PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

forestman

Lurker
Jan 16, 2013
I recently picked up a little pipe described as a "gouged, cream coloured bowl with a marking on the stem like a striking snake". The bowl had the cratered look of some 70's vintage Peterson Meer's I had seen on this site. The stem appeared to be a P lip. The "striking snake" was unfamiliar but I was curious and the investment was low. Upon arrival the striking snake turned out to be the Peterson P if viewed upside-down. I had not seen any Pete's with this style of bowl except those 70's vintage system pipes previously described. This pipe is a straight shanked, straight stem about 5.75 inches long. I wasn't sure if it was authentic or a random bowl to which someone had attached a Peterson stem. I contacted Peterson's in Dublin and sent them a photo. A very gracious lady sent me a quick answer stating she had "reviewed of old catalogues and as near as (she) can tell the pipe is a Peterson meerschaum with Aboriginal Finish, shape 87s. I am curious as to whether anyone has encountered or seen a similar pipe. (If I was more skilled and techno savy I would post a photo but alas, this is my first post and I will require some time to determine how that is accomplished.)

seamusjft

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2012
Hey forest man. Ok this is how I upload photos here. Get a photo bucket account http://s1354.beta.photobucket.com/

Upload the photo and when you view it to the right of your photo it will say image links. Copy the one that says IMG code and paste it to your post n this forum.

Feel free to contact me for more detailed instructions should you need to
Sean

forestman

Lurker
Jan 16, 2013
IMG_0009_zpsec4603bb.jpg
IMG_0003copy_zpsc2220b3b.jpg

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
That's a Peterson Meer alright. It's African Meerschaum, mined in Tanzania and shaped in a factory on the Isle of Man that made African Meers for GBD, Brigham, Comoys and others. They stopped making Petes there in the 70s but the factory continued until the 80s making the Manxman brand. Then the Tanzainan Meerschaum dried up and was no more. You have a smokable piece of history, there. If it smokes anything like mine, it will be a great smoking piece of History. Unfortunately, the exact age is near impossible to determine but chances are it's 60s or 70s.
IMAG0092_zps6616a9f9.jpg

Briar Boy

(astrange1)
Apr 8, 2013
Great pipes The African meerschaums, the majority were made by Laxey Pipes Ltd. in Great Britain and then branded with various brands, Peterson, Barling, Comoy, Thomson, Nording, Manx etc., if I could only have one pipe it would definitely be an African meerschaum, congrats on your purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.