PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I spoke with Greg on Instagram about Orientals (Embarcadero specifically) about a month ago, and he let me know that I'd probably be interested in an upcoming new blend from him around March, so this checks out.

Edit: confused pesse with pease, please ignore.

Reactions: bullet08 and yanoJL

tirano1996

Lurker
Mar 10, 2023
Hey I can provide some information as I currently live in Turkey and bought both of these blends at a tobacco stand in Ankara. These tins are marketed differently in Turkey due to strict tobacco advertising laws. The oriental flake is called TPT and it is quite good. I emailed the owners about the component tobaccos for this blend and this is their answer: "In our TPT product, Yayladağ, Aegean, Bitlis, Turkish type virginia oriental tobaccos that we obtain from various regions of Turkey are used. These tobaccos are kept in presses to keep the washing high with natural sweeteners (honey, molasses, plum, rum, etc.)." So this is actually an aromatic oriental flake and it has a very unique taste profile and exclusively uses tobacco sourced from around Turkey, it does need a long drying time.

The latakia flake is called YD and it smells quite smoky! I have not tried smoking it yet but here is the description by the owner of Gladora Tobacco: "In our Yd product, it is shown by using Aegean, Bitlis, Adıyaman and Latakia tobacco, which is our own production."

They press the tobaccos for 90 days then package them. I'm glad to have these guys around as it is ridiculously difficult to get pipe tobacco in Turkey otherwise. Hope this helps!

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Hey I can provide some information as I currently live in Turkey and bought both of these blends at a tobacco stand in Ankara. These tins are marketed differently in Turkey due to strict tobacco advertising laws. The oriental flake is called TPT and it is quite good. I emailed the owners about the component tobaccos for this blend and this is their answer: "In our TPT product, Yayladağ, Aegean, Bitlis, Turkish type virginia oriental tobaccos that we obtain from various regions of Turkey are used. These tobaccos are kept in presses to keep the washing high with natural sweeteners (honey, molasses, plum, rum, etc.)." So this is actually an aromatic oriental flake and it has a very unique taste profile and exclusively uses tobacco sourced from around Turkey, it does need a long drying time.

The latakia flake is called YD and it smells quite smoky! I have not tried smoking it yet but here is the description by the owner of Gladora Tobacco: "In our Yd product, it is shown by using Aegean, Bitlis, Adıyaman and Latakia tobacco, which is our own production."

They press the tobaccos for 90 days then package them. I'm glad to have these guys around as it is ridiculously difficult to get pipe tobacco in Turkey otherwise. Hope this helps!
Have you asked if it will be exported to US?

Reactions: kcghost

tirano1996

Lurker
Mar 10, 2023
Have you asked if it will be exported to US?
I asked in a follow-up email, the owner told me that they are currently in negotiations with the European Union, however they are still looking for distributors in the United States as so far they do not have an export agreement. Do you have any suggestions I can give them for distributors? Perhaps even a specific contact? Your help would be appreciated as I would love to see a native Pipe Tobacco Turkish market grow and flower for the enjoyment of all pipe smokers around the world,

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Supposed to be Turkish tins. Two blends. Latakia flake and Oriental flake. Anyone heard of them? Noticed it just got to Japan.
Are you from Japan? I live here and I’ve also been wondering about these. Some day I’ll buy some but I wanted to bump this because I am curious to if anyone else has tried one of these. There are three blends. In addition to the description the kind person above has been nice enough to offer, I can add some other words used to describe these: Izmir (I believe a place in Turkey), Yairadau, and Andumayan. I’m sorry I may be confused if these are leaves or places. I have a few good English blends on hand so I’m not sure if I should run out and buy the Latakia but the 20 seems like the first one to try. The one described as oriental is Turkish Virginias with, it says, a small amount of figs, licorice, grapes and honey.
FqlzVF4agAAQ132.jpg:large

¥3000 is about 30$ - not exactly in exchange but in what it seems like in terms of my wallet and life in Japan.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Are you from Japan? I live here and I’ve also been wondering about these. Some day I’ll buy some but I wanted to bump this because I am curious to if anyone else has tried one of these. There are three blends. In addition to the description the kind person above has been nice enough to offer, I can add some other words used to describe these: Izmir (I believe a place in Turkey), Yairadau, and Andumayan. I’m sorry I may be confused if these are leaves or places. I have a few good English blends on hand so I’m not sure if I should run out and buy the Latakia but the 20 seems like the first one to try. The one described as oriental is Turkish Virginias with, it says, a small amount of figs, licorice, grapes and honey.
FqlzVF4agAAQ132.jpg:large

¥3000 is about 30$ - not exactly in exchange but in what it seems like in terms of my wallet and life in Japan.
My younger son's in Japan at the moment. But unlike his older brother, I don't think he's in mood to go tobacco shopping for me.

Reactions: milk

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
My younger son's in Japan at the moment. But unlike his older brother, I don't think he's in mood to go tobacco shopping for me.
I should add that there isn’t that much here that I can see that is really special. Japan has a very limited selection of pipe tobacco.

Reactions: bullet08
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
I asked in a follow-up email, the owner told me that they are currently in negotiations with the European Union, however they are still looking for distributors in the United States as so far they do not have an export agreement. Do you have any suggestions I can give them for distributors? Perhaps even a specific contact? Your help would be appreciated as I would love to see a native Pipe Tobacco Turkish market grow and flower for the enjoyment of all pipe smokers around the world,
They look very much yummy, what about the European market ?
I'd much like to try some.

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I'll buy you all three if you'll ship one of each to me in the US!
Shipping is very expensive. I can ask my wife how much but I’m not sure it’s worth it for you. She will have to ask at Japan Post about sending tobacco. The last few times we sent pipes, it was like 30$ for sending two or three light pipes to the U.S. you can PM me and I can ask my wife about it via Japan Post. It’s a very good deal for me and I’d be very thankful and appreciative but my wife might say, “oh, it’s impossible - they won’t do it, etc.”

cersono

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
Vallis Lacrimarum
From what I understand, those blends (coded in Turkey as TPT and YD) are rebranded reiterations of the two discontinued mixtures famous in Turkey since the 1930s: Tūrk Pipo Tütünü (the Oriental flake, TPT) and Yayladağ (the Latakia flake, YD). Both those original blends got raving reviews on Tobaccoreviews.com (search for Tabac Turc brand). The recipes and tobacco strains used seem to be the same, except that the new YD has two versions with different percentage of Latakia: 20% and 40%, when in the original version it used to be 24%. Some say Yayladağ tobacco is the Turkish variety of the Syrian Latakia strain, Shek el Bint, used unsmoked in those blends. The Latakia here is made of the Aegean Izmir strain, so it differs from the Cyprian and Syrian.
Definitely, worth a try. I ordered a pouch of each from Turkey, will share my tasting notes here.

cersono

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
Vallis Lacrimarum
Forgot to add, that Yayladağ is actually a locality on the same Antiochian shore where the Syrian city of Latakia lays, and that for centuries that area had been a part of Ottoman Syria, not of Turkey proper. So the "unsmoked Syrian Latakia" rumour seems to exist not without a reason.
Very much interested to try. They say, those blends taste different from any tobaccos in Europe and America.

cersono

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
Vallis Lacrimarum
When searching for the blends, I've seen them being offered from some web outlets in Russia. To me, it's easier to procure them from Turkey, but if I hadn't contacts at where the mixtures are produced, I'd give the Russian option a thought. (Although, there can be troubles with processing credit card payments to there, so who knows if that's an option at all).

Reactions: milk