PAD causes fiance to start smoking pipes... help.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

2 Fresh Ken Dederichs Pipes
23 Fresh Ropp Pipes
3 Fresh Becker Pipes
12 Fresh Jacono Pipes
24 Fresh Estate Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 19, 2010
Well it seems I have gone and done it now. I went to one of the local pipe shops today checking if my senior reamer set had come in. It had not come in as of yet as far as the new and very timid shop employee knew. So as he was helping other customers I began to browse the store with my fiance in tow to insure I did not attempt to buy out the whole store. While glancing at one of the pipe display cases my eye was caught by a very small and dare I say it... cute meerschaum pipe. It was very small and looked to be about the perfect size for smoking on a work break.
I some how managed to distract myself by pestering the poor new guy working at the store. Asking him if seeing as they carried the Vauen pipes if they also carried the adapters and asking if they carried 1Q as I had yet to try it and was finding I actually could like aromatics. He could not find the price on the adapter and set up for the owner to give me a call when he came in on Monday. I am not entirely sure that they are to be sold separate from the pipes as the one he found was in a box with a pipe sock but no pipe in sight. He also was not certain if any of the blends they had in the store where actually 1Q and could not look it up as the stores computer was on the fritz.
At this point the fiance' realizes I am entering dangerous wallet devouring waters and drags me kicking and screaming to the chocolate apothecary just across the way. (yes that is the stores name and dear god the chocolate is amazing there both in taste and price) As we are waiting in line I can not get that little meer out of my head and sneak away to go and ask the price of it. I promptly return and begin to beg the fiance' to allow me to buy it without he killing me in my sleep for doing so.
She is surprisingly easily swayed on the grounds it is cute... and something that at the time did not sink in. She had said "It is something I could see myself smoking". Once we leave the premises she informs me that she wants to try out the pipe with the 1M Altadis that I has been smoking recently which she thinks smells wonderful. I of course cave to her request and am happily surprised when she greatly enjoys the little pipe and seems to begin falling for pipe smoking in general.
So I now have a new pipe that seems destined to be stolen by my dear lady and a bit of a quandary. How to help her through the usual stumbling blocks of learning to enjoy pipes. While still keeping her tongue and my pipes intact.
Here are some pictures of the little meer that started this all.

newmeer1.jpg

newmeer2.jpg

newmeer3.jpg

newmeer4.jpg

newmeer5.jpg

newmeer6.jpg

A question on the pipe for those of you more experienced with meerschaum pipes them myself. This is the first meer I have owned that has an acrylic mortise that screws into the shank along with an acrylic stem that plugs into it. I am curious if this will work like a military mount where I can take it apart after a smoke to clean it without damaging the fit of the stem.
Any advice on this and how to walk the fiance' through finding her own way to enjoy pipes would be greatly appreciated. I have had her join our little part of the internet as reddazes and I believe she has already created a post asking where to start on the forums.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Have her join us here.... We'll be glad to help out all we can.

I'm sure somebody here will be able to answer any questions she might have.
Never mind....

It seems I'm behind the curve Penguin.

May 19, 2010
It was $74.95 at Tobacco World which is located inside the flour mill ( http://flourmillspokane.com/ ) there are a few pictures on the website under retailers. They are apparently Spokane's oldest Tobacco Shop specializing in premium cigars, pipes and pipe tobacco. A bit more then I have payed for some of my meers but I just couldn't stop myself. It is made by Servi Meerschaum ( www.servimeerschaum.com ) I am poking about their site now as I have never heard of them before.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I agree with igloo. Since she seems taken with getting into pipe smoking and the meer, go for it. Both you and the forum have knowledge that can be accessed quite easily. Besides it will be another thing you 2 will have in common and can enjoy together.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I have to agree. Let her take that one and get yourself another. She will be happy, you get another pipe and you two can enjoy them together.

May 19, 2010
I have a feeling that even if I did not give her the pipe it would slowly but surely become hers anyways and there would be little I could do about it. Once she has her heart set on something it will become hers regardless of anything I can do. The fact we have four ferrets and a cat attest to this.
It doesn't hurt any that she has me wrapped about her little finger and looks far to cute smoking it. I see my adorable little pipe soon leaving my side. ;.;

spacecowboy57

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2010
i forsee trouble heres what may happen:

1. she get's sucked into the pipe hobby, but not as much as you are, thereby she notices that you spend way more than she does and deems your spending frivolous and condemns you for it.

2. she tries the hobby for a while, then falls out of the craze. this can be bad as she suddenly sees you as someone who is addicted to a money devouring hobby that she cannot understand.

