PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatbob

Lurker
Jun 30, 2016
Ok, definitely not a Lakeland fan, but picked up "No Name" blend from Peretti just out of curiosity and it has intrigued me. It definitely has the "florals" but just not as soapy to me. I like it as a change of pace. This may be a slippery slope but is any one familiar with other "beginner" Lakelands.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I kind of wondered about Just for Him's "Something Different," maybe deer tongue or some other distinct flavoring. I'm not fussy, so I doubt I'll have a pipe designating decision. A little carry-over is pleasing, if I detect it at all. Then there's that ineffable Royal Yacht plum flavor, but that's its own thing.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Peterson Hyde Park has a very faint Lakeland scent; and I'm given to understand that G.L. Pease Stonehenge does too -- although I've never tried it.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
No Name is my favorite blend in the Peretti line up. If you like that one PM your address and I’ll send you a sample of Original Mixture, it’s a similar blend by Peretti. I like No Name better but OM is pretty good too, I just have way too much of it and I’ll never be able to smoke it all in my lifetime.
Edit* sorry, I should specify that I’m only willing to send a sample within the States. I apologize for that, it’s just too damn expensive to ship out of the country.

fatbob

Lurker
Jun 30, 2016
Stonehenge...hmmm.... now I'm going to have to find that jar. I don't remember florals but again tastes and perceptions may change. Definitely going to try Hyde Park; thanks Cortez. It seems trying different blends regularly reinvigorates the discovery part of this endeavor.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Hyde Park is one of my favorite blends, but I like Stonehenge too. I do notice a faint bit of Lakeland essence in Hyde Park, but can't really detect it in Stonehenge. I figure everyones sensitivity to Lakeland flavors varies, so only you can determine if you like a blend or not. I've never tried Peretti's No Name, but will have to look into it now.

fatbob

Lurker
Jun 30, 2016
Another instance of "listen and learn". You nailed it Hawky. The Original Mixture you sent is exactly what I was looking for. When I first fired it up, I was instantly transported back to every head shop I ever walked into in the 70's. Florals yes, almost incense like, but not soapy or unpleasant. It quickly settled into that familiar Peretti burley with a very pleasant floral undertone. I'm going to get a paint cans' worth next trip to Boston. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm going to finish this before I try the Hyde Park.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
So glad to hear you like it! It's a unique, old school tobacco blend. I absolutely know what ya mean by it being incense like too. Their Burley tobaccos are a bit unique in that they have an almost natural sweetness to them.
I think you will like the Hyde Park too, although the florals are much more subtle and I honestly couldn't taste them for the longest time but I took a break from Lakeland blends and when I came back to HP I was able to, ever so slightly, taste the florals.
Have you tried Condor and St. Bruno yet? All the Lakeland's and the Peretti florals I've tried basically led me to those two giants.
HU Tobaccos are known for their more natural blends but Hans is also a master at making some amazing scented baccies as well. I would recommend trying out HU Sissinghurst & Daddy Gefftl for some truly unique floral but not soapy blends and even Great Dixter, although it's heavily floral it's kind of similar to GH&Co. Grasmere Flake. You can't buy his blends in the States but it's honestly not too expensive to import them. You can find them here; Sissinghurst, Daddy Gefftl, Great Dixter.
Another one worth mentioning is Bulldog Flake by Dan Tobacco.
Okay, I'll mention one more while I'm at it. A lot of people don't really mention this one when florals are the topic but I get a nice sweet and tangy floral topping from Mac Baren Mixture Scottish Blend.

fatbob

Lurker
Jun 30, 2016
And the list grows. I'm caught in a chicken and egg dilemma. I started smoking a pipe in '96 after years of using tobacco in various ways. I spent many years just smoking my pipe, I never really thought about it, just scratching an itch. Sometimes I'd pick up something at a B&M during my travels or somebody would gift me something but again, never really thought about it....scratching. A couple years ago I found this site, looking for info on a CAO meerschaum pipe. Lurked for a while then joined. I still smoke the pipe, scratch scratch scratch, but now I have more than 30 lbs of tobacco, know enough about tobacco to kill any conversation with non pipers and constantly search for that next tin. Did this site create my obsession or does the site mean I'm not the only one. My wife will be calling her family in Deutschland tomorrow re the HU stuff. Thanks?

Status
Not open for further replies.