PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

simpledesign

Might Stick Around
Mar 31, 2011
Just curious to see what your thoughts are on the P-Lip and how it works...I might be looking for one as the next smoker.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
My opinion is based on my experience with two P-lip Peterson's that I have since traded.

I'm a clincher and a "muncher". If you fall into that category you may want to reconsider. They just provided to much temptation and I gnawed them until they were nearly unrecognizable.

I'm sure they have their place, but not in my pipe rack.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I'm in the same category as Lawrence but think they are great for those who don't chomp down on the bit. For bents, they hang nicely.

nyed001

Might Stick Around
Feb 1, 2011
I own a couple,its Ok I guess.Personally I feel that you get a better draw with a fishtail.Also its way easier to run a bristle cleaner through a fish tail.But I have to agree with Lawrence and Haunted,if youre a clincher it might not be a good idea.

stacen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2011
I think they hang well when used in the bent shapes, but I don't care for the redirection of smoke to the roof of my mouth. also they are a little more difficuslt to run a cleaner through... i have a bunch of petes and only one is a Plip, i have passed on a few petes i really liked the look of because they were Plips,
But having said all that there are plenty who really like them, I would recommend trying one to see if you like it, if it is not your cup of tea you can have a bit of fun trading it!

menckenite

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
I love Peterson pipes and will continue to purchase them but I will never buy another p-lip again. I had a nice looking p-lip about 20 years ago that I enjoyed for about 20 smokes before the last third of a pipe cleaner broke off inside the stem. That was it, the pipe was done because there was no way to remove the pipe cleaner without damaging the pipe. For me, I don't see any advantages of the p-lip, only disadvantages.

puffintuff

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2010
I don't mind them. They're supposed to draw the smoke away from your tongue. Fits good in the mouth, a bit on the thin side. Hard to get a cleaner through.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I have one P-lip. Like Lawrence, I am a clencher, and the P-lip is a little more challenging in this respect. Although, I do smoke mine on a fairly regular basis. It's a cool looking pipe, and it was one of my first, so it has sentimental value.
I'm not really a fan of the P-lip, but I have gotten used to it. I won't get another one though.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
I have one and I am happy with it. I, too am a clencher. I placed a rubber bit cushion onver the P-lip as I do on all my fishtail stems and it is just fine. When you pass a pipe cleaner through it insert at the p-lip end and push toward the base of the stem....and there is no problem. IMHO an authentic Pete should have an authentic P-lip to really be a Peterson. They are unique pipes.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I haven't had any problems with clenching my P-Lip Aran B5. It's well balanced and not too heavy. For me it clenches pretty easily. Maybe it's just in the different shapes that clenching is made more difficult.

simpledesign

Might Stick Around
Mar 31, 2011
Thanks for all the different answers! I don't clinch so I'm not too worried about that aspect...I am a thorough cleaner though so that might influence my decision

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
Thanks for all the different answers! I don't clinch so I'm not too worried about that aspect...I am a thorough cleaner though so that might influence my decision

Once you get the hang of sticking a pipe cleaner thru em, it gets really easy. Tapered pipe cleaners REALLY help.

Status
Not open for further replies.