PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Not entirely clear from the post above, but apparently they will have vulcanite stems this year.
If they are, I can see myself buying my first ever ‘Christmas Pipe’.
Surprised they haven’t been released yet, popped into a supermarket the other day to cool down & escape the heat on the street, only to notice mince pies are already on the shelves! Lol

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
What are the odds Peterson ever released one with an actual gold band? Maybe with some holly leaves etched in? I find it strange Dunhill would only do that on certain Christmas pipe years, while others were plain as could be.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
What are the odds Peterson ever released one with an actual gold band? Maybe with some holly leaves etched in? I find it strange Dunhill would only do that on certain Christmas pipe years, while others were plain as could be.
Probably near 0% if you’re talking any part of it being actual gold. Gold colored? Maybe. It just doesn’t seem like gold is a popular/trendy color these days.

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
Good looking pipes, the red sandblast and silver band especially. I was really hoping for another round of Spigots though, wishing I'd grabbed a copper spigot 107 last year. So I think I'll wait for the Black Friday sale and pick up a Green Spigot as this years "Christmas" Pete.

Reactions: AroEnglish

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Balatonalmádi, Hungary
Red pipes are not my favourites, and I prefer acrylic stems usually, but I have to admit that these are some handsome pipes. Although, I will skip it this year, I'm more interested in their Halloween pipes.
It's still weird that the Christmas series is released in September, meanwhile Halloween series will come only in October.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Silver being $0.74/gram, it really shouldn't affect the pricing at all.
Honestly, I would prefer nickel over something else over silver, anything that is more tarnish resistant.

Of course, I don't know what could work in place of silver other than platinum or palladium, but I don't know how those are for workability or like, maybe flexibility they might need for friction type spigot tenons or whatever, or what their relative costs are compared to silver.

Silver is pretty when polished... for about a week, then looks ugly af unless you're going to keep polishing it forever.

Reactions: Servant King

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Honestly, I would prefer nickel over something else over silver, anything that is more tarnish resistant.

Of course, I don't know what could work in place of silver other than platinum or palladium, but I don't know how those are for workability or like, maybe flexibility they might need for friction type spigot tenons or whatever, or what their relative costs are compared to silver.

Silver is pretty when polished... for about a week, then looks ugly af unless you're going to keep polishing it forever.
Must be environmental or other issues. I find silver and vulcanite to be very low maintenance. I don't remember the last time I wiped the stem and band on this one with a jeweler's cloth.

20230918_041809.jpg

An anthracite band would've been nice for the look Peterson was going for.

Last edited:
Reactions: sardonicus87

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
My one Peterson (spigot, acrylic stem) sits in a pipe rack on the mantle, not in the sun but in open air in an air-conditioned house, and it has been several months since it was polished. It's not super bad and black or anything, but it's distinctly brassy looking and has had this brassy look since maybe 2 weeks after the only time I ever polished it.

Even then, I only polished it because there was a black finger-print mark on it.

PXL_20230918_084022016.jpgPXL_20230918_084011870.jpg

The unexposed area, for contrast:
PXL_20230918_084916328.jpg