PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesandpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2010
I notice that there is another post enquiring as to what all the fuss is about Peterson pipes and are they really that good?.Which is fair enquiring comment from newbies, who may not have experienced the large selection of Peterson pipes that are currently available.

I often cringe at some of the negative comments made on popular pipe forums, in regard to the quality and finish of Peterson pipes. Inevitably it is the old story of a lack of experience or ownership of the extensive and varied choices in the range of pipes presented by Peterson. Often the negative comments are based on the writers very limited experience of owning one or two basic entry level pipes. Thereafter they condemn all Peterson pipes, based on that poor experience.
I am privileged in that I have a good variety of both entry and higher grade Peterson Pipes within my collection. In my humble opinion, Peterson have been consistent throughout their production of pipes, in replicating a tradition of Celtic quality, at very reasonable prices.Particularly so when you consider the huge numbers of pipes that are produced annually.There are bound to be some that do not pass muster or are just not to that particular smokers taste.
Believe me when I say that I do not feel the need to defend or justify the Peterson brand,there are thousands of satisfied pipe smokers throughout the world that will do that for me.

If I come across as a Pete fanatic,then I apologise for my weakness. Snob, no, what you see is an all consuming passion and interest that borders on an obsession for a brand which I have chosen over many others.

So after all this long winded post, what am I saying,well it is this,please be tolerant of my obsession which I thoroughly enjoy sharing with other pipesters.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I share your obsession Jim if not your exclusive dedication to Petersons. Partly because I have just become serious about collecting them. For myself I find Peterson makes the ideal pipe. On the other hand I love the styling of the classic BC pipes as well. It sort of all works out to being a lot like some people loving canned peas, where I can't abide them. Personal choices. All that said! CARRY ON OH FEARLESS LEADER!!! I thoroughly enjoy your posts!

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
In my mind, there is no need to apologize for anything Sandpiper. I have always associated myself around people of strong opinions. Unless someone is argumenative and feels a need to justify their opinions at the expense of others, their passion makes them more interesting to me. Snobbery is all about labeling all other positions as inferior to one's own. I haven't seen that.
My pipe passions are Danish freehands...others hate 'em. I don't really know why I'm so attracted to them, but they hooked me a long time ago.
Its like arguing the merits of one's favorite color. Afterall, they are just colors and the world would be a dreary place if one was gone.
I like red. :)
Petes are obviously your passion. Keep singing their praises, keep sharing your experiences, keep expounding on their history. I don't know enough except to comment "nice pipe", but I'm reading and learning.

philblum

Lurker
Oct 15, 2010
Jim, I am with you here. I own both too, entry Peterson's and higher grad ones.
All are a treat to smoke. I regard my Peterson's as not only fine looking (of course I have chosen them), but as good to very good quality pipes as well. Then there is another thing: The sterling and nickel works are just stunning. And how about those classic shapes? Just love them. A 106 or a 502, they are just timeless and I never get tired of looking at them while smoking.
I have two Peterson's I am not happy with and this is only due to the p-lip mouthpiece I chose because I wanted to try them. They're just not my thing. But I know that quite a lot of people who love them - certainly here we have some too.

Yet I plan to change the mouthpieces on these two (an old 606 and a 150) some time.
Choosing and smoking Peterson's has become a passion, just as Jim explained. And passion in my view is a wonderful thing. It may be a happy coincidence that I love almost all of the Peterson tobaccos as well.

duncan

Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
I only own a peterson second, but even thou it is a second it is a wonderful pipe. I would love to own more but you bastards run up the ebay prices lol. I believe if they are a passion talking about them is fine. Not once have I read where you said another pipe was a POS because it was not a Peterson.
Wade

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey Sandpiper,

I hope I'm not the cause of this.

I meant no harm, or insult.

I love your collection, it's just that I haven't had the positive experiences you, Chuck, and Arthur have had.

I just posted my opinion on the two that I own.

I'm no connoisseur. I do have my favorites.

And I don't believe you to be a "snob", not in the least.

I meant no insult.

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Obsession?....why not Magnificent Obsession!?....Many of us are truly obsessed with this pipe smoking "hobby"....and if, in so doing, we become as "involved" with a specific brand, carver or type....God bless you!

thesandpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2010
Reply to pstlpkr: -
Lawrence, please do not think that I was targeting you.I was talking generally,in voicing my rant I was expressing my fear that people misinterpret my enthusiasm for collecting and smoking Peterson pipes exclusively.Some on other forums are almost openly hostile to the concept.

