PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My return to SP got a little screwed up. I rec'd an email that it was being evaluated. I emailed Glen W and SP US and asked why it was being evaluated. Stephen M @ SP US replied that they get 1000's of pipes per month and it takes time to sort them.

I reminded him (via quote) that my new pipe was being returned for a replacement stem from the UK, and it better not be evaluated for resale. He replied that it had gotten sent to the estates department and he had forgotten. I guess they are busy folks, but geesh, it's only been a few days since we communicated and he sent me two mailing labels (first one a .JPG....too fuzzy to use). I would have thought I might be fresh in their minds.
I don't think that I'll see my pipe for a while...

George D's comments a page back about not being able to select the pipe you prefer is spot on. But, no doubt, Peterson will keep releasing POY pipes like it was a Black Friday sale, until we stop buying them. We are voting with our dollars.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I meant that in last year’s release they had something called Dark Smooth which I think was above Heritage and Ebony. It seems like the Terracotta stain was made instead of the Dark Smooth.

Photo from All Pipes Considered: Peterson's Pipe of the Year 2022 | Smokingpipes.com - https://www.smokingpipes.com/smokingpipesblog/single.cfm/post/all-pipes-considered-petersons-pipe-the-year-2022

(By the way if anyone has one of these let me know!)

View attachment 240804
I have one! I’m keeping it! :)✌️

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I haven't bought a Peterson in quite some time because of quality control issues. Maybe they've tightened their quality control in recent years, but my purchase of a Deerstalker a few weeks ago says otherwise. After admiring the blast I tried to insert a pipe cleaner down to the bowl. No go. I fiddled with it. No go. I took the stem off and here is what I found. This is a nearly straight shanked pipe for God's sake. No crazy angles like on a full bent. This is a complete fail. They make thousands of this model every year . Their tooling must be archaic to produce results like this. Needless to say I returned the pipe.
PXL_20230814_203542549.jpg

Last edited:

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
FWIW ---

The quality / precision of a pipe's execution falls on a spectrum that graphs as a bell curve.

This is true whether it's factory or artisan made.

The fussiness / emotional involvement of customers ALSO falls on a bell curve. (The reason doesn't matter. Some smokers care about certain details intensely, while others can't be made to care.)

When all pipes were sold at walk-in stores---which was effectively every pipe ever made until twenty or so years ago---the "matching up" of the pipe bell curve and the customer bell curve happened naturally. No effort required.

In the Internet Age, though, it's the biggest problem. Provide a dozen expertly-taken photos for every pipe on offer? Logistically impossible.

The only option for a seller is to have a no-questions exchange policy (as long as the pipe is returned undamaged and unsmoked, of course).

Pain in the ass for buyers? Yup, but so was spending days on the road city-hopping to see what B&M's had for sale, which is how it was before the Internet. The price of being able to examine in hand and exert "personal quality control" was vacation days, lots of gas money, and so forth. It was either that or limit your purchases to what was available in your own town.

Returning merchandise you're unhappy with that you bought over the Internet is also a pain in the ass... but every time you go shopping you have more pipes to choose from than pre-Interneters saw in a lifetime.

So it's a wash which way is (was) "better".

My recommendation if you are a fussy buyer is simply to avoid the menu click thing, and pick up the phone. I have NEVER failed to connect with someone who agreed to be my eyes when ordering a pipe. Not once.

As for off-center shank airways, that subject was covered in depth a while back:

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
I haven't bought a Peterson in quite some time because of quality control issues. Maybe they've tightened their quality control in recent years, but my purchase of a Deerstalker a few weeks ago says otherwise. After admiring the blast I tried to insert a pipe cleaner down to the bowl. No go. I fiddled with it. No go. I took the stem off and here is what I found. This is a nearly straight shanked pipe for God's sake. No crazy angles like on a full bent. This is a complete fail. They make thousands of this model every year . Their tooling must be archaic to produce results like this. Needless to say I returned the pipe.
View attachment 240880
I do not think that this is a mistake they drill them like this normally...I ve got several drilled like this...I almost never need to slide a cleaner during smoking it so not a big deal for me..i do not smoke aromatics

Reactions: simong

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Yeah that looks like it could be it. Sometimes it’s been easy to tell what’s a Dark Smooth and what’s a Heritage. In this case I’d only be confident after reading the box label. Though I’m very confident that that’s a lovely pipe 😍

The Dark Smooth shows the grain very easily whereas the Heritage mainly shows a dark, even stain.

