PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hebel

Lurker
Feb 26, 2011
Needs help choosing my first briar pipe, trying to decide between a Peterson Kapet vs a Nording Viking, please advise, price is the same on both about $55. Thanks gentlemen.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Which one do YOU like better? Which feels better in your hand? Based on reputation alone, I'd say they're both good, serviceable pipes. But you're the one who has to smoke it. Get the one YOU like the best. Then save up your pennies and go buy the other one later.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I'd have to vote Peterson. I've only smoked one Nording and own one Peterson. The Nording suffered a burnout very early in its life and never really smoked all that good. The one Peterson that I own is a very consistent good smoker.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I dont think Nording should be ruled out, all of them I've had are fine smokers, but I would probably vote for the Peterson.

Either way, I'm sure you will be happy with the quality, so just pick the one you like best.

jasongone

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 23, 2011
i have one peterson and one nording... love them both.

get whatever appeals to you.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Never had a Nording, but my Pete smokes really well. Bowl stays fairly cool, has a great draw, doesn't gargle, nice grain on it, and a vulcanite stem. Well balanced and great for clenching.

nyed001

Might Stick Around
Feb 1, 2011
Theyre both top-notch but Id go with the Pete.Two out of my three Nords took a bit longer to break in while most of my Petes seemed baccy broken by the second or third bowls.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
All things be equal I don't think you can go wrong with either.
I agree with JC, and also with bigvan ...
Which one do YOU like better? Which feels better in your hand? Based on reputation alone, I'd say they're both good, serviceable pipes. But you're the one who has to smoke it. Get the one YOU like the best. Then save up your pennies and go buy the other one later.
I have 2 Nordings and 3 Petersons. I like them both. Both brands make a wide variety of different quality levels of pipes. In some respects, I like Peterson's better and in other respects, I like Nordings better.
At this point, my decision between the two would be how it looks, how it feels in the hand, and mouth, and what the interior of the bowl looks like, as far as coating / no coating, and how accurate the hole is drilled at the bottom.
I would also check the symmetry of the bowl, shank and stem - that they all line up.
You'd be surprised how many do not form a straight line.

Status
Not open for further replies.