PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have never thought about it critically, but I do have five or six pipes from various brands and artisans that have partial rustication, where the bowls are finished smooth but have areas that are rusticated. Presumably most or all of these cover areas that would otherwise show flaws and fills, but instead have accents that I find quite pleasing. Then again, I don't mind fills if they are done tastefully and on pipes that are priced lower accordingly. Do you reject partial rustication out of hand, tolerate it, or find it pleasing if done well? I will say that most of my partially rusticated pipes have other distinct virtues in terms of fit and finish, light weight, size bowl, etc.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I think it ranges from supremely ugly to quite nice looking. For example, I really like many of Boswell's partial rustications and mixes of black coal/smooth finish. However many of Nording's partial rustications make me want to run towards the nearest living thing and kill it.

It all depends.

One thing I can say is that the ones where it is clearly covering a flaw of some kind, that look like the pipe fell out of a car at top speed and hit the ground in one spot, I detest.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I'm in agreement with Alaska on this.

If it's an intended part of the design they tend to look nice but random areas tend to look splotchy and ugly.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A panel pipe of mine carved of Mountain Laurel by Jerry Perry has only a textured area on the back panel of the bowl, a sort of thumb grip, very modestly and cleverly done. One or two of my Johs pipes have patches on the bowl that are nicely textured that look better than just smooth to me. When it is done well, I find partial rustication can be a true improvement over all. I like rustication that gives some texture to a pipe, a tactile dimension, if it is done in an artful way. My take is that the tasteful examples outnumber the artless ones, or maybe I'm just screening out the bad jobs. I'm glad I haven't stumbled on the less pretty Nording examples; mostly I like his pipes, but none of my Nordings are partially rusticated.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I think this is a technique that is rarely pulled off in a way that enhances the look of the pipe.

I've seen a blowfish that had a coin shaped/size rustication on the side of the blowfish that looked interesting. It seemed to work, because the shaping of the briar had smooth curves leading into the rustication and the rest of the pipe was beautiful birds eye. It looked like it fit.

In most cases, it just looks like a blatant way to hide some flaw (probably was the case in the blowfish as well), but it doesn't fit the shaping of the pipe. I'm thinking of an apple shape or billiard with random rustication as examples where it seems hard to make a partial rustication look organic.

Those shapes just don't fit the technique, to my eye. Where do you place it on a pipe like that? The shank? The underside of the bowl? It just looks goofy to me.

I can't remember too many others where it looks good to me -other than the blowfish- because it never really stands out to me as an interesting design. Most (to me) are just candidates for the ugly pipe threads.

Reactions: Casual

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
Mso- I can see it on a panel, sure. I think the shaping of a panel might work out well with this technique, when done great. The skill of the rustication is also important. I favour a finely done rustication, rather than big arcing gouges. Almost needle point.

But, I only have one rusticated pipe. It's a "moon" pipe by Francois Dal. It has a tactile feel that is really nice and it looks quite interesting. Like a finely porous moon rock (think sand particle size).

No idea how he did it. To me, I love a smooth pipe with excellent grain, which is a bias of mine. They tend to cost more, but I like it. Texture in wood is fascinating to me and I like to see that highlighted, rather than the skill of rustication.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
It is a matter of taste. This is one of my first pipes, bought in a lot and so not really chosen per se, it is a favorite and very tactile.

Reactions: seldom

mityahicks

Nov 18, 2018
I am usually fond of the contrast, particularly by the more skilled artisans whose pipes I've yet to commit to buying but hope to someday own. My focus has been much more cellar driven lately (thanks war on tobacco).

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I have this pipe from Doug Finlay:

48759775746_548947a937_h.jpg

I also have a rusticated Savinelli that has a smooth rim and I caught myself looking at another pipe in this configuration. It seems to work well for me.

On the other hand, and even though I own a couple, I'm not a fan of the opposite or as it is usually called "plateau".

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There are some truly homely rustication jobs, and some that teeter on the edge but end up appealing to me. Years ago, I saw a La Rocca poker covered with carved "loops," and I smiled dismissively, looked it over, then put it back on the pipe shop wall. For some reason, it kept calling to me. Way too folksy, I thought. Eventually weeks later, I headed back thinking if it was still there, I'd buy it. It was and I did. It's like one of those cars from the fifties that was a design mistake in its time, but today on the classic car auction block, it begs for higher bids. Striking, by mistake. If you take an idiosyncratic liking to some of these pipes, they can be worth it, even as a car pipe or travel pipe. Some are fine smokers, visual appeal aside.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
When the rim is left smooth I am always a fan. Peterson did that with the Arklow, those being sandblast not rustication, and it is the touch that sold me on 4 of them and I should have bought more :)

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
When the rim is left smooth I am always a fan. Peterson did that with the Arklow, those being sandblast not rustication, and it is the touch that sold me on 4 of them and I should have bought more
I agree that it is a good look. I've a Stanwell Relief with this look and I really like it.

I like some of the Jarl pipes and other pipes from Denmark that have a partial blast à la Bengel's photo above (maybe from the 1950s?). I write partial blast but I've seen some that might be partial rustication too.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
I agree that it is a good look. I've a Stanwell Relief with this look and I really like it.

I like some of the Jarl pipes and other pipes from Denmark that have a partial blast à la Bengel's photo above (maybe from the 1950s?). I write partial blast but I've seen some that might be partial rustication too.
It is a rustication, done in a style I think the Danes perfected :)

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
I'm a Peterson fan, but this Jekyll & Hyde is a perfectly hideous example of a bad partial rustication in the extreme!

On the other hand, I have a Newgrange Spigot with a smooth rim that I think looks fantastic:

(Both are stock images from the web)

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
While a few do pass the eye test, imho, most of them simply look like somebody forgot something.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
those being sandblast not rustication

I don't really differentiate between the two in terms of aesthetics. There's plenty of examples for pretty and ugly for both. I kinda always default to simply textured vs. smooth.

I think the OP question works the same for both finishes but you do point out a nice detail that might make a difference to some.

Reactions: Bengel

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I think it ranges from supremely ugly to quite nice looking.

I think it ranges from supremely ugly to... pretty damn ugly puffy

Kind of kidding, but true in most cases. I do really like that smooth-rimmed pipe shanez posted though.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Kind of kidding, but true in most cases.
Agreed. It is definitely the odd one out that I find aesthetically pleasing. And that is reflected in my collection. I own 50 or 60 pipes now and exactly 1 of them is partially rusticated, and that barely even counts, as it is simply a Castello 55 Sea Rock Briar that has a smooth rim, which in and of itself I think shouldn't be called "partially rusticated" as the term tends to be mostly utilized for pipes that have splotchy patches or significant portions of each.

Reactions: lawdawg
Status
Not open for further replies.