PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
Inspired by GL Pease's The Virginia Cream, I've been visiting (and revisiting) aromatics. Once I get familiar with a blend, I try to write a review for it. Here's an unexpected hit: Peterson Founder's Choice.

What starts as a sugary and rummy smoke is quickly accompanied by a playful mango presence and a hint of sweet vanilla. The cube cut burns slow and a tad hot, producing a creamy and pleasant smoke. While I am tempted to claim the rather faint tobacco taste is its only defect, I cannot in good conscience do so, for the joyful flavors in this blend do not make me wish for more.
This is quite possibly the best Peterson aromatic blend currently in production.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It's a good aromatic. I enjoy it. It is the same as the 2016 St. Patrick's Day blend, renamed. I have a few tins of each.
Founder's Choice is the "2015", the 2016, was the Irish Cream, coconut and orange.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Don't get me wrong, just wish they still made the 2016. I love them both. :(
img_20160912_0152511-337x600.jpg

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
Wait a minute, so which one is it? Founders choice is the same blend as St Patrick 2015, is that right?

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
This is quite possibly the best Peterson aromatic blend currently in production.
I'm a fan of the Sunset Breeze, but I find most Peterson blends to be love 'em or hate 'em, worst one being Sherlock Holmes and best being the Irish Flake and the University Flake. I'm currently on a tin of Special Reserve 2015 and the jury's still out. I'm looking forward to trying some Perfect Plug and some Balkan Delight, but this description of Founder's Choice isn't getting me too excited.
I'll pass on this one!

Jan 8, 2013
Founder's Choice is the "2015", the 2016, was the Irish Cream, coconut and orange.
Yes... sorry, I got my date's mixed up. Thank you for correcting me on that, Duane. I'd hate to steer someone wrong. All this talk about the blend has me sort of craving it, if I can drag myself away from Black Frigate long enough.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Me too, sadly I didn't stock the 2015, the 2016 I did pile up on, and I like it a lot too!

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Miss the tin art. I've also read that W. O. Larsen's "Epoch" is the same blend as the 2015.

Jan 8, 2013
I've also read that W. O. Larsen's "Epoch" is the same blend as the 2015.
I've heard that as well, and searched high and low to find some to see if that were true. I couldn't find it anywhere. Seems none of the online retailers carry it. I thought maybe it was just not sold in America. So I checked Danish Pipe Shop thinking if anyone had it they would. They didn't have it either.

Status
Not open for further replies.