PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I thought 85 was the first year of the rerelease of the mark Twain, and not the original series.

Of course a boxed unsmoked pipe will fetch more return on the secondary market, but I think the real value of this pipe would be as a birthyear for someone who likes Petes. But if you have no intention of selling it, smoke it...but there’s no rush to do so.

Oh and Ykm/100LMV

rockvillepete

Might Stick Around
Feb 21, 2013
By now this reply is probably irrelevant but the original 400 numbered Limited Edition Mark Twain pipes were released between 1980 & 1981, not 1985 and have either an O or P hallmark. The pipes were stamped LIMITED EDITION along with n/400, where n is the pipe number. Also, the Peterson P on the stem was fashioned from gold rather than the usual foil stamp.

There were a number of subsequent releases over the years which were not numbered or stamped LIMITED EDITION. Seeing your Mark Twain is hallmarked 1985 it’s probably from one of these releases. Check your pipe for the limited edition and number stampings. If your pipe doesn’t have these, it’s definitely one of the later releases.

The original 400 numbered limited edition Mark Twain’s are highly collectible and sought-after on the secondary market and command a hefty premium; all the more so if unsmoked.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
I was bought a full set of unsmoked Sherlock pipes from 1989 to 1990, smoking them to death, why ? because they were made to smoke, my Partner would not be happy with me if I didn't smoke them, She loves them as well.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
God, can we stick a fork in this one?
It's kind of hilarious that it got revived eleven months after a lurker who was still a lurker, posted it, and then, as an excuse to advertise pipes being sold on ebay. And then, three years later by someone posting a completely irrelevant comment about it.

This is the most absurd necro thread I've ever had the pleasure of participating in. So...

I say, to the guy who was a lurker four years ago ... uh, I don't really have an opinion.

Reactions: jpberg