Peterson Pipes - How Satisfied Are You with Them?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, Daniel, don't buy any more Petes. But also don't keep whinging about it.
I have a half dozen Petes. All good smokers. One has way too many fills.

Jan 8, 2013
I have 15 Petes. Most were bought new from 2013 to present. Some are on the lower end, such as the annual Saint Patrick's Day pipes, others are on the middle to higher end. I have no major complaints with any of them. I have a few bents that don't pass a cleaner easily, but that's a price you pay with many bents. Often times a slight bend in the very tip of the cleaner fixes that issue. If it's a spigot or military mount, it doesn't matter anyway as those are designed to be able to remove the stem while the pipe is still warm. My Petes all smoke great, most smoking great from the very first smoke, which is why I don't understand the extremely long break in period some people talk about. I will definitely buy more Peterson pipes and I have plans to do so.
[/quote] but waiting for the Peterson diehards here to confirm that Laudisi has indeed advanced QC.
I think it will take some time to weed out all the pipes still on the market that may have QC issues while new Laudisi era pipes slowly take their place. From what I understand (I've read somewhere), Peterson produces pipe in the hundreds of thousands annually. Also, that's a lot of pipes, so there are bound to be some lemons in the mix. My only complaint is the new bowl coating they seem to be using on some of the new pipes. I've only one with the coating, but from photos, it appears the new coating is also used on the Aran with the new improved rustication. The new coating is crap. It's a minor issue for me, because it's easily removed, but I think if they're going to use a coating, they should stick with the old one.
Also, there is the issue with replacement stems for system pipes. I know of a few issues both from this forum and on the Facebook groups of someone needing a new stem for their system pipe. You used to be able to purchase replacement stems, and although they can still occasionally be found if you search like a madman, they are extremely hard to find, and there are different sizes for different pipes, so finding one is difficult to say the least. Best option given to most people by Laudisi or Peterson of Dublin is to send the pipe back to have it shipped back to Sallynoggin, and fitted with a new stem, at the cost of 50+ U.S. dollars. I love Laudisi, and I love Peterson, but they are seriously dropping the ball on that matter. It should never cost half or more the cost of a pipe to get a new stem when the original was faulty. GIVE THESE CUSTOMERS A NEW STEM, PETERSON AND LAUDISI!!!
That said, however, I've had no issues, and I'm happy with my purchases and will continue to purchase more.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Over the years I have had quite a few Petersons, with older ones I haven't encountering any issues whereas with the newer produced mid price range pipes, all I can say its a bit of a lottery, it' would be advisable to have them inspected whether by the reputable tobacconist who does understand something in pipes or if possible persoinally .

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've bought or been gifted with all of my Petersons new over the past ten years or so. Most of mine are mid-range pipes, no extra high end, no System pipes, only one P-Lip. All of mine have come to me properly drilled, with no stain in the bowl, and only one rusticated author has needed time to break in, and that one did just fine over time. I was concerned to hear about quality control problems in past years, but I have been entirely (annoyingly?) satisfied. I simply cannot complain. I received a rusticated Donegal B10 briar Calabash for Christmas and it is going great. With Petes, it has been the luck of the Irish for me.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Peterson is well known for their pathetic quality control. I would send your pipes back to Peterson and ask them to fix them. Now that SP owns Peterson, I would be amazed if they didn't fix your pipes.

I bought one Peterson early in my pipe career and it was a piece of shit.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Okay, these are just my own thoughts and opinions and I truly am not trying to offend anyone, but...

I have no idea why anybody still buys these things. From what I gather, it's usually because of great marketing. Series pipes (Sherlock Holmes Collection...), yearly pipes (St Patrick's Day...), and so forth, can be seductive, or they like the Irish connection I guess. I have seen the occasional complaint about other brands of pipes, but nowhere near the amount of complaints about Peterson pipes. From dip-staining, poor drilling, gurgling, bubbling and peeling finish, stained fingers, the list goes on and on. There are so many other (better) options out there in every price range! Personally, I find them ugly as well, too bulky, poor fit and finish, but I know this is purely subjective, and many others disagree. To each their own. I am speaking of the modern incarnation, not the older Petes, about which I've always heard great things . Other than genius marketing, I truly don't know how they stay in business. Sorry for the rant, but this subject just fires me up. I know many folks love their Petersons. Maybe I'm missing something, but I got rid of my last Pete years ago and have sworn off them forever. Again, sorry if I hurt some feelings here.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
No hurt feelings at all. I just disagree with much of what you've written. I love my Petes, but I also buy with great care.

