PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I was there a couple weeks ago, and the one guy was rude to me, so I was rude back. It surprised him so much he backed off and went into the back room until I left. Another guy there told me the rude guy was always that way, and I think he got a kick out of me giving right back to Mr. Rude. I left in a pretty good mood after that, and bought a few of their blends in the process.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I'm an hour away from Peretti's and was planning to stop in a couple of weeks from now. I visit Boston every few months for concerts and Red Sox games. I think Peretti's is great and the staff friendly and helpful, but being a New Englander I must have pretty low standards. I'll tell you their own blends cannot be beat. Dundee, Smith's Own, Cuban Mixture and Park Square are some of my favorites. They must have over fifty of their own blends right there. And being from out-of-state I don't have to pay the 20% tobacco tax.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Guess I'm just too used to the way we do things here in Texas. If you don't want to sell to me, no worries, I can respect that. But you don't have to be a dick about it.

kanaka95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 2, 2014
I have been waiting for this stuff to be on the shelf for a while.I have never tried it but my tingling skin sensation tells me its wonderful.Dam till the next batch comes around i guess.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
You have to cultivate and hydrate the field before you can get a decent crop down the road.
Peck makes an excellent point. I'll try out more of their blends as I've heard good about them. Suggestions are welcome.
This is a different operation than Smoking Pipes, or Pipes and Cigars. A bit more old line. If they're taking care of their local base, more power to them.
As for rudeness, I don't think that it's a good policy, but coming from Brooklynites, I get it and really don't mind. It's actually amusing.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Being from NJ I actually find people from Boston overly polite. I am in the same boat as jiminks, I give as I get. If you are an over the top gentleman to me, I will go out of my to do to the same 10 fold. If you think you are intimidating I will open the 24oz can of NJ whoop ass on you, and sprinkle a little USMC attitude just to keep you in line.
With that being said, I totally respect Peck's point of view. Sometimes overpaying for something today and cultivating a relationship will pay huge dividends in the future. I am not a Esoterica whore, and don't get the "thrill of the chase" that I know a lot of people do. I am humbly grateful to decigar for hooking me up with an 8oz bag of Penzance for retail price. I enjoy watching you all hunt. It is my "normal" bit of voyeurism if I may :)

fishingandpipes

Aug 24, 2013
Peretti's is the best, sorry they didn't like you fishing for Esoterica. Try some of their house blends, especially if you like burley or English.
I doubt they're impressed with people being rude to them, so I'd advise not doing that. He was probably just not interested.

stbruno70

Jul 9, 2013
I first encountered LJ Peretti in the 1970's. They were ill-mannered then and they are ill-mannered now. The staff are quite egalitarian in their mistreatment of clients - locals or outsiders, it does not matter.
But many of their blends are excellent, and I particularly like their flakes. Above all, their Scottish Flake will put hair on your chest.
So I ignore their customer disservice and concentrate on the wonderful backies. A tradition of blending for over 140 years is worth looking into, and I have many of their "paint cans" in my cellar.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
They've done studies and basically snobby sales people get way more impulse buys than polite salespeople. I think they're in a position where they have enough business that either way they'll do okay, regardless of customer service.

w4ti

Lurker
Mar 28, 2014
I've not purchased a lot of tobacco from Peretti's (I did like the Omega blend they have), but what I have has been outstanding and really tasty. Having worked on the other side of the counter, I tend to give sales clerks the benefit of the doubt. They have to put up with a lot of jerks for not much pay, so I don't ever feel badly or treat them badly if they are short, brusque or whatever. That's certainly not an excuse for poor behavior, but as we have only one side of the story, I'm not rushing to a red light on judgement here. I'd hope others would do the same.

latbomber

May 10, 2013
I have absolutely no time for businesses with crap customer service, simply because there are plenty of other ones that will sell me the same things but with a good attitude. Capitalism baby!

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Peretti is one of the last great blenders left in the USA. If you don't go in there like a know it all, don't ask for VaPers which are called Virginia Perique blends, and show the folks there that you do realize they are indeed fine tobacconists you will be treated with respect in return.

Their blends IMO are the finest Hand Blended you can find. They are NOT just re-labeled bulks from the big suppliers like most smoke shops.

I have witnessed them in the blending room for years and consider the folks at L. J. Peretti true professionals.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
, don't ask for VaPers which are called Virginia Perique blends
Yeah I just use VaPer out of laziness not to type it out on forums. It would be me like saying lol instead of laughing out loud in a real life conversation.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
You are not a "true professional" in the retail business, IMHO, if you have shitty customer service because someone uses a shortened nickname for a type of tobacco blend. I am certainly not going to kiss anyone's ass because they have been in business for a long time. Treating them the way i want to be treated? Of course, because that is how i treat everyone. But i would not put them up on a pedistal. Just because they blend great tobacco, does not give them the right to be rude or snippy with customers. I am not talking about Peretti here specifically, just speaking in generalities. My experience with them (Peretti) the other day was fine. The guy was very short and sounded grumpy, but i have worked in retail for many years in the past and know how to deal with this sort of attitude. I just killed him with kindness and was very polite and everything went smoothly.....Again, TREAT OTHERS THE WAY YOU WANT TO BE TREATED.
I will do business with Peretti again for sure, but if they were downright rude or unecessarily condescending or being pricks about ordering a specific tobacco, i'd tell them to kick rocks with open-toed shoes and take a long walk off a short pier. There's too many other places to score good tobacco.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
I managed to get a bag of Stonehaven from them, but their shipping costs were about 10.00 higher then they should have been, and they acted huffy when I brought it up. I paid it anyway, given the rarity of the product, but that would make me hesitant to do repeat business. I wondered if it was due to sales tax or something but they said it was shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.