PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I'd love to try these, and would be happy to arrange a group purchase if a tobacconist, in Turkey perhaps, would be willing to ship to the United States.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
From what I understand, those blends (coded in Turkey as TPT and YD) are rebranded reiterations of the two discontinued mixtures famous in Turkey since the 1930s: Tūrk Pipo Tütünü (the Oriental flake, TPT) and Yayladağ (the Latakia flake, YD). Both those original blends got raving reviews on Tobaccoreviews.com (search for Tabac Turc brand). The recipes and tobacco strains used seem to be the same, except that the new YD has two versions with different percentage of Latakia: 20% and 40%, when in the original version it used to be 24%. Some say Yayladağ tobacco is the Turkish variety of the Syrian Latakia strain, Shek el Bint, used unsmoked in those blends. The Latakia here is made of the Aegean Izmir strain, so it differs from the Cyprian and Syrian.
Definitely, worth a try. I ordered a pouch of each from Turkey, will share my tasting notes here.
Care to share a link for the place that you ordered from?

cersono

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
Vallis Lacrimarum
Care to share a link for the place that you ordered from?
I would have posted the link in my first posting, if it was a sort of online store.
Unfortunately, it's not: my order is sent to someone who's packing a shipment of other goods for me, he'll buy the tobacco in person from the producer. In Turkey, those blends aren't sold under the Pesse Canoe branding, they're marketed there as TPT-50 and YD, but those are exactly the same blends that are sold in Japan, China, Malaysia, Indonesia and Russia as Pesse Canoe.

Given that the blends are sold in China, maybe there's some sence to search in Chinese tobacco stores? Chinese sellers are known for their low shipping rates.

Reactions: woodsroad

cersono

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
Vallis Lacrimarum
And here is the recipe for the original Yayladag (the Latakia flake) blend, which the tobaccorewievers raved about:

Seems to be consistent with the Pesse Canoe descriptions, except that PC has two versions with different fire-cured (Latakia) content.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
And here is the recipe for the original Yayladag (the Latakia flake) blend, which the tobaccorewievers raved about:

Seems to be consistent with the Pesse Canoe descriptions, except that PC has two versions with different fire-cured (Latakia) content.

Thank you, Cersono, that’s great information!

cersono

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
Vallis Lacrimarum
Well, the tobacco is here, Oriental Broken Flake and Latakia 40 Broken Flake, a 50g pouch of each. Have smoked them both.
After I've smoked enough bowls to share the experience, I'll post my reviews here and on tobaccoreviews (where I've already submitted both blends to the database).
Just two short preliminary bits:
- if you're thinking of spending a fortune for acquiring some Pesse Canoe from another end of the globe, don't.
- If you're choosing between the Oriental and Latakia blends, choose Latakia.

Last edited:

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
I smoked the Oriental Flake last night and it was heavenly, it does have a very subtle fruit topping though but plays well with the tobaccos and doesn't overpower. Tonight I'll try the 20 I think.

The flakes are pretty thick cut kind of reminds me of SG flakes in terms of consistency, maybe even slightly thicker. They rub out easy.

The tins are poorly sealed though, you can just pop the tops no problem after removing the plastic seal. Was worried they would be super dried out but the moisture content was good after rubbing out.

Yambo

Might Stick Around
Jan 11, 2023
Spain
I just lit a pipe with Oriental Flake on it and came to look for information on it. I'm not much into orientals, but I find it nice.

All the tins in my usual tobacco shop were sold in a matter of days (I was lucky to get samples from a friend), but my DM's are always open to tobacco trading if anyone is still interested and they become available again.

EDIT: I'm halfway through the pipe and it's very good. I might be more into orientals than I previously thought...

Last edited:
Reactions: didimauw

Dolomitico

Lurker
Jun 2, 2022
It is my everyday tobacco. İ smoke it even in summertime . İt is a different experience but i love it.

By the way, I have 100% turkish latakia in my own stash (my own DİY beccy) . The smoke of it is the densest one among the other tobaccos i experienced upto now. İt burns very well. Consistent and burns at low temp. İt is a powerful tobacco. Most probably they blend it with other tobaccos to balance the dominance of turkish latakia in pesse canoe.

PS. The tobaccos in this blend grow on a very active fault zone in anatolia. Most probably, for that reason, it has a unique natural earthy/fruity aromas.

my suggestion: just try and decide yourself if you are looking for a different dense smoke experience. .