Jan 8, 2013
I just wonder how many people have spent 400 to 800 dollars on a Dunhill that ended up being a crappy pipe, but they never say anything because they're embarrassed to admit their "dunny" they spent so much on was crap. I know they're out there too, I've seen a story pop up from time to time. Same with most factory produced pipes. Except maybe Stanwell. I honestly don't recall ever hearing about a bad Stanwell. Anyone?

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Someone posted recently about a Stanwell that gurgles, but I agree, Stanwell makes an excellent pipes. The gurgle was probably more tobacco related.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I have no idea why anybody still buys these things
I buy Pete's because they smoke great. I also don't bitch and moan over slight imperfections or perceived internet rage perfections.
I don't buy Savinelli pipes because I think they're dumpster fires.
I don't buy Stanwells, because they are predominantly Danish shapes. Not my vibe.
I am concerned why someone would care what I smoke or if my pipe is right for them.
Who gives a shit, it's my pipe.
Did I strike the correct harmony of deceptive brotherhood?

Reactions: mikebailey2

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
I have an estate Stanwell (one of several) that draws weirdly and semi-whistles, but it's so beautiful and well-proportioned that I just pretend it's not happening. My working theory is that someone (post-production) messed with the airway and did it badly. One of these days I might take some friction to the stem, or maybe not.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I have a few Petes and plan to continue purchasing if the fancy strikes me.

I bought my first Pete in 1983. One of the Mark Twain 1980s version. It is a major, major fine smoking instrument. I also purchased one of the Anniversary Pipes, which also smokes very well indeed.

However, I also fell for the Aran new sandblast Prince hype and purchased a 406 from SP.com. It is a disappointment, my very first with Peterson.The smallish bowl has some sort of goop coating at the bottom of the bowl near the air hole. Not good.

But, let the buyer beware, or to be poetic, Caveat emptor!

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I've got 22 Petes. All bought in the last 3 years and they range from basic Aran 69 (great for lunting), the annual series pipes through to a couple spigots (including a spigot system) and a couple of system pipes. As far as I am concerned all them are good smokers and my biggest problem with them is deciding which ones will be in use for any given day. Will buy more; in fact 2 have just cleared customs in Sydney and should be with me this Friday (a new rusticated Aran and a Calabash).

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
I realize I'm not in the same league with some of you guys, but I have 3 Petes, all older estate pipes and all standard systems. After a little spit and polish, they look great and smoke very well. They are among my favorites. Maybe that is one advantage of buying older Petersons. I also have some Savinellis and a couple of Stanwells and I agree that they are very fine smokers.

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
I have a lot of Peterson’s. I have had 3 minor issues:
(1) A B11 that can get a bit moist if I pack “normal”. This is due to the unorthodox design, as it forces the hole to come in at a high angle. I loosely pack aromatics in there and enjoy.

(2) A St. Patrick’s 2017 shows cosmetic issues on the rim (the varnish bubbles up). This is my “careless smoke” pipe, so not a big deal.

(3) A deluxe 1S from the 80s has its silver ring loose. I’m too lazy to glue it back.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
When I buy a Peterson, I know there might be some issues so I make sure to give the pipe a good going over before I ask for a refund. I've never had to ask for a refund on a Peterson. If it is not up to my terms on how it should smoke, then I gift or trade it in. I have 17 and they all get smoked weekly.
I avoid buying smooth Petersons and stick with sandblasts. This helps with the fills not being obvious plus the have a great sandblast. Also have a nickel mounted 106 that whistles a bit. I just pack it tighter than normal, but it's such a great smoking pipe, I won't allow this to detract.
So yeah, they have their imperfections but imo they offer a great smoke at a good price. I expect there may be minor issues and this does not bother me as long as the pipe smokes good. If I want a pipe that has little to no imperfections, I go for an artisanal piece.
I like Stanwells and have owned a couple. I've had a couple dud Dunhill's as well; never did like Savinelli. It seems if you like Savinelli you don't like Peterson and vice versa. lol

cohibajoe

Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
It's a mixed bag as to QC. I picked up 6 Total 2017, 2018 Christmas and 2016, 2018 St. Pats for $65-80 when 25%

pop's up every now and then. For that price I am good and done with Peterson.

Status
Not open for further replies.