PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OldWill

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 9, 2022
Blanco, Texas
Virginia blends need to be smoked very slowly and, in my opinion, all the way to the bottom in order to get all the subtle nuances, including sweetness.
I like this VA Per blend a little better than Escudo (is this blasphemy), but for more depth of flavor I prefer VA Bu Pers with nutty burleys added, such as Brunello Flake.
If this blend continues to disappoint you, you might try adding just a bit of a burley blend to it. Hope this helps.

Mr_houston

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2020
Texas
I recently bought a tin. I also was unimpressed. I just don’t think the VAs carry much richness. There are many VApers I’d rather smoke that are cheaper.

Yes, it’s slightly better than current Escudo, but that’s not much of a standard.

Mar 29, 2016
When I compared the Dunhill version made by STG with the Escudo also made by STG, I didn't find any difference so I preferred the cheaper Escudo.

Reactions: lightmybriar

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
It depends what you prefer in Virginias. These coin cut blends are all better with a lot of age. I actually prefer Davidoff Flake Medallions due to the cavendish center and some additional additive or topping that gives it a little more interest for me. I'm not sure why the Peterson is so expensive compared to the Escudo. It's even more than the Davidoff. Same factory, same components, same process.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I love Paul Mason brandy. It’s $11 a bottle. I tried Corvasier, which is four times more expensive. Didn’t care for it. I feel privileged that the cheap stuff is more to my taste. I can appreciate the nuances of nicer things, but I’m no longer driven to “train” myself to like them simply because of that.

I know what you mean about the Navy Rolls. In my opinion, there’s nothing jaw-dropping there. HOWEVER, if they suit your taste, then enjoy! If not, give your wallet a big hug and explore elsewhere for something that suits you better. ?

Gregg1980

Might Stick Around
Virginia blends need to be smoked very slowly and, in my opinion, all the way to the bottom in order to get all the subtle nuances, including sweetness.
I like this VA Per blend a little better than Escudo (is this blasphemy), but for more depth of flavor I prefer VA Bu Pers with nutty burleys added, such as Brunello Flake.
If this blend continues to disappoint you, you might try adding just a bit of a burley blend to it. Hope this helps.
I think that sounds like a good plan.

Reactions: dunnyboy

AuroraSurrealis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 24, 2019
Finland
I really like DLNR, one of my absolute favorites of all time. Got to admit that I haven’t smoked Peterson branded one but the earlier version by STG. I assume that only tin label has changed since Navy Rolls got under Peterson brand, but can’t really say if there’s been changes in quality of leaves used in blending process since then.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
With tobacco blends, I tend to credit the best experience I've had with them rather than the worst. I've had some great smokes with DLNR as well as some mediocre ones. No bad ones fortunately. The best smokes reveal the blend's potential. The mediocre ones reveal extrinsic factors, generally my limitations. DLNR is one of my favorite VaPers.

Reactions: Ag®o