PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Skapie

Might Stick Around
Sep 5, 2017
NSW, Australia
I had no intention of buying more pipes. Actually I was not smoking for a good two years, except for a bowl with a friend round the campfire here or there.

Something went “click”, I bought more tobacco. Started reading reviews, remembered this website, and discovered this community again.

And thus I ended up ordering a new MM cob, and won an ebay bid on a Peterson estate that looks it will be able to live on with only minimal TLC.

One must wonder how much a site like this has done to keep the industry going.

It certainly has made me bought a fair few more pipes than I had intended!

Will update the thread with pics of the Peterson once it arrives.

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
I had no intention of buying more pipes. Actually I was not smoking for a good two years, except for a bowl with a friend round the campfire here or there.

Something went “click”, I bought more tobacco. Started reading reviews, remembered this website, and discovered this community again.

And thus I ended up ordering a new MM cob, and won an ebay bid on a Peterson estate that looks it will be able to live on with only minimal TLC.

Yes, this site is very useful. And there always seems to be one more pipe... I've said I will stop after this one, but always end up buying just one more. haha

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That is what I keep telling my wife !
Not here to look at the pretty pipes other members post ! rotf
I actually am. Few if any Bruce Weaver chasers, Altinay and Baki tend to be the favorite meerschaums while mine are mostly IMP, and the only briar artisan I work with is J. Everett. To be honest I think my presence on forums has desensitized me to the excitement of a new pipe. I tried to jump start it again with the meerschaums but I'm just not feeling it.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I, like Embers, have never been moved to purchase a pipe because of this site. It's the conversations, information, humor and the rare but, often spectacular and at times, sublime, train wrecks that keep me entertained. My pipe and blend choices were established well before computer became personal. I have tried a blend or ten that Jim has publicized but, that's it. I'd never consider buying a pipe based on a picture or the opinions of others. I do admire some of the boys' acquisitions and I've had my stomach turned at others but, opinions weren't solicited so, they aren't written.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Since my tastes tend to run to traditional shapes, and since I am not one for huge pipes, I can't say that I have been influenced by any specific pipes posted here.
What has happened is that I have learned more about pipes. My most recent pipe is a family era Saseini I purchased from Dave at Mkelaw. I recently purchased a Ropp, as well.
It all started at the old Yahoo Pipesmokers2 group ... puffy

Skapie

Might Stick Around
Sep 5, 2017
NSW, Australia
Perhaps saying “this website” was incorrect, and should have been “this forum”.

It’s not I bought pipes that I saw on here. More the talk about tobacco and pipes and smoking awaken the urge to go look for something more for the collection.

It certainly made me look through catalogues again, looking for estates to work on (while I’m more of a hobby welder I don’t mind the odd bit of wood and detail work), etc.

My post was more about how the community keeps the interest kindled in people like me where it was waning.

As for pipes on here, I think the one that had the biggest impression was an artisan called a “drip-wax” posted by fishnbanjo quite a few years ago. That was a pipe I wouldn’t mind owning!

Edit - this one: Larrysson Drip Wax First Smoke :: Pipe Talk - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/larrysson-drip-wax-first-smoke.62791/

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania

I can only speak for myself of course but this site and another similar have fed my mind enough info to drop oh I don’t know but say 3 or 4 grand on pipes and pipe tree in the last year or 2. And I only “blame” the site because frankly I was not aware of how wide the world of pipes was, from both a pipe-shape and pipe material standpoint as well as the wide array of blend types. If it weren’t for you all I might be still smoking cavendish out of a basket pipe. Not that that isn’t fun but…
Also COVID is a factor. I made decent $ last year but there isn’t diddly squat to spend it on. I’d prefer to spend my bonuses on an overseas vacation and a new pickup but those things are fouled up right now. So for now I’m indulging more in simpler pleasures

Reactions: Brewfan and OzPiper
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Ditto @reloader. I've definitely discovered blends I wasn't aware of. I can't say I've been too influenced by the pipes seen here. I enjoy seeing them, though. My pipe choices are mostly based on what strikes me as interesting or aesthetically pleasing and the majority were purchased prior to my joining here. I would come for info prior to joining and I liked the warmness and camaraderie I saw, causing me to sign up.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I think your last premise is the right one, it can push you into a certain direction and decide to pull the trigger on something you see here, but that's a conscious decision you make at that moment. It's not like anyone truly makes me buying anything here. It's the same with social media and following pipe makers, it makes it easier to advertise and some people are sensitive to impulse buying because of it or even buy because of the content.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You're the only one I know who packs 50 grams of Mixture 79 in a 300 gram 2ft long pipe.
My Mixture 79 pipe is actually a much smaller commission piece, but, exactly. My pipes and tobacco choices don't reflect anything that goes on here. They may have were I just starting out but I was already decades in before I even knew of online forums.

20210826_034754.jpg

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
you know before this site I wasn't really aware of how many options there are for pipes. I think that is the main fuel. You see so many more pipes and it's just that much more likely you'll find one you really need to have. It's like that guy who lived in a small town and never strayed from his wife but when they moved to the city he starts having trouble being good. The only difference is an awareness of all the options.
Oh and I feel like a freak here. I have nine pipes and only want one more. And the only reason I want one more is because I want to stock up on lakelands and feel it deserves a dedicated pipe. Ironically my eye is on a few specific bulldogs a shape I thought I hated until seeing a few beautiful ones members here have shared. You know pipes I would just not have been aware of otherwise.

Reactions: Skapie