PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

colcolt

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
I have but three cards. A Visa, a Shell gas card and an American Express solely for my meds I have to order on line from Medco, or whatever they're called today. These all get paid when the statement is receive so I don't care if the interest rate is 20-25%. PayPal has my credit card number and they know my address. I don't see what their problem is.
I know what my card's limits are and never exceed that. It's not that much as I didn't want a card with a $10K+ limit.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
I'm sure that will work but the thing is I won't be able to buy anymore on ebay until I'm verified according to them as I'm within $475 of my limit? Who set that? Not me. I don't know where that figure came from as there's nothing owed to anyone on ebay or anywhere else. My CC limit I did set at $5k and I don't have anything on it so again, I don't see their problem.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
It's screwy. They say the limit was $10K and I only have a$5K limit on my card so, I don'tknw where they came up with that. They won't let me raise my limit without the verification horse s**t and that includes giving the bank account.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
got the same thing from them 3 or 4 years ago.. I linked it to an old credit union account from 20 years ago that I have kept $20 dollars in.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
got the same thing from them 3 or 4 years ago.. I linked it to an old credit union account from 20 years ago that I have kept $20 dollars in.
That's excellent! :mrgreen: Maybe I should open an account with another bank and put $100 in it. PayPal said once I was verified they would deposit two small amounts in my account and to check it in a couple days and then then give it back to them. Is that stupid or what? their sending limit(what you send to someone for goods)is the maximum amount of money you can send from your PayPal account.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
That's pretty much what I've done - I have a separate checking account for my "mad money" that's linked to PayPal. It' s not even with the same bank as my primary accounts, so there's no connection whatsoever, and anyone trying to run fraud on that account won't get very far... :D

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
What phred said. I opened up a "mamma don't know" account for PayPal use at another bank and keep a low balance in it.

joshwolftree

Okay this may turn political(hopefully not) however I work credit card proccessing(not for paypal) tech support. I'm not sure why they would need to link it to your bank account? perhaps they are using a linked bank account as an intermediary for verification purposes. However any type of online money account must positively verify the identity of the user once it has reached a certain amount of funding. For a time I was supporting a prepaid card for the google wallet application, and once you reached something like four hundred bucks on it or something we required the SSN,Address,Phone...you know all the stuff you would put in for opening a bank account online. The official reason for this (or at least as far as peons like me were told to tell the customers) was some line about the patriot act requiring identification of holders of rechargeable prepaid cards whose funding had exceeded some amount or other, in order to prevent money laundering and channeling of money to terrorist organizations. or some such official sounding BS. Because you can hit me on paypal for 900 dollars, as long as your card is valid it's fine, what is seen as $900 dollars to me is not (real name: card number 4111......), its (user ID:0091274-0
Code:
<br />
<pre><code>)

13 so they can track you down, one method of verifying that they have real info on a real person is SSN, Address, blahblah. The other method is to verify that you have an account that already required all this info,like say a bank account.
All that being said contact them find out what their reasoning is and what if any benefit it really gives you, then politely tell them to ride of into the sunset on your middle finger or break down and give them the info.

timely

Jan 23, 2012
dochudson that is a great idea. I just ask the seller to send me an invoice from their own Paypal account where I fill in my info and can pay as an unverified person using the guest feature option. I have bought 10 items in the last couple of weeks this way.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
dochudson that is a great idea. I just ask the seller to send me an invoice from their own Paypal account where I fill in my info and can pay as an unverified person using the guest feature option. I have bought 10 items in the last couple of weeks this way.
It looks to me that you'd loose a lot of bids that way. If you're down to hours till an auction ends, you've written the seller about that and he doesn't respond immediately or at all, you're not going to be able to bid an you'll loose the auction.

timely

Jan 23, 2012
colcolt I ask the seller before I get into the auction and at other times they just send me the invoice with that option. I only had 1 person in 8 months that could not figure it out on their end, and he took a Money Order from me. I usually have to contact the seller in any event as they do not have the shipping price quoted for Canada.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
It looks to me that you'd loose a lot of bids that way. If you're down to hours till an auction ends, you've written the seller about that and he doesn't respond immediately or at all, you're not going to be able to bid an you'll loose the auction
don't know.. that's the only contact I ever had with PayPal and I have never had a problem bidding on anything. I started by adding $200 via that blue card and on several occasions added more but by selling a few razors and brushes I've manage to build up my slush fund at PayPal. BTW, I show up on PayPal as a verified user whatever that is.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
I talked with my credit union where I got the Visa card and they told me I could open another account of any sort, deposit $50 or whatever and they'd give me a different account number besides my checking/savings account number. Sounds like a plan to me. I'll give that to PayPal to pacify them.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I think all they want is what you give out when you write a check. People get all squishy over PayPal but they hand over their info every time they hand over a credit card or write a check without a second thought. I also think a lot of what PP asks for is federally mandated to prevent money laundering. Always be careful about phishing!!! 8O

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
That's true but when I write someone a check it's not going to be exposed to 15 million other people across the globe.

joshwolftree

Actually every time you write a check or use a debit card your bank information is transmitted over a network. If you go to the store and write a check a copy of that check is uploaded onto your banks system so that it can be viewed online or looked up by bank employees. This occurs regardless of wether or not you use your banks online reporting. Somewhere your credit card company has on file your bank account data since you would use the account to pay the card. These systems are held to the exact same standards of security as any other financial system (PCI compliance) which means that these systems are exactly as likely to be broken into as any other system. If you use a local credit union you may be less likely because of the lesser amount of profit involved in the lower number of accounts involved...but then in a world where every body has all their data online...

Not that I don't agree with your dummy account,just pointing out the relative futility of it

Status
Not open for further replies.