Top photo: Dark Smooth between a Rusticated and Sandblast.
Middle photo: Dark Smooth
Bottom photo: Heritage

IMG_6936.jpeg
IMG_6931.jpeg
IMG_6939.jpeg

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
My return to SP got a little screwed up. I rec'd an email that it was being evaluated. I emailed Glen W and SP US and asked why it was being evaluated. Stephen M @ SP US replied that they get 1000's of pipes per month and it takes time to sort them.

I reminded him (via quote) that my new pipe was being returned for a replacement stem from the UK, and it better not be evaluated for resale. He replied that it had gotten sent to the estates department and he had forgotten. I guess they are busy folks, but geesh, it's only been a few days since we communicated and he sent me two mailing labels (first one a .JPG....too fuzzy to use). I would have thought I might be fresh in their minds.
I don't think that I'll see my pipe for a while...

George D's comments a page back about not being able to select the pipe you prefer is spot on. But, no doubt, Peterson will keep releasing POY pipes like it was a Black Friday sale, until we stop buying them. We are voting with our dollars.

The Customer service you got sounds similar to what happened to me. Sounds like staffing, policy, and procedure issues dealing with the amount of volume they are getting things are falling between the cracks.

Reactions: AroEnglish

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Yeah that looks like it could be it. Sometimes it’s been easy to tell what’s a Dark Smooth and what’s a Heritage. In this case I’d only be confident after reading the box label. Though I’m very confident that that’s a lovely pipe 😍

The Dark Smooth shows the grain very easily whereas the Heritage mainly shows a dark, even stain.

View attachment 240863
View attachment 240964
View attachment 240963
I haven't purchased a Pete Heritage because they look almost black. Not a fan of black pipes. Are they black or more of a Hershey's chocolate? I've never seen one other than online photos.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK

View attachment 240863
View attachment 240964
View attachment 240963
Here’s a dark smooth up against a heritage.
I thought they’d be a more popular finish than the heritage, but they seem to have fizzled out.
IMG_3852.jpeg

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
It seems like terracotta just slotted into the dark smooth slot for this release. Were the darks smooths know to have fills?
I may say some terracotas have fills and some do not..I do not remember dark smooth and if there are fills on them or not...But prefer light smooth myself.I am not a fan of heritage finish.There was nice terra cotta and natural poy 23 at the Columbus pipe show...its a decent shape but nothing I absolutely have to own.I got me 20230819_111740_HDR.jpg1970 made De luxe instead for 40% of the price of POY 23

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Well, very interesting. My pipe was delivered yesterday, sans box.
The button is as it should be. I always fine tune any stem, Peterson or artisan.
I was a little surprised to see this level of oxidation, with 2000 grit paper.
10 minutes, and now I have a stem that meets my standard.
I do this to every pipe rec'd, so no knock on Peterson.
20230824_101730.jpg20230824_102619.jpg

And, well, well, well, look at this.
Most P-lipes do not pass a cleaner. With a military stem, it's a moot point, but makes me feel good about the drilling!
The polished, inner rim, had a little bit of the Peterson bowl coating that I love, easily removed with a micromesh sheet. (I've noticed the sloppy coating on pipes shown here)

And, a proper button lip!
20230824_103043.jpg
20230824_103443.jpg
20230824_104021.jpg

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Well, very interesting. My pipe was delivered yesterday, sans box.
The button is as it should be. I always fine tune any stem, Peterson or artisan.
I was a little surprised to see this level of oxidation, with 2000 grit paper.
10 minutes, and now I have a stem that meets my standard.
I do this to every pipe rec'd, so no knock on Peterson.
View attachment 242189View attachment 242190

And, well, well, well, look at this.
Most P-lipes do not pass a cleaner. With a military stem, it's a moot point, but makes me feel good about the drilling!
The polished, inner rim, had a little bit of the Peterson bowl coating that I love, easily removed with a micromesh sheet. (I've noticed the sloppy coating on pipes shown here)

And, a proper button lip!
View attachment 242191
View attachment 242192
View attachment 242193
Looking good, Al! Can you say what about hitting it with 2000 grit does for stems? Is it just normal the factories/artisans only sand to a lower grit?

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Looking good, Al! Can you say what about hitting it with 2000 grit does for stems? Is it just normal the factories/artisans only sand to a lower grit?
Well, I did remove oxidation at 2000 grit. I also then polish with white diamond (as any maker would) then also Meguiars Plastic Polish, that steps yields an even better finish. Its just my way. All my estates get this treatment.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Well, I did remove oxidation at 2000 grit. I also then polish with white diamond (as any maker would) then also Meguiars Plastic Polish, that steps yields an even better finish. Its just my way. All my estates get this treatment.
So that top photo was black to start then you hit it with 2000 which exposed the oxidation?