Parker: Still Making Great Pipes In 2016.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2015
Yeah, I guess just because they name the pipe a "bent Dublin" on smokingpipes estate site doesn't necessarily make it so. Anyone have a good Parker shape chart to link to?
And I will say - of all the Parker 391's I'm finding NONE of them have grain anywhere near that nice. That's a winner.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Don't get me wrong, see my post above. I clearly see much Dublin influence there. I just (opinion only) think it blurs the lines between the two, and tips more to the Zulu side. I think it will even more so if Jay bends the stem a bit more.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
I don't have a ink to Parker pipe shapes I'm afraid pipesmokingthom, but I recall my Zulu was a shape no. 42?

Definately not a bent Dublin though, I think it's a horn which is the same shape as a Zulu, but with a more pronounced bowl.

May 4, 2015
Yes - I'm just arguing to argue. It's late in the day :wink:
My brain just wants a Zulu to be more bent forward. Who knows what Parker called it, if anything, beyond the number.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
This one could go either way, depending on which shape chart you look at (I couldn't find one specifically for Parkers). Refresh my memory, is Parker a sub brand of Dunhill?

May 4, 2015
Until the mid-60s when they became essentially their own brand, from what I understand. Their shapes don't necessarily overlap, though.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Dunhill shape 4135 is a dead ringer for that Parker, and they term it a horn. Simon may bring in the win for Jolly Old England!

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
C'mon fellas. That's a bent Dublin every day of the week!
I would have to say that if a dublin,was smoking the bowl of a zulu...The offspring would be this!
I have three parker pipes, and they are all as good as or better than most pipes...Congrats!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
@Tom- Damn my Amish computer skills! Google Image search "Alfred Dunhill pipe shape chart". Click on the thumbnail in the upper left corner. The Horn is middle row, bottom of the chart.

May 4, 2015
Indeed, it does seem like more of a horn - a Dunhill horn at any rate. The acute angle between the bowl and stem would lend it to be so on their shape chart, vs. a Zulu, where I always think of that angle as obtuse if there is an angle at all. But even then, Horns I think of as more swoopy and more of a freehand sort of design.
Still I'm finding definitions of Zulu which indicate a Zulu is nothing more than a bent Dublin. It's enough to drive one nuts.
I want a Parker shape chart with labels!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Me too!
I think of Dublins as having a conical bow and a cylindrical shank. I think of Zulus as having a conical bowl raked well forward and an oval shank and bent stem. I think of horns as looking all swoopy and as though the tobacco would fall out if you actually tried to smoke one. But, then again, I'm all bound up with hobbyist rules.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I'm just sayin', the one time I could be legitimately accused of being too rule-bound is with pipe shapes. :)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hey, it's none of the above!! It's a Yachtsman, or Yacht!*
In any event it's gorgeous, and just about what I paid for a Parker in London last December- from a basket at Davidoff's. Well done, Jay!
* Those are synonymous with Zulu. Though it has definite Dublin leanings, too.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Having just casually looked up Dunhill shape #4135 I see it variously described as a Zulu, Yachtsman and Horn.
I always believed a Horn to be more canted forwards as per a cutty but that's just me. Either way, irrespective of what it is called I really rather like it and it smokes very well, granted only had four bowls in it as yet.
Anyone found a Parker shape chart? I've hunted but had no luck.
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Here we go...
HORN:

A fine Horn is one of the most elegant pipe shapes of all. With no “junction” between the bowl and shank, the lines flow gracefully back and forth along the length of the pipe, only interrupted by the meeting of bowl and stem. The defining characteristic of the Horn is its continuous and uninterrupted taper from front to back, and so one may find that Horns are created with square, round, triangular, or freely shaped bowls, having considerable variation in the finer details of appearance. The Danish master carvers are renowned for their production of stunning Horn pipes, but today the Horn has been adopted by carvers from all over the world.
horn-smoking-pipe-shape.png

ZULU:

The Zulu is somewhat of a rare breed among pipe shapes, seemingly inhabiting the limbo between Dublin and Billiard. When well-crafted, however, this shape has an unmistakable character all its own. The bowl of a Zulu is daintier than a Dublin or Billiard but may display some similarities to either or both in terms of shaping. Its greatest distinguishing feature is the more dramatic forward cant of its bowl, along with its straight shank and slightly bent stem. The shank of a Zulu is usually round and stems are almost exclusively tapered. Zulu pipes have also been referred to using their other aliases: the Woodstock and the Yachtsman. Like the Prince, its slight bend and overall proportions make the Zulu among the choicest of pipes to hold freely in the mouth. It wouldn’t be a stretch to imagine an old wind weathered sailor hoisting the lines with his Zulu clenched between his teeth.
zulu-smoking-pipe-shape.png

Going by the above I would say I most definitely have a Zulu :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.