant traditional blend that, when I get hold of a 'Holmes' pipe, will feature whenever I sit down for a good think or to read. It's relaxing.
The De Lux Mixture is an absolute joy. Moderatly mild, sweet, and well flavoured. The Cavendish in it is accented and helped alot by Virginia without being overpowered or overpowering. It's perhaps my favourite blend (bar Sweet Kilarny) that they make.
That's most of their current range: I need to properly try the flakes, a couple of trad blends and the christmas ones. Hope this helps.

julesholling

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2011
Sutton, Surrey
Turned out that the retailer i ordered the Special Reserve 2009 from didn't have any in stock after all so i just got a tin of the Special Reserve 2011 through instead. Haven't opened it yet but am going to try some a bit later.
In the meantime i picked up some Connoisseurs Choice which i have tried a couple of bowls of. Love it and the Rum flavoring comes through in the taste and smell. My girlfriend even loves the room note which has only ever happened with Dan's Sweet Vanilla Honeydew before lol

fullbent

Can't Leave
May 6, 2011
You guys are killing me!This is the first weel of my 2 week vacation,and Im sitting here on the porch,like an old hound dog,waiting for the UPS truck.My order arrives today!I ordered several peterson blends in it.Ahhh,tonight I will be posting,and posting,and posting

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
I fell in love with the Holiday 2010 and have a little over a kilo of it. Tony Montana, eat your heart out.

The Summertime 2010 is a gorgeous peach & melon affair, though sadly the topping fades rather quickly. Still a great, sweet smoke.

Holiday 2009 is likewise great upon opening, then settles into a nice chocolatey nougat smoke.

Special Reserve 2010's nougat has a bit more longevity, and will be fondly remembered.

Sweet Killarney is probably my gold standard for a caramel flavour.

Irish Oak is a strange animal; the 13-year-old tin I have is divine, while the newer blend is a bit lackluster--but by no means a bad smoke. I'll have to try it with some added Perique per Lawrence's suggestion.

I'll definitely be including more in the next order...thanks for reminding me!

openbook

Lurker
May 6, 2011
I've only tried Irish Flake from the Peterson line. I agree with chuckw on the tin note: raisins. I'd add damp, earthy tobacco as well--takes a few strong sniffs to tease out the much more subtle raisin from the tin. As everyone that's tried it says, this is very strong tobacco! I've twice smoked half a bowl in my small Dr. Grabow full bent. Not to be trifled with. Rubs out okay--not effortlessly, but well. Will have to try this folded sometime.

capnbellamy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 25, 2011
Canterbury, England
Irish Oak: A good every-day blend, with some wonderfully smokey flavours that I didn't quite expect. Something I'll probably get a tin or two of to put in storage to see how it developes.

punkpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2011
Alright, just got the 2011 special reserve. The tin looks gorgeous, the tobacco smells gorgeous, like strawberries, cream and tonka beans. going to dry a little out and smoke it in a corn cob. Give you all an update when its smoking.

punkpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2011
Update to before: This is it. this stuff is beautiful to smoke, no tongue bite, sweet flavours, like smoking eaton mess. Theres a hint of the virginias in there too. I'm going to try and get another few tins before the end of the year from somewhere, I bought the last tin from my local B&M, but they do have a good stock of the 2010 reserve as well so I'll get a tin of that before I go home for the summer. This is the aromatic for those who dont like aromatics. Just puff slowly.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Picked up a tin of Sunset Breeze and University Flake today. Can't wait to give them a try. Maybe I'll have my first smoke since clearing up the gingivitis tomorrow and give Sunset Breeze a try. If it tastes anything like it smells in the tin it's going to give Connoisseur's Choice a very good run for its money as my top Pete blend. Love the Amaretto casing they put in Sunset Breeze and I love virginia, burley, black cavendish blends. Can't wait to try University Flake either. Love the plum casing at least in the tin. If it smokes like it smells I'm sure it'll be a treat.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Holiday 2010. Love it. Cookies and cream. Note in both the tin and the room is great. Best aero I have tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.