PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dj11

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2013
I am ordering a Peterson pipe and want to know what Peterson tobacco I should try? Any suggestions? Thanks

bluesmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2013
I like Old Dublin. It's a mild English blend with some Oriental. Some others here probably know more about the rest of the Peterson Blends.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I had the same problem when I ordered a Peterson pipe today: they recommended the Gold mixture as being very popular. Flakes, of course, are a different story, and I didn't ask about those.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Well, hard to say without knowing your tastes.
I enjoy Old Dublin and Sherlock Holmes. Uni Flake, Irish Flake and Irish Oak all have their fans.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My favorite Peterson blends are University Flake, Irish Flake and Perfect Plug. If I had to choose just one it would be University Flake, it has a nice plum flavor that is done nicely, not too sweet but you can definitely taste it.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Only order Irish Flake if you have an extremely high level of nicotine tolerance.
University Flake is a pretty solid Va/Bur mix with a bit of plum casing which is barely noticeable.
As for aromatics Connoisseur's Choice is rather popular as well as Sunset Breeze, Deluxe Mixture, and Gold Blend.
I don't think the limited edition blends are part of the www.smokingpipes.com promotion. Plus, I think the Holiday Season Blend sold out.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I'm a big fan of Peterson pipes, but I've never been a big fan of their tobacco. That being said, University Flake isn't bad, and I can tolerate the occasional bowl of Irish Oak.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Irish Oak and Irish Whiskey are my favorite Peterson Blends. Good tobacco flavor, and no overwhelming additions. The nicotine is fairly high for me, but Irish Flake and University Flake knock me on my ass. I don't care for Peterson Aromatics, as they taste like chemicals IMHO.

aikatal

Might Stick Around
Apr 10, 2013
I like Irish Oak, Old Dublin and Irish Whiskey. I wanted to like Irish Flake, but the anise flavoring leaves me with a nasty, bitter aftertaste that refuses to go away for hours. Dissapointing for me, but it doesn't seem to affect anyone else that way.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
University Flake and Old Dublin.
Or for a real City of Dublin tobacco experience, load your Peterson up with some tobacco from Fox's (there is only one shop space between the two).

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
University Flake is really nice but it has given me the spins before. Sunset Breeze is nice and the connoisseur's Choice is also nice if you like aromatics.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Ever since Cortez let me know I'd like it (and he knows my tastes well!), I've been wanting to get my hands on some Peterson Hyde Park. I'm planning on adding to my next order. I usually smoke flakes, but I've been wanting a nice Lakeland style ready-rub that is easy and quick to load. Dark Bird's Eye usually fit that bill for me, but it is too strong (even for me) to be an all-day smoke. I find it stronger than Irish Flake, both in nicotine and flavor, and really only like to stockpile tobacco that can be smoked all day, since I leave the house with only 1 blend, which I will smoke all day.
Irish flake is a good suggestion, and so is Peterson 3P perfect plug. Both are very strong, but with the 3P, you can shave it off very fine, and rub out, which will fill your pipe with less tobacco, and not overload you as easily with nicotine. I do this often, and it really satisfies for a great smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.