Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

King Bulldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
The heading 'British pipes' is not referring to pipes made in the British Isles though is it? We can play a semantic game about the 'British Isles' all we want. But if that is the case, Guinness can be 'British', Taytos can be 'British', Clonakilty products can be 'British', any and all Irish Republicans can be 'British', you can be 'British'. Come on lad.
It seems to be laddy. British as a name for people is confinded to England itself while products coming out of any of the British Isles would be considered British. It's basic understanding that many in Ireland understand and you brits don't. You want specifics then make an English, Welsh, Scottish, and Irish made section. The Isles are an archipelago named The British Isles so anything made from any of the countries there would be considered British. The people do by their country of origin. So British pipes are of the Isles and the British people are of the country of England.

Reactions: jpberg

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
The heading 'British pipes' is not referring to pipes made in the British Isles though is it? We can play a semantic game about the 'British Isles' all we want. But if that is the case, Guinness can be 'British', Taytos can be 'British', Clonakilty products can be 'British', any and all Irish Republicans can be 'British', you can be 'British'. Come on lad.
Who said the thinking man is dead?
He’s alive and he smokes Peterson.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
It seems to be laddy. British as a name for people is confinded to England itself while products coming out of any of the British Isles would be considered British. It's basic understanding that many in Ireland understand and you brits don't. You want specifics then make an English, Welsh, Scottish, and Irish made section. The Isles are an archipelago named The British Isles so anything made from any of the countries there would be considered British. The people do by their country of origin. So British pipes are of the Isles and the British people are of the country of England.
I’m wearing a sweater right now that says made in Ireland

jaingorenard

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
Don't know how you're using those terms, but certainly in the UK 'British' means originating in Great Britain. When I go to the supermarket, there's Irish beef and British beef. I would not consider RoI Petersons British pipes.

Here's my Irish Second I got in the Dublin shop. I love it.

Attachments

• 17066520514383041372888368603632.jpg
    17066520514383041372888368603632.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
Well I tell you what. When my parents came here in the 60s, and the old bill were kicking the crap out of my dad, I don't think he would be helped if he reminded John Bull that Ireland is part of the British Isles. When my mum wasn't allowed to use the bath on her wedding day, because she was considered dirty, I don't think it would have helped either. I know well about the British Isles, and you know well what is meant when we say 'British pipes'. I couldn't care less that someone calls a Peterson a 'British pipe', but letsbe clear about it, it's not what it is.

King Bulldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Well I tell you what. When my parents came here in the 60s, and the old bill were kicking the crap out of my dad, I don't think he would be helped if he reminded John Bull that Ireland is part of the British Isles. When my mum wasn't allowed to use the bath on her wedding day, because she was considered dirty, I don't think it would have helped either. I know well about the British Isles, and you know well what is meant when we say 'British pipes'. I couldn't care less that someone calls a Peterson a 'British pipe', but letsbe clear about it, it's not what it is.
Drop it fella. I made my point. Now bugger off.