PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
Anyone else have one of these? It's a great pipe but the stem is almost impossible remove. Even after leaving it in the freezer for an hour it is very hard to remove and very hard to get back in after putting in the freezer again. Does anyone know of a way to make this easier? I'm afraid I'll break it.
Thanks.

Jan 8, 2013
Are you twisting it clockwise while trying to remove it and replace it? Or just trying to pull it straight out? Hopefully the former, and gripping near where the stem meets the shank. I've seen a lot of guys mention rubbing graphite pencil on the stem to loosen it. You could try that as well.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
You can get graphite powder most places that make keys..if that doesn't help, you can "sand" the tenon with 0000 steel wool

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
Twisting it clockwise is impossible, I can get it out twisting counter-clockwise though. The graphite is a great suggestion, I have some powdered graphite left over from building pinewood derby cars, I'll give that a try.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
I have read that you can slightly heat them over a candle also. Never tried it but have read it in a restoration forum

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
Send it to me I'll fix it for you. I did 5 Pete Draculas for sparrowhawk all had tight stems. Just send me a pm.
Thanks for the offer but I tried the pencil trick and it worked like a charm.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Yeah, my Dracula pipe was SUPER tight as well. I ended up putting it in the freezer the first time and then rubbing it down with pencil lead/graphite once I had it out, which helped a great deal.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Apparently easily fixable, but Peterson should take note. People shouldn't be fixing an almost new pipe. I have six,

I think it is, Petersons and they have all been great. But the company has to keep the quality up, up, up, so we can

all enjoy their mostly wonderful pipes. Love the designs, the lore, the finishes, the bands, etc. etc.

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
You get what you pay for.
Peterson makes a good pipe, been smoking them for close to 20 years. I own pipes that cost a lot more but I keep coming back to Petersons. I don't smoke them because they are what I can afford but rather they are what I like and trust to give me a good smoke and they've never let me down.

Status
Not open for further replies.