PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveNH

Lurker
May 14, 2013
I have a bunch of Pete's. Some are P lip. One in particular, a sitter 306, is a P lip. It is my best smoker. I'm a wet smoker and the military mount with the system pipes are helping with that particular affliction.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
it altered the flavor of tobacco by directing the smoke further back in the mouth away from the front of the tongue where the tastebuds for sweetness supposedly reside. I have a Pete silver cap bent apple with a P-lip and struggle to get a flavorful smoke out of it.
Tastebuds have the same receptors there are no specialized areas. The plip directs smoke to the roof of your mouth so you don’t experience the same initial impact of flavor as you would with a pipe that draws the smoke across your tongue. To do so requires you direct the smoke to your taste buds. This is pretty simple if you close your mouth and allow the smoke to roll around. It’s a different smoking experience and requires a bit of fiddling to get the most out of it.
My experiencce with plips is confined to bent de luxe system pipes with vulcanite stems. I find these pipes are easy to clench and enjoy their unique contribution to a blend.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Some here are not acknowledging the fact that no one places the tip (fishtail) of the bit in exactly the same place in the mouth as the next guy. A person who has the bit straight, barely inserted will of course have the smoke cross the tongue. That same bit, held deeper in the mouth, say by the molars, may have the smoke directed by the teeth to the back of the jaw. I do this and get taste from rolling the smoke in the mouth before expelling through the nose or mouth. A P-lip might move the smoke to the roof or the upper teeth, depending on where it rests. And, if one is in the rain, bowl inverted, P-lip downward in the mouth well ...

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Why smoke a pipe which doesn't deliver flavor and is uncomfortable in your mouth? Masochist?
I might be a masochist but it's too soon to tell LOL. The pipe is beautiful and relatively new and I've been experimenting with it to see if I can crack the code. I may very well end up selling it after I've suffered enough.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My one P-lip gives no problem with pipe cleaners, but maybe it's just this pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.