3. she enjoys it too much, and gets used to you buying the necessary accoutrements for her, thus forcing you to spend twice as much on the hobby as you do now.
of course you could get lucky and just end up with another smoking buddy who further approves of your spending
best of luck

reddazes

Might Stick Around
Sep 26, 2010
...Spacecowboy... I know you told me not to read it...but I am one of those insufferable people who have to know EVERYTHING...so I did. You make excellent points. ^_^ And I love you for it. And who knows... perhaps one day I will tire of pipe smoking, after all it's completely new to me. But I have to say, I haven't yet found something that makes me relax quite this much in a long time.
We'll have to wait and see, but I think I may have to stick with this till I die..........and learn to budget what I am sure is going to be a new outrageous expense in our life.... -.-* ....since you know... I am female and can't do anything half way....((curse my money wasting genes!)) XP
((by the by... I was trying to make the little face using 'greater-than' 'period' 'less-than' it makes a cute little squintie face...but the code keeps eating it. Thought you should know lol))

May 19, 2010
spacecowboy its nice to hear some of my own worries come from a third party. means I have not gone completely insane yet. The way I see it at the moment is if she does fall out of love with pipe smoking at least I get all the goodies I helped her pick out. If she doesn't come to love the pass time as much as me and becomes upset by the monetary black whole that my hobby has become. Then I may have to bring up some of her pricey hobbies and wind up sleeping on the couch for a while >.>
Here's to hoping for option #3 or it all working out... after all who needs a budget or money.
*reads reds previous post again* ... I am so doomed.

peace

Lurker
Sep 3, 2010
My wife also smokes the pipe, and, from my point of view, you have nothing to worry about. Of course, my wife has her own personality and I don't know your fiance. But of course in the beginning you'll have to spend a bit more on pipes and tobacco while you set up your collection, but it'll pay up in the long run. My birthday was last week, and get what I got as a gift: Two brand new pipes. And she bought herself two new pipes as well. We each have our own pipes but I can smoke one of her's whenever I want, and she can smoke one of mine whenever she wants. We also have 3 corncobs that we share. Of course if I bought 10 pipes in a day she'd be a bit miffed, but right now I buy 2-3 a month, one of which is for her, and all is well. And in the end, there ain't nothing better than sitting outside at night, enjoying a bowl with my wife. I am a lucky man, and Penguin, if your fiancee really does get into the habit, consider yourself a lucky man as well!!!

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I had a great aunt who smoked a pipe for most of her 9or 98 (can't remember for sure ) years. She got me started on Plowboy. WHOA!! Potent old time blend.

spacecowboy57

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2010
lol that's good to hear, maybe exploding penguin will luck out after all. my gf falls somewhere under no.2 above. she doesn't find it as enjoyable as i do and complains about my purchases. i usually have to buy her dinner or flowers before i tell her about how much i spent on tobacciana that day, otherwise she will complain about how i waste money on my stupid hobbies while neglecting her material needs.

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
It was just the day before yesterday that I was talking with my wife (after she'd packed me a pipe with Eileen's Dream) that there had only been three or so females on the board in my experience, so it's nice to see that number increase by one immediately after!
Penguin, it's happened and now the only thing you can do is be supportive. That'll teach you to try blends with a good room note! ;-) I've encouraged my wife to do the same, but beyond the odd sip on a new blend, she steers clear. I'm a bit disappointed at that, but it's her decision.
Simon

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
I would actually be quite pleased if my wife wanted to join in! I consider you to be a lucky man!
Of course, after many years of cigarette smoking (me) and very little nagging about it (her), I would be surprised if she ever became overly concerned with my pipe smoking.

May 19, 2010
Thanks all for the advice it is greatly appreciated. So far things are going well and she seems to be picking it up rather easily. The little meer has most defiantly become hers though she has no qualms in letting me use it. I am hoping that things will go as well for me and red as they have to peace and his lady.
Any suggestions on pipes, tobaccos or technique would be great. So far she has enjoyed everything she has tried and seems to be leaning towards churchwardens. She says they are easier for her to light without burning her tongue to ashes.
Thanks again for the advice and support.

>.> and yes I am one VERY lucky bastard.

reddazes

Might Stick Around
Sep 26, 2010
Space, The biggest thing Penguin has going for him... is even if I do decide that pipes aren't for me eventually... I can easily spend just as much money on my art or book obsession as he can on his pipes, so we have agreed not to nag about the hobby spending so long as it doesn't get us kicked out of the apartment, or leave us with out food. As it stands, I'll just have to budget half of my art money for pipe money! lol
^_^ Like Penguin said, I am really liking the churchwardens thus far, at least for home use, cause I can sit and sketch with one and holding it doesn't tire my arm out. ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.