PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Thanks for the long write-up. I'm all for variety. I say this as someone who has bought at least 5 Laudisi era silver adorned Petersons. As I'm resolutely in favor of acrylic stems, so long as they remain an option, I'm a happy camper. I've no problems with keeping the vulcanite crowd happy as well, be they fat or thin proponents.
I joke about it, and I'm definitely not a fan of the big/small contrast... but then they're just not for me. Someone will like them, apparently some do. Not everyone has to like every pipe though.

It's great though that there are options for everyone, at least for some things. Some brands only use vulcanite or acrylic, others predominantly one or the other and rarely options on the same line (only major brand I can think of off-hand that has an option within a line is the Savinelli Roma/Roma Lucite lines, which are the same except standard line is black ebonite and Lucite is a champagne satin-look acrylic).

It's easier to provide options for either with army/spigot mounts than it would be with a regular mortise/tenon joint, since the stem has to be made to fit the pipe and all that (from what I understand about making a stem)... unless the shanks and stems are cut with CNC and are identical. Not an issue with the friction fit though if it's a hair or two off, it'll just go a hair or two more or less deep into the shank.

I love the Pete I have (red spigot 80s)—it's got the wider stem, acrylic, fishtail. It's a great pipe

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Yes, its not the size of the stem that concerns me. I bet it looks great on some pipes. Like others, the contrast between that and a big pipe isnt working for me. The bonus is they make both. If you dont like it you can get a different one. Perhaps over time shapes will evolve that highlight both. I do like vulcanite. Im not all fired up about it...after all its a pipe. If I like it I will buy it, if not I will pass. Its good I dont like every pipe. Id be broke.

Ebarber

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2020
Newark, Ohio
I was asked to weigh in here and this assessment is partly right.

When Laudisi acquired Peterson, all (or almost all) spigot stems were acrylic and had been for a few years. We added back the System Spigot series, which used vulcanite P-lip stems. And for some (but not all) spigot series, we've moved to thinner vulcanite stems, while continuing to use the acrylic for the Red Spigots, Green Spigots, Newgrange Spigots, Natural Spigots (and I'm sure I forgetting something).

Systematically over a few years prior to 2018 (when Laudisi acquired the business), as Peterson struggled, there was significant reduction in complexity, both by reducing the number of shapes and reducing the number of stems. That led to a series of bad, ahistorical, unaesthetic decisions around Peterson stems. It doesn't mean they were all bad, but there were a lot of situations where the wrong stem was used for a given pipe.

Laudisi has been systematically reversing these trends, adding both shapes and stem options.

Quickly some background on stem diameters: for the acrylic spigot series, there are actually three different stem sizes. Most shapes get the fatter stem (that's about 11mm in diameter where it enters the pipe), but pipes that have narrower shanks (15, 406, 124, 127, 128 and a number of others) got one of two different thinner stems (about 9mm diameter) that varied in style slightly and in length.

So, thinner acrylic stems have been around for awhile (though we're using more of them because we've added back some smaller shapes).

Thinner vulcanite stems--for which there's a lot of historical precedence at Peterson from an aesthetic standpoint--was something that I was a major proponent of, since it would give us a historically appropriate alternative to acrylic stems that was also a fishtail.

More generally, Peterson is somewhat unusual at this point in its dedication to preserving vulcanite stems. As pipe smokers ourselves, we like vulcanite stems both for mouth-feel and tooth-feel reasons and for historical reasons for the brand (weirdly, because I tend to have very strong pipe opinions, I'm actually pretty moderate among our Peterson stem interlocutors on the acrylic vs vulcanite debate; you wouldn't imagine how heated stem discussions can get at Peterson).

So, perhaps you like them, perhaps you don't. I'm on the side of liking them for a host of practical and historical/aesthetic reasons. The current, fatter acrylic stems used for most spigots are an aesthetic compromise between a couple of strands of Peterson's aesthetic history that I think look great on a lot of shapes, but we felt there was also room for us to pick up another historical, aesthetic strand and run with it.

Also, I just think the thin-stem-spigot-thing is awesome. On a small billiard, it's visually balanced, but I also really love the insane juxtaposition between an XL02 bowl and the thin stem.

Sykes

Thank you for chiming in. Great info!

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

Ebarber

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2020
Newark, Ohio
Ok ok ok, I feel compelled to vote in favor of these being awesome with my money. I haven't bought a new pipe in a year, and I'm buying a f'n Peterson no less, ha ha.
I think that these could bring in new Pete fans to expand their market. Not all of us like the looks of those "classic" Pete shapes.
It looks like these flew off the shelf.
When I bought mine there were quite a few on there.
Now it appears there is only one left.

It looks like these flew off the shelf.
When I bought mine there were quite a few on there.
Now it appears there is only one left.
I've always been a bigger fan of pencil thin shanks, but they are more fragile. So having a spigot is the safer trade off for me. I have a Rua 106, and it is an excellent smoker. So... it looks like I am building a 106 collection, ha ha.

RPK

Might Stick Around
Dec 30, 2023
Clarksburg, NJ
I saw the post by @sardonicus87 this morning showing his red spigot 80s and being in the market for a new pipe and having an Irish Harp 80s that is probably one of my favorite pipes
I started to look for one. Well there is only 1 currently available and it's on the Peterson, Ireland site. Currently available are the 80s spigot terracotta's. In checking out the terracotta finish compared to the red finish I came upon this thread and didn't realize when looking at the pictures of them that the spigot was so much smaller as I was focusing on the coloring. Well in comparing the two I have to say that I was about to go for a terracotta but decided against it. As others have mentioned the proportions are just not right.