PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lenticular

Lurker
Mar 9, 2015
I am now using Peterson pipes on a regular basis especially my

2015 St Patricks Day. My question is how often should I change the charcoal filters.

Should it be on every fill or can they last longer.

Thanks in anticipation.

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
Depends what you are smoking.
After my pipe has cooled down I always remove my 9mm filter and see what shape it is in. If it looks okay I'll let it dry and put a fresh one in the pipe for the next smoke. I probably get 2-4 bowls per filter with this kind of rotation and have never had a problem. I bought a box of a couple of hundred when I last ordered a pipe from Europe which makes them pretty cheap.
I do not smoke aromatics or any particularly wet tobaccos which might change things.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Just make it simpler for yourself and don't use a filter and one less thing to be concerned about. :wink:

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Take charcoal filter, throw in trash, use a pipe cleaner instead. I never liked the charcoal filter but ever since getting this tip from a forum member I love it.
http://postimg.cc/image/49n0mctgl/
Untitled.jpg

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
One filter per smoke, or use an adapter. Smoking without is not an option for me, the draw is way too open, and you have a huge area that collects crap and needs to be throughly cleaned more often.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I do like Castleford and Big Ben filters. Usually only get two smokes out of each filter, and that is indoors. Outdoors in South Louisiana I have to replace one every time. I have tried Vauen and Stanwell filters, and do not like them as much. They have a tighter draw than the Castleford and Big Ben do. I have also tried the Savinelli Balsa for 9mm, and while they seem to not hinder the draw, they don't absorb the moisture as well.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I have several pipes that can use filters, but I hate the idea of using them. I try, if at all possible, not to take my pipe apart until I wish to do a good cleaning. With a a filter that is obviously impossible as they must be changed after a few smokes. I like the ability of at least having the option of being able to run a pipe cleaner through the stem while smoking if needed, albeit I rarely do so. But, with any type of filter you obviously cannot do so. Also, through the years, I've gotten in the habit of running a pipe cleaner through the stem into the bowl (if possible) when I load a pipe, which again, is impossible with any type of filter in the way. Then there is that crazy little pesky quirk when a small piece of tobacco gets stuck in the shank which can easily be taken care of by running a pipe cleaner through the stem, but if there is any type of filter in the way... ? Just my personal opinion on the folly of filters. :wink:

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I have a number of pipes that call for filters. I've installed non-filter adapters in all of them. Without the adapters the draw isn't right and they collect all sorts of stuff in the place where the filter is supposed to go. I like they way they smoke without the filters but that's a matter of personal taste.

lenticular

Lurker
Mar 9, 2015
Can you please explain a "Non filter adaptor" as its not something I have previously heard about.
Thanks for all your replies.
Much appreciated.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
The filter adapter is a simple tube that you put in the filter space and it typically reduces the airway from 9mm to 3-4mm. Here's one:
RJOZMlC.jpg

lenticular

Lurker
Mar 9, 2015
Thankyou very much for taking the trouble to answer my question and

for the very useful illustration.

Kind regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.