Pending Move To Colorado. What Am In For?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talking about humidity...

Ha, the first time I left to spend a week in Arizona, 0% humidity, from Alabama, which is 100% humidity, I thought that I was dying. No joke. The first night I had a cigar on the way from the airport. Then that night I woke up unable to breath. I rolled out of bed gasping, then I had blood all over my face. Still gasping for air, I thought that the cigar had given me cancer.

Until ten minutes later, Lora woke up gasping for air also. That made me feel better, Ha ha. Not that she was hurting also, but that it hadn't been the cigar, ha ha. We ended up setting in the tub with the hot water running in the shower till we could breath.

We immediately found a 24 hour pharmacy and bought a humidifier, and we occasionally would breath through a wet rag. One week, and we never fully acclimated. I'm not sure how long it would take someone to fully acclimate.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
My best bud lives outside Denver near/in Golden. If you won't know anyone I'd give you his number. Think he's around your age. Lives there with his wife and works for Spyderco Knives. He's a great guy and quickly becomes everyone's best friend. Anyways, a possible social outlet for you. And he's a pipe smoker as well as loves guns.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Cosmic, the other factor is that without the humidity, you have to drink water constantly. Here you just wave your arm around a bit and you're hydrated.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Was a OTR driver for 23 yrs. Was stuck there many times in the winter. 4+4, tire chains or snow tires. But there is lots to do an it is beautiful.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
The low humidity took some getting used to but I'd never go back to muggy and buggy! :)
Cigrmaster, I lived in Flagstaff @ 7200 ft for 18 years and saw this all the time. Guys come up from Phoenix and get the crap kicked out of them all over the ski and bike trails. It was a huge advantage during my race days. I'm much lower now @ 5200 ft but still have a house up there.
Madman ... you'll love it out here, it gets in your blood quickly. Now, if I'm away from my desert and mountains for more than a few weeks, I get homesick for it.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
If all you can think about is tobacco and ammo, maybe you shouldn't move there. I would think the huge areas of public land to explore would make it well worth leaving Kentucky, but that is just me.

perlasca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 11, 2015
Lived in Colorado (Longmont)for ten years, recently moved Eastern U.S.

Liquor stores are private, You can buy beer and whiskey in same place.

Gas stations and grocery store beer is 3.2, no liquor sold there.

Denver was cool, the mountains are cool, loved the South Western part of state.

Boulder I couldn't stand. Running joke is the Peoples Republic of Boulder.

lifeon2

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2012
denver co
The magazine law is largely ignored here as there is no way to prove when one was made. you don't have anything to worry about bringing them into the state. Richard Knott Aces Firearms 07 FFL firearms manufacturer Westminister CO there are stores locally that call completed mags parts kits and no one cares. Denver had a hi cap mag ban years before the 2013 fiasco and every gun store in Denver sold them. If you are that concerned send them here and pick them up when you arrive.

organizedmadman

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2011
Louisville, Ky
Acclaimatimg to the thinner atmosphere will be well well worth the bloody nose just to get away from the Ohio Valley crud that plagues my lungs four of five times a year.

She'll know this coming week if she got the promotion. I'll update you guys on the results when I know. Wish us luck!
@hiplainsdrifter geez buddy, ouch. Tobacco and ammo isn't in the forefront of my mind, but I have accumulated a staggering amount of both over the years through what accumulates to a pretty hefty investment on my part. I'm obviously looking forward to exploring some of the best hiking, camping, and fishing in America, but tobacco and ammo are the only unresolved questions I have concerning the possible move, and I'd hate to suddenly loose thousands of dollars worth of stuff I've collected over the years due to some silly laws. :crazy:

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
It wasn't too bad here in Denver, I had about 8" or so. My friend in the foothills just above Boulder had 2 feet and another friend higher up had 4 feet.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
At 8100 feet elevation in the foothills SW of Denver we received 40 inches of snow. I had to plow & snowblow my 2/5 mile long driveway 3 times & it took about 4 hours to shovel my decks.

This is not too unusual for an upslope snowstorm where I live. The last storm in March 2016 dumped 30 inches which almost completely melted before this storm.

I love it, as do my 2 big White Malamute-German Shepard dogs! I will be out snowshoeing with them all over the mountain later today. (I'd like to teach them Skijoring, but I think that they would just drag me through the snow).

Welcome to snow country.

Status
Not open for further replies.