PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2015
From everything I've read, I'm thinking the only way to distinguish between the late patent era on these and the late pre Republic era would be the P. Since we don't see a forked tail here, I believe this puts the pipe solidly in the late 40s. I'm interested in Mark Irwin's response.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Well looks like I did something wrong on those last 2 pics. You get the idea though.
Glad to help. It got me to write and post a VERY COMPLETE set of instructions one last time.
Looks like you posted the thumbnails rather than the full sized image on those last two. Don't forget to click on the thumbnail to get to the full sized image before copying the image location and pasting it into the IMG function.
BTW, love this pipe. The way the grain loops over the rim and into the chamber is really exquisite. Too bad it will be lost when, or if, the pipe is smoked.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Unfortunately, as Jim Lilly often said, the only sure method to positively date a Peterson is via the silver hallmark. That block stamping was used up to '49, so that is probably as close a range as you wry get.

May 4, 2015
the only sure method to positively date a Peterson is via the silver hallmark
And even then, that's the year the band was assayed, which doesn't necessarily mean that's when the pipe was manufactured, so you can only be sure within a few year range.

chrisj

Lurker
Jun 27, 2017
Thanks everyone for the nice comments and the help.

It is still un-smoked, but not smoking it gets harder every day.

Kind of want to know the value on it un-smoked before I use it. I keep thinking I might sell something if its worth enough but that just never happens. I guess that's why in 2 years of collecting(just in antique stores and at auctions and estate sales. No Ebay) I have somehow ended up with 80 some pipes and haven't sold a one.

What and addicting little hobby this has become!!

Have some incredible finds though. Great feeling when you get one you know is a real Gem and you get it for next to nothing.

Only paid $25 for the Pete!!!

May 4, 2015
Only paid $25 for the Pete!!!
:worship:
Every time I look in a thrift/antique store I'm hoping this will happen. So far, no luck, but I'm very happy for you! I'd have a VERY difficult time lighting this one up.

chrisj

Lurker
Jun 27, 2017
Thanks for the estimate on the value. I think I will be leaving it un-smoked for now.

As far as finding it goes, I travel all over Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, and Nevada and try to stop at all the antique stores, auctions and estate sales I can. I have been very lucky in the past 2 years. My daughters have started calling me the pipe whisperer.

I have found:

**2 pre-republic Peterson's. This one and another bent rhodesian I had to have the stem replaced on.

**A huge Savinelli silver banded, sandblast ring grain early Autograph 5.

**A pre-Lane Charatan's Prince.

**A BBB silver banded billiard that I haven't had any luck dating. Found this one unsmoked and in it's box but I smoked it. Probably shouldn't have.

**A pre-transition Barling bent Rhodesian (1936 to 1949). Haven't been able to narrow a date down on that one either.

**A Comoy's 1985 Christmas Pipe.

**4 Sixten Ivaarson designed 60's to 70's Stanwells (my favorites).

**An early Peterson sandblasted barrel.

**4 other good Savenellis.

**Some other decent 60's and 70's stuff and also a bunch of cheap but fun stuff.

I haven't paid more than $25 for anything except a couple of the Stanwells, just because I love them. I haven't sold anything because I'm afraid if I start trying to sell them I'll lose my pipe whisperer mojo. I have the same dumb luck with shave brushes and razors. I'm starting to run out of room for everything. Pretty good problem to have. Not complaining.

So If I have questions on other stuff should I post it on this thread or start others? I have never been on these forums before and don't really know what I'm doing. Also, If I decide to sell anything is this a good place to do it?

chrisj

Lurker
Jun 27, 2017
Oh Geeze......forgot probably my favorite find. A Dunhill billiard. very large. Probably a group 4 or 5. I know it's a Dunhill but most of the markings have been worn off. Great pipe though. Paid $12 for it. Almost passed out when I saw the white dot on the stem and was able to make out Dun on the few markings left. Great for my navy flake. Just love it!!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
You have found some real treasures on your travels!
Your silver banded BBB should have hallmarks. The year hallmark is a letter. This site:
http://www.silvercollection.it/englishsilverhallmarksBIR.html
should provide the information that you need.
I can possibly help you with the Barling, but will need you to upload images of the pipe's stampings. Since you stated that it's 1936 to 1949, I'm assuming that it has a Reg'd number stamped on the underside of the stem. I can sometimes narrow it down based on the other stampings,

Status
Not open for further replies.