I have enjoyed the short time that I have been a member of this very friendly forum and have been pleasantly surprised at the genuine interest that various members have shown in the brand.The last thing I want to do is upset people or bore them to death with what some might interpret as evangelism of the brand.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I don't mind it at all. Although I do not really care for Peterson pipes (I only own 1 and based from that pipe I haven't had the urge to buy another), I love reading all of the info that a dedicated collector has to offer.
Being a dedicated collector doesn't make one a snob. Like Mlaug said:
Snobbery is all about labeling all other positions as inferior to one's own.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Your posts are nothing short of great.

I love reading them.

No harm. No foul.
I definitely look forward to seeing more of the magnificent collection.

funn

Lurker
Jul 28, 2010
I have Systems,about 20,Irish Seconds,6,straight stems,6,bents 10. P-lips and fishtails.

I have other pipes also but the brunt of my collection is Peterson.

Effortless smoking,great looks and a rich history,and most importantly,I can afford them now since my college days.

About to reload a Holmes Original w/a Twain stem now..w/more PA.

I enjoy anything Peterson!! The remarkable thing I enjoy is I can smoke them all day like a Meer.

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
Well, you keep preachin'.
I am glad you're here.
I look at it like this...for the cost of $0.00 I have easy access to a pipe collector that specialized in a single manufacturer and knows the history and production through and through.
Its a great deal for me and I don't even own a Pete, yet.
For the same money, I get access to Fred and his meer knowledge.
You and Petes, Fred and meers.
Its a great deal.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Believe me when I say that I do not feel the need to defend or justify the Peterson brand,there are thousands of satisfied pipe smokers throughout the world that will do that for me.
Brands like Peterson that have stood the test of time amd been arpimd longer than any of us have been alive don't need any justification. We all tend to collection things and want there to be a rationality around our passion for them but more often than not, its the irrational part of us that actually feels the link to them. I like Dunhills and can say they are the best of the best and have a long and storied history of making the best pipes but in the end, with all justifications and blathering done, the fact is is that I just like them and am willing to recognise I have an irrational attachment to them. Keep sharing your knowledge and passion for Petersons! It benefits everyone here!

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
Well, I have had nothing but good experiences, albeit limited, with Peterson's and I can honestly say that I am smitten. I own 6, so far, and am looking to increase my collection (if that lovely person from North of the border doesn't buy all the ones I have my eye on) :)

Never have been a fan of snobery, but if being passionate about a brand is being a snob (which it definitely is NOT) then I'll put my hands up.

I love this forum so much more than any of the others I have looked at, which is why I use this as my prefered Pipe website. The common theme on this forum is that people have the objectivity to look at another persons pipe and see it in the same light as that person themselves. Whether or not they choose to rush out and buy the same pipe or stick to their own personal choice, it never seems to detract from the kind words that follow. Long may that attitude continue on this forum.

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010
I have been the caretaker of a Peterson meerschaum since the early '70s and recently purchased a Peterson Killarney. How to explain? The competent simplicity with which these folks create their pipes is a joy to the senses and a small bit of history that the owner can enjoy at his leisure and evenually pass on to his fortunate heirs. I'm not a snob, just a romantic who deeply appreciates the 20 or so hours that some Irish craftsman spent bringing these gifts to me.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Yes, I too have accumulated my share of Peterson Pipes. My favorite these days is the Peterson B5 Donegal Rocky Fishtail. By the way, I have noticed recently that upon arrival I must put a lot of energy trying to remove the stains from the inside of the pipe - something that I don't remember doing before. I use absorbent paper and grain alcohol. You wouldn't believe what comes out of the shank! Of course the bowl is coated to develop cake so I usually leave that alone, but the stuff in the shank is what gets me. On another note, has anyone seen a Peterson 80S Donegal Rocky with the saddle shape bit and fishtail end? Seems like all they sell these days is the P-lip, something that I routinely file down to resemble a fishtail, on those few P-lips that I own. I like the 80S saddle bit, but it seems to only come in the P-lip these days. Happy smoking dear friends!

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Don't get me wrong, I swear by Petersons. Many of my finest smokes are in Petersons and they beat out many of my higher end Dunhills, if you know what I mean. Just an honest pipe at a fair price!

Status
Not open for further replies.