PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

MavErik

Lurker
Jan 4, 2024
Ok, long story short, I fell into the custody of what I believe to be a Patent Era 304 System pipe that is probably the worse condition I have ever seen for a bowl. Clearly this is not an "easy fix". Problem is, these vintages don't show up every day. I have no aspirations to restore it and sell it. I would love to overcome the challenge (if possible) and keep it. The stem is rough, but salvageable.

Would greatly appreciate any insight you might have on the best path forward. FYI, the cream colored material around the cracks is some kind of "pipe mud" from the previous owner. I removed the majority of it. I haven't done anymore to it awaiting your comments.

Attachments

• Pete 1.jpeg
    Pete 1.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 50
  • Pete 2.jpeg
    Pete 2.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Pete 3.jpeg
    Pete 3.jpeg
    111.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Pete 5.jpeg
    Pete 5.jpeg
    115.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Pete 6.jpeg
    Pete 6.jpeg
    114.1 KB · Views: 49

MavErik

Lurker
Jan 4, 2024
I've seen reborn pipes I believe do the tiny tiny pins before....if you are good with micro drill bits!
I took a look at his projects using micro drills after you mentioned it. Not sure if that would work for these size cracks. I am wondering if there is a good way to soften the briar enough to "squeeze" the crack to get a pin to hold or ?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I took a look at his projects using micro drills after you mentioned it. Not sure if that would work for these size cracks. I am wondering if there is a good way to soften the briar enough to "squeeze" the crack to get a pin to hold or ?
You're right, those are fairly deep cracks.

• Haha
Reactions: bluegrassbrian

MavErik

Lurker
Jan 4, 2024
I know little about pipe repair but I think that briar has had it. The person responsible obviously wasn’t looking at it as a collectors item. Looks like it’s smoking days are most likely over. 🙏☕
i believe you and others might be right. I am contemplating giving it a good cleaning and a bit of a polish (careful not to remove the stamps) and call it a day. Might make for a good conversation piece in my office.

MavErik

Lurker
Jan 4, 2024
That pipe has served several masters well. I say polish and retire it.
Well said sir. I have always had a pull towards pipes since I was in my teens. Only now as I approach 50, am I realizing how much personal history is locked in each estate briar. I have never bought a new pipe. I somehow never find one with as much character as the estates have.

Thank you everyone for the quick replies and quality insight.

This Patent Era Pete will be retired with honors. Final pics forthcoming in the weeks ahead.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
If you really wanted a challenge, you could probably bore it for a meerschaum (or just briar) liner and then do a leather wrap to help seal it up.

Sometimes it's freeing to work on stuff that's beyond saving, the pressure is off, and you can experiment and work on technique. Like med students working on cadavers or something. puffy