PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I rarely have any advanced reports on popular culture. I more often only learn about celebrities I never heard of before from their obituaries.

However, here's a heads-up on a new film starring Owen Wilson titled "Paint," about a Vermont television painter (teaching people how to paint artistically on television). For members here, a point of interest is that the main character is a pipe smoker.

I haven't seen the film, only a short trailer, so I can't comment on it as a cinematic work, but I did hear an interview with Owen Wilson who caught my attention by saying that, since the main character smoked a pipe, he took the time to go to a pipe shop and get some pointers on how to make that look as natural as possible. I guess if I see the film, I'll see how he did.

It could be that since pipe smoking is a habit, a routine, and a ritual, it may be difficult to impersonate all that with a short lesson or two.

I have liked some of Wilson's roles. I thought he did a good job in "Paris Nights," about a time traveling tourist who visited various American expatriates in the 1920's -- Hemingway, Gertrude Stein, and so forth.

I somewhat empathize with his outsider presence as an actor, a slight sense of arrested development, not as much as Adam Sandler, but emphasized by his halting Texas drawl. He's had his problems in life, to say the least, but that often accompanies the curse of fame. I can be jealous and grateful at the same time, though acting was never my thing.

Andre_T

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 17, 2018
Long Island, New York
Bob Ross was a pipe smoker. On a recent documentary about Bob Ross, they showed him several times smoking a Savinelli Ginger. His so is also a pipe smoker. I am guessing that this movie is about Bob Ross?
I believe it is very loosely inspired by him not him per se. It should not be thought of as biographical. I have not seen it but am looking forward to it.

If you guys haven't seen this, and you like Bob Ross watch it. It shows how Bob and his family were screwed over by the company he was advocating for buying art supplies. Every time someone buys Bob Ross T-shirts, posters, DVDs, or watches his show on tv, they are giving money to these evil fucks.
If they are about to spoof the man, at least watch this one. It will show what a great guy Bob was, and how he affected millions of people. And, how he was screwed over.
1681411191930.png

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
If you guys haven't seen this, and you like Bob Ross watch it. It shows how Bob and his family were screwed over by the company he was advocating for buying art supplies. Every time someone buys Bob Ross T-shirts, posters, DVDs, or watches his show on tv, they are giving money to these evil fucks.
If they are about to spoof the man, at least watch this one. It will show what a great guy Bob was, and how he affected millions of people. And, how he was screwed over.
View attachment 215906
I saw that, pretty crazy. I hate to speak ill of the dead, but Bob was a little naive and should have seen it coming.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the Wilson movie is loosely modeled on Ross, but they almost skirted the point in the Wilson interview, probably to avoid litigation. If I saw the film, I would take it at face value and not presume it was about anyone -- a victimized artist nor a fame freak.

I think Ross was kind of a niche artist, sort of an art therapy TV personality, to whom celebrity was no balm and no friend. I think people who watched his show (I've only seen short clips once or twice) he had a soothing effect even if they didn't paint.

To the degree I saw his show, I saw it as teaching people to do a kind of retrospective realism. Whereas in contemporary art, realism is taken to an extreme of photo realism, or expanded in some other way to make a statement. Though sometimes more literal work is celebrated as a sort of outsider art, like Grandma Moses and a legion of other more recent celebrated outsider artists.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
It's not a comedy it seems to basically be about him getting screwed over by the Kowalski's his business partners.

Bob, his wife Jane Ross, and the Kowalskis were shareholders in the company Bob Ross Inc. After the death of Jane due to cancer in 1992, the law stated that in the event of the death of a shareholder, their shares would be divided equally between all existing members. This made Bob a minority shareholder in a company that controlled his own image.

Bob died three years later from Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and his son Steve says he spent the final years of his life trying to prevent his name and likeness being turned over to the Kowalski family. After Bob and Jane Ross' deaths, Annette and Walt Kowalski had sole ownership of Bob Ross Inc.

They also sued his son and half-brother, that Bob left his name and likeness to, for basically all of Bob's stuff including his name and likeness saying that it belonged to the "company" and they won the lawsuit and got everything.

Sounds a bit like Sylvester Stallone and his partner from the early days of Rocky.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I grew up watching Bob Ross, I didn’t know he smoked a pipe though. I look forward to watching that documentary. I like Owen Wilson so I’ll eventually watch Paint too, once it comes out on a streaming service that I already pay for.

Reactions: Zero