PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The 3 Step usually becomes a 5 Step with one over sized Meerschaum I favor. I first learned my loading style had a name when I came to this forum. Before that I just slowly loaded, tested the draw and when full, lit up. I should have called it the "stuff and nestle" method. True or not, I think the light twist of the finger to "nestle" the tobacco is what makes my style work in a superior manner to all other methods of packing a pipe.
It was carefully developed over many years of experiment which was closely monitored by the required Federal bodies. Subjected to much double blind testing and many "closed door" discussions involving the general public, the SPCA, and the 34th TAS at Langley AFB.
It was a closely held secret until I became unhinged during a foray to the "Kit Kat Klub" and demonstrated the secret of the "finger twist" to a "nubile" dancer while enjoying a rather expensive "lap dance."
I must stop now and reload the computer with "quotation marks."

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
The video from James Fox's David Mc Grane is fantastic, guy is soothing as smoking a pipe.. Love this guy and the "Spiral/Palm" method works real good. Try it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XHYPso7TXs
Then there is Rick from CI and he explains the "3-Layer" method perfectly, but be forewarned, it is not PC, so if you are offended by non-PC language beware.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tImGLFF6d-4
Pack the bottom third with the hand of a child.

Pack the middle third with the hand of a woman.

Pack the top third with the hand of a man.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Sometimes half way down a bowl, I start asking myself, "what was it that I packed into this pipe?" "How did I pack it?" "Who's house is this anyway?" "This is not my car, This is not my wife?" Same as it ever was, same as it ever was...
Now that's some good tobacco!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
So, to rephrase my original post, could packing too tight and having a certain albeit underdeveloped technique effect the flavor?
In a word, yes! But different cuts and moisture content affect how the bowl goes, along with how tightly it's tamped down. Diff strokes, diff baccies, diff folks!

cmclark

Lurker
Mar 15, 2014
Comes down to trial and error then repeat. Then repeat n more times. Try different pack methods with the same baccy and repeat some more.

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
I do agree that it depends on the type of tobacco the you are smoking, and how moist or dry it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.