PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Thanks Andy,
I'm happy with the synthetic Ivory ring as well. To me it just fits that time period. I know that Eric Paulson would be happy to work with you on any ideas that you might have.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Hunter,
Wanted to tell you that there are two more Dunhill Opera Pipes on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-DUNHILL-SHELL-BRIAR-OPERA-Group-4-English-Estate-Pipe-bossa-nova-us-/271656928845?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f4003c64d
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dunhill-Opera-Estate-Pipe-Fantastic-Pre-Smoked-Condition-/351201318377?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51c53ad5e9
And a Don Roberto Opera pipe under "pocket pipe":
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DON-ROBERTO-VEST-POCKET-SMOKING-TOBACCO-PIPE-MADE-IN-ITALY-/390942550363?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b05fde95b

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
"I own three DA from Eric and they're great burners. Perfect for work and driving.
**side note** I heartily recommend Eric's work. He's very easy to work with and all ten of the pipes he's made for me smoke very well and look great."
RS,
That's good to hear! From my one experience in working with Eric I would agree. I plan to use him again!

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
"The story of the Hatfield and McCoy feud is both fascinating and profoundly sad. As mentioned in a previous thread, I can recommend a book on the subject titled "The Hatfields and The McCoys" by Otis K. Rice, published in 1978 by The University Press of Kentucky."
Amazon has it; even a Kindle version.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
If it were only looks and dollars, I'm thinking that a Paulson may be my first commissioned briar.
I don't think anyone has mentioned how well they smoke?

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
I asked a lot of questions about the 3/16" hypodermic tubing that he puts in the tenon on the Devil Anse. I thought the diameter might be too small but in such a short stem it doesn't seem to make any difference. It might, in a long stem Canadian or Lumberman; I don't know. My DA smokes great and I am very happy with it.
03JH6iV.jpg

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
In discussions with some in the industry, I was led to believe that the industry standard opening was 3mm, but many artisans are moving to 5mm.
The 3/16 tubing he uses is the equivalent of 0.1875 inches or 4.7625 mm. So, that is a fairly generous draw. Cobs use similar sized openings, so I'm not surprised that it has worked out for you.
BTW, I did contact Paulson, as well as another member here who makes pipes. I'm weighing the pros and cons of buying a facatory made Savinelli Punto Oro Sandblasted Silver Army Mount (310 KS) or commissioning a design.
Paulson was very responsive. He got back to me within a few hours of my inquiry.

Status
Not open for further replies.