PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
I’ve seen three mentions in this thread of more coming on Thursday. How do we know this?
SP updates bi-weekly. Monday and Thursday nights. Special releases however can be released on any day, like this Peterson POTY. However, other brands and shipments are updated on those days. They probably already have another lot to sell, but the media team needs time to take and upload the pictures as each pipe they market is a one-off.

For those that did purchase, I'm also wondering, what is the number of the pipes. Usually they have a (#/#). What was the max number? This is how many of the 2020 they made. I wasn't able to see any as I woke up and all were gone. Assuming they followed the previous years, I think they started making only 500 of all the cumulative shapes. However, I am not sure of how many of each finish they have.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Mine is 44/400. According to their email yesterday’s selection was 75 pipes. Who knows how many they will actually get in total and which other vendors may end up with some in hand.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Three strange thing for me is that when I received the email, I clicked the link and it opened a page of the Smokingpipes 20th Anniversary pipes from Peterson -- all sold long ago. I couldn't find a single one, sold or unsold, on the site. Must be getting senile.

Incidentally, I have in my collection the very first Peterson Limited Edition pipe (AKA, Pipe of the Year) ever produced -- an unsmoked1997 gold-banded army mount bulldog, numbered 1/1000. It previously belonged to a fellow associated with Hollco, which used to distribute Peterson in the USA.

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
Three strange thing for me is that when I received the email, I clicked the link and it opened a page of the Smokingpipes 20th Anniversary pipes from Peterson -- all sold long ago. I couldn't find a single one, sold or unsold, on the site. Must be getting senile.

Incidentally, I have in my collection the very first Peterson Limited Edition pipe (AKA, Pipe of the Year) ever produced -- an unsmoked1997 gold-banded army mount bulldog, numbered 1/1000. It previously belonged to a fellow associated with Hollco, which used to distribute Peterson in the USA.

Would you mind posting a picture of your 1/1000 1997 POY? Sounds awesome!

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
Just to respond to some Peterson Pipe of the Year questions:

2020 saw many fewer made than in years past because they were scheduled to be made in late March, which is exactly when the factory closed for Covid lockdowns. We (folks at Peterson, with advice from others in the US office) considered skipping it this year, but ultimately decided that doing fewer was better than doing nothing. Doing the full planned run given the factory was closed for three months just wouldn't have been possible.

Accordingly, fewer than 400 were made for the world instead of 750-1000 as has been typical over the past few years.

Of those 400, SP got the 75 that went on the site. SP doesn't have any more (barring one or two popping up because of returns or canceled orders). Many other retailers in the US received pipes too, but at this point I don't know which would still have some. Pipes also went to Germany, the UK and elsewhere.

Sykes

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan

2020 saw many fewer made than in years past because they were scheduled to be made in late March, which is exactly when the factory closed for Covid lockdowns. We (folks at Peterson, with advice from others in the US office) considered skipping it this year, but ultimately decided that doing fewer was better than doing nothing. Doing the full planned run given the factory was closed for three months just wouldn't have been possible.

Accordingly, fewer than 400 were made for the world instead of 750-1000 as has been typical over the past few years.

Of those 400, SP got the 75 that went on the site. SP doesn't have any more (barring one or two popping up because of returns or canceled orders). Many other retailers in the US received pipes too, but at this point I don't know which would still have some. Pipes also went to Germany, the UK and elsewhere.

Sykes
Thanks for the information. It's a bummer we can't see more of these spectacular pipes because of the 'Rona. I guess there is always next year and perhaps the few other websites that will eventually get them.

Therefore, I can continue to work on my X105 collection instead.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet

Sykes
Thanks for the update!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a gracious plenty of Petersons, so my interest is just curiosity, though the next pipe in my bull pen is a Peterson. I do want to take a look. I like that Peterson bulkiness, but I'd like to see the weight. 'Don't like them too heavy these days, for old teeth. Even the lighter weight Petes look sturdy and durable.

...I didn't scroll through all 20 pages of Petes, but they weren't on the first three SP Pete pages, and the Search function didn't turn up anything, so maybe selling a few is a teaser to build suspense. No suspense here.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Went back to SP right when the POTY were listed. 3 ebony finish. That's it. Ping SP to see if any further POTY smooth finish are coming. Told nothing in the shipment. Just ordered smooth finish from oversea with DHL Express. I guess they didn't make a lot. I heard 400.

goldenmole

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2019
Copenhagen DK
Before they went on sale at SP, I checked a number of European sites, (Black Swann, etc.) but I didn't find any available pipes.
Pfeifen Shop Online in Germany had some already a week ago or so. Of cause that would be with 9mm filter :) ... Otherwise SP Europe has no new pipes online since 25th, and they are normally updated on Tuesdays. I am getting a bit confused with the Peterson online shop itself, and it's difference to SP Europe, owned by the same company. The Peterson site lists a lot of pipes, most not available for purchase, but some are directly available. As far as I can see same prices as SP Europe, but with less detailed photos and description.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My PSB arrived today. A quick glance, the fit/finish/stain is first rate.
It's more in line size/shapewise with my XL 90 Supreme, below the POY in this picture.
My 9BC Kapruff next - it is the smallest 9BC I've seen (I've owned six over the years).
My Shape 56 (Canadian vendor version of the 9BC) at the bottom.

Mark Irwin said he didn't like the stem bend, not enough bend. On first blush, it looks just right to me.

20200904_160837.jpg

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
My PSB arrived today. A quick glance, the fit/finish/stain is first rate.
It's more in line size/shapewise with my XL 90 Supreme, below the POY in this picture.
My 9BC Kapruff next - it is the smallest 9BC I've seen (I've owned six over the years).
My Shape 56 (Canadian vendor version of the 9BC) at the bottom.

Mark Irwin said he didn't like the stem bend, not enough bend. On first blush, it looks just right to me.

View attachment 41836
it has a flat end to the bend like all the new Petes

Reactions: ofafeather
Status
Not open for further replies.