PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiberiusjones

Lurker
May 4, 2016
I just bought a marvelous 20FP and its a great smoker. Only thing is I can t seem to pass a pipe cleaner through the stem, even if I unscrew the aluminum condersor it wont go through. I shined a very bright light and saw where the air hole upstream ends and its very small. Is this by design or a flaw? ANy of you have similar experience or perhaps can shed some light on this
?

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
These pipes usually won’t pass a filter, but that’s kind of how they’re designed. Does it have a silver cap on the end of the shank? If so, it’ll do the pipe no harm to remove the stem during a smoke. You can pull the stem and use a cleaner that way, if you need to. Hope that helps!

Reactions: tiberiusjones

tiberiusjones

Lurker
May 4, 2016
yes its a silver mount and I do remove it from time to time, just cant push it all the way through. But I guess its comforting to know its by design and not a defect. Thanks.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have no experience with Pete system pipes, but I often post that many full or near full bent pipes don't accept a pipe cleaner all the way to the bowl. I have a number that do, and that I prize for the feature. And some folks say they can jimmy a pipe cleaner though any been pipe, though how they charm a piece of wire through a hairpin turn seems dubious to me, and yes I've tried bending and crooking them. Anyway, good for them. I just take off the stem from time to time, as needed, which is not too often, and clean the stem and briar separately. No problem.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
I just bought a marvelous 20FP and its a great smoker. Only thing is I can t seem to pass a pipe cleaner through the stem, even if I unscrew the aluminum condersor it wont go through. I shined a very bright light and saw where the air hole upstream ends and its very small. Is this by design or a flaw? ANy of you have similar experience or perhaps can shed some light on this
?
This part has me wondering if something is defective, is it a bent pipe?

Jun 9, 2018
England
I have a Peterson b10 & XL02 spigot, they are both non-system pipes and they have a small moisture collecting well with the draught hole just above at the 12 o'clock position.
They are both 9mm filter pipes so obviously wouldn't pass a cleaner but I'm certain that even if they were non-filter they wouldn't pass the pipe cleaner test.
I'm sure I've read here and on the Peterson Pipe Notes website (a fantastic resource if you're interested in Peterson by the way) that this is how they are designed and both of mine are great smokers.

Chris.

P

pipebuddy

All Peterson pipes are drilled to receive a 9mm filter, even if the stem does not accommodate it.
The way it works, the air hole to the tobacco chamber is drilled separate from the stem's airhole.
In other words, they drill the stummel, then they make the stem and fit it on the pipe without worrying about
making it work.
So you might be able to pass a pipe cleaner on a straight pipe only.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Aren't they pretty much designed in a way that makes it impossible to pass a pipe cleaner all the way to the chamber?

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
It s definitely a system pipe as there is mention of the aluminium condenser so it wont pass a cleaner from the mouthpiece to the bowl.It is not designed to.
If the problem is not being able to pass a cleaner from the bit to the bottom of the stem .I have had ones that are difficult to pass a cleaner as the plip is at nearly right angles to the stem drilling (I assume its a plip)
try passing from the mortice end towards the bit,the drilling is tapered from the mortice towards the bit and cleaners pass more easily in that direction
https://pipedia.org/images/0/0d/System2.jpg

thefishguy

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2017
P-lip stems are difficult to run a pipe cleaner down as well. This may be your problem. I keep a q-tip handy while smoking my system pipes. Mid smoke I’ll swab out the moisture well and run pipe cleaners through stem and pipe, reassemble, and relight.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
P-lip stems are difficult to run a pipe cleaner down as well. This may be your problem. I keep a q-tip handy while smoking my system pipes. Mid smoke I’ll swab out the moisture well and run pipe cleaners through stem and pipe, reassemble, and relight.
P-lips on stems don't make it difficult to accept a pipe cleaner in my experience. The shape of the stem and its diameter control that.

If you need to swab moisture on every smoke, your tobacco is too moist or you're smoking too fast.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I don't understand :
  • the pipe won't pass a cleaner to to the bowl: That's normal
  • the pipe won't pass a cleaner thru the stem only: NOT normal, and I have not clue how it would smoke well if that was the case.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I think this might be a P-lip issue -- the hole at the end is very narrow and hard to pass a cleaner through. That's normal, in my experience.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I think this might be a P-lip issue -- the hole at the end is very narrow and hard to pass a cleaner through. That's normal, in my experience.
that was what I was trying to convey.
The drat hole is tapered from the mortice end towards the plip end,therefore a pipe cleaner passes easier from the mortice end,rather than trying to ram it in from the plip especially as it needs to turn almost as soon as it enters the stem

Status
Not open for further replies.