PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
"That Jeantet is a fine looking panel, and it must have some history behind it with the real horn stem."
Yes, I was thinking about what Dunhill had to do during WWII. It's hard to find anything beyond the basic information regarding Jeantet. Pipe is also marked, 8-AH.27. I have no idea what it means.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I have never been drawn to panel pipes but in have to admit lately I find myself looking at then more and more. At some point I will likely pull the trigger on one.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
Different smokes for different folks. I don't own any panels but would not return a gifted one if wifey bought one for me. :D

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
After I posted this, I went looking at panels, just to see what's out there. I think Dunhill has more panels

as a percent of their offerings than any other pipe maker. Others seem to offer them as an unusual shape.

But with Dunhill, it is one of their old standards. I don't shop for Dunhills even as estate pipes or on ebay,

but if I encountered one at a surprisingly low price at a yard sale or antique store, I'd feel like I'd won a lottery.

It's a big Dunhill "thing." foggymountain has nine of them! That's some nice smoking.

natibo

Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
I recently got a nice paneled billiard saddle bit Bruyere Dunhill on Ebay (maybe it was the one Buster was bidding on). My girlfriend loves it and I get extra attention when I smoke it. Uh, so yeah, I like em.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
I would like to get a four panel billiard. Some think they look clunky, but then so do I.

antbauers

Jul 12, 2013
My Ardor bent dublin, paneled. Great smoker! Feels great in hand and clenches well also!
ZXNYCm2.jpg

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
I like the hand feel of a panel. I recently picked up an estate Comoy 363 second, their Ace of Spades 363, off eBay. Cleaned her out and smoked her a couple weekends ago. Great smoker and to be honest, it looks really good.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I'm not a fan. Never had one, and I don't have any intention of ever owning one.
OTOH, I love square-shanked pipes, which seem like they must be related somehow to panel pipes. Maybe second cousins. But I've loved the square-shank look ever since I read Carl Weber's Pleasures of Pipe Smoking which has a beautiful photo of one on the cover.
Bob

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I have a fondness for them, and yet I only own one, a Savinelli, that happens to be a terrific smoker. Apparently Bing was a fan in his early days...
BingPipe1.jpg

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Panels intrigue me, but I've never owned one. I came close to pulling the trigger on a Savinelli "Octavia" paneled Dublin once, but for some reason I talked myself out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.