PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

avail

Can't Leave
Oct 13, 2015
Michigan
Well, if you like aros you'll prboably like Arrowhead, this is a good one. Changing a bit now, but by far the blend I've smoked the most. A lot of different sweet flavors, combined with a modest portion of lat. I love the sweet/lat combination. Delicious tin note, and others nearby almost without fail say its smells good. It has been the top seller for Paul's for a long time.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Great looking pipe. Tell us a little about Arrowhead, por favor.
I will but haven't ever tried it! Am taking on faith some suggestions in this thread. The 58th has an even better "bag note", IMO. So I'll try both!
Arrowhead is my favorite aromatic and I would like to hear @HawkeyeLinus on it.

Arrowhead is a kitchen sink blend of tobaccos and flavors of vanilla, carmel, and molasses. It contains Burley, Virginia, green river black Cavendish, perique, and a smidgen of Latakia that is not noticeable.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Arrowhead is my favorite aromatic and I would like to hear @HawkeyeLinus on it.

Arrowhead is a kitchen sink blend of tobaccos and flavors of vanilla, carmel, and molasses. It contains Burley, Virginia, green river black Cavendish, perique, and a smidgen of Latakia that is not noticeable.
About halfway through my first bowl of Arrowhead. I expected sort of a holiday blend kind of vibe and that would be fine by me, but it’s “deeper” than that IMO and has an interesting and pleasant aftertaste. I could see this paired with a sweet iced tea or fresh brewed black coffee (or Irish Breakfast tea) equally well. It’s the first go as well for the T. Cristiano VSQ that came with it so taking it nice and easy in this new but old gem of a pipe. I’ll give it another run in a couple of days. Can’t say if it’s the Perique or the little bit of Latakia that’s coming through but it’s got a tiny bit of spicy sour smoky that is cool and not cloyingly sweet. Been awhile since I tried a new aro that has gotten my attention and getting so much out of (and I sample a lot of them). I know I’m ordering more and putting a good amount away after just a first try and that’s something I haven’t felt off the bat with an aro since a couple of Wilke blends that that grabbed me some time ago. Wouldn’t have tried it or gotten the pipe without this thread. I’ve been trying to narrow down some different aros to just a very few to keep and enjoy in rotation with the Va I like and this is 100% in! IMG_3512.jpeg

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
About halfway through my first bowl of Arrowhead. I expected sort of a holiday blend kind of vibe and that would be fine by me, but it’s “deeper” than that IMO and has an interesting and pleasant aftertaste. I could see this paired with a sweet iced tea or fresh brewed black coffee (or Irish Breakfast tea) equally well. It’s the first go as well for the T. Cristiano VSQ that came with it so taking it nice and easy in this new but old gem of a pipe. I’ll give it another run in a couple of days. Can’t say if it’s the Perique or the little bit of Latakia that’s coming through but it’s got a tiny bit of spicy sour smoky that is cool and not cloyingly sweet. Been awhile since I tried a new aro that has gotten my attention and getting so much out of (and I sample a lot of them). I know I’m ordering more and putting a good amount away after just a first try and that’s something I haven’t felt off the bat with an aro since a couple of Wilke blends that that grabbed me some time ago. Wouldn’t have tried it or gotten the pipe without this thread. I’ve been trying to narrow down some different aros to just a very few to keep and enjoy in rotation with the Va I like and this is 100% in! View attachment 268919
Very nice review and I'm glad you enjoy the blend.

I should probably stop in or place an order soon to stock up in case the end is near.

Mike N

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 3, 2023
Great review; I’m in.

With regard to the 3 Cristiano pipes I got for an average of $85 each, the jewels match the bowls- orange jewels on the orange bowl; red jewels for the red stain which is absolutely beautiful and black jewels on the darker swirl. I mean, who does that?

Also, the bit is cut very thin, like a lot of pipe smokers here love. Any pipe buyer needs to check out that website while the sale is on.

Click on image to enlarge

Attachments

• IMG_1471.jpeg
    IMG_1471.jpeg
    199.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1470.jpeg
    IMG_1470.jpeg
    191.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1469.jpeg
    IMG_1469.jpeg
    200.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Great looking pipe. Tell us a little about Arrowhead, por favor.
To quote the official description: "A blend of burley, Virginia, Green River black cavendish, Virginia flake, perique and a small amount of latakia that is expertly blended for the utmost taste, then topped with a secret vanilla flavoring recipe to achieve outstanding flavor. Mild but satisfying."
As someone who smokes Arrowhead fairly regularly, I can testify that the perique and latakia are truly condiments - just whispers. It could definitely be an all-day blend for the right smoker.

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com
As someone who smokes Arrowhead fairly regularly, I can testify that the perique and latakia are truly condiments - just whispers. It could definitely be an all-day blend for the right smoker.
LOL, that's probably why I like it. Honestly, it's a great smoke. I'm kind of amazed it's as good as it is as few of these kitchen sink blends seem to hit their mark but this one did.

Mike N

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 3, 2023
I saw on another site that a trust is buying and rehabbing the buildings near Paul’s Pipe Shop and Hospital (love that second part of its name). Great news!

I’ve purchased probably 7-8 pipes now from Paul’s after seeing the store on Virtual Pipe Club and then after reading about their financial stress. I love new, old stock pipes, especially billiards. The service is great and orders are promptly shipped.

But I notice the website photos have not been updated and new pipes from that massive inventory have NOT been added. I’m willing to buy more, but the store needs to get a college intern or two to refresh and update its online inventory. Us old dogs need to learn new tricks to survive in this digital age.

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com
I saw on another site that a trust is buying and rehabbing the buildings near Paul’s Pipe Shop and Hospital (love that second part of its name). Great news!

I’ve purchased probably 7-8 pipes now from Paul’s after seeing the store on Virtual Pipe Club and then after reading about their financial stress. I love new, old stock pipes, especially billiards. The service is great and orders are promptly shipped.

But I notice the website photos have not been updated and new pipes from that massive inventory have NOT been added. I’m willing to buy more, but the store needs to get a college intern or two to refresh and update its online inventory. Us old dogs need to learn new tricks to survive in this digital age.
I know they had been busy packing up the contents of the museum upstairs due to the ongoing building issues. Things were pretty grim prior to the Mott Foundation commitment but, hopefully now that work is in progress, Dan will have more time to focus on business again rather than crisis.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Article on the renovation, for those interested. Paul's is going to try to stay and make it to the 100th anniversary.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Article on the renovation, for those interested. Paul's is going to try to stay and make it to the 100th anniversary.

4 more years until it’s 100th anniversary. That will be amazing.