PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Better for the wallet. In my humble opinion, Pease blends would be my desert island smokes..... to me they are that good. Penzance is great stuff no doubt, but so hard to obtain. My B & M regularly has it, but he will only sell you one bag, and he rememebers you, so you can't come in the next week and try for another!!

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Is QN better than Penzance because it is readily available? Yes, in the same way that the girl from next door is better than the playboy centerfold. One is loyal, available, attainable, and delivers. The other might be great if you can her - but even if you did, it wouldn't be unusual to go back to the girl next door.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Is QN better than Penzance because it is readily available? Yes, in the same way that the girl from next door is better than the playboy centerfold. One is loyal, available, attainable, and delivers.

LOL :rofl:

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
No mention of SG Balkan Flake here, I think it's as good and for my taste a good substitute, it's got that creamy mouth feel and is available in bulk.

cally454

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
I think this all just a ploy to get Penzance and Stonehaven back to reality like FVF :)

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
@brass

may we some forum members suggest Pease to name his next magnificent blend as "Girl Next Door"?

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
For my time and money, the fact that I can buy a tin of Quiet Nights whenever I want, makes it the better blend. I've smoked both and enjoyed the experience equally, but one didn't out do the other. So what's my motivation to try to find and pay higher prices for Penzance? The answer is, I have none. For me, Quiet Nights is the better choice.
That said, I'd rather smoke Gaslight to either if them anyway. :)

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Shanelktown:
Before you grab a knee and show the ring, try Esoterica's "And So To Bed."
Not nearly as popular as Penzance but still easier to find and a quality smoke.
Fnord

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
I will have to grab a tin of this blend. How heavy is the burley in this? Is it more a lat forward blend?

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Penzance tastes like, well, Penzance. And surprisingly like the new Balkan Sobranie made by the same good folks at Esoterica. As fnord pointed out, ASTB is also very similar. Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding comes close, but lacks that slightly floral, herbal tinge. SG Balkan Flake has some of that, but it lacks the other flavors that come from the Orientals, since it only contains VA and Latakia.

I find Penzance to be a very delicate treat. Once I had smoked 3 bowls of it in 3 different well rested briars over a course of the day, and not too long ago I smoked 3 bowls pretty much back to back in the same Group 3 Shell Prince. Halfway through the third bowl on both occassions the "magic" was gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.