PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

upnorth1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2017
La Belle Province, Canada
I have a question about this action.

Of 23 bids on this item, including auto bids, the majority are by two bidders with a 0 and 5 transaction history. I find this odd given the high $$$ amount of this auction.

Is it possible that someone could artificially raise the bids by bidding using other accounts they have opened?

I'm not trying to discredit the seller so much as trying to understand this particular auction.

The seller does have an extensive history with feedback of 100%.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Rodrigo is a stand up seller, have had more than a few transactions with him and wouldn’t be concerned there be any shill bids on one of his auctions, it’s more than likely 2 bidders with deep pockets wanting this particular pipe, regards.

banjo

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That kind of bid activity on a high end piece is pretty typical. You would think folks who buy a piece like this would have huge Ebay histories, but that seem to rarely be the case.

upnorth1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2017
La Belle Province, Canada
I was also thinking maybe bidders would use a secondary account as an extra means to keep their transctions and bidding private on higher priced items, an example being to avoid being contacted with offers to buy said item.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
some shilling going on or something. No one here said anything informative about this pipe and I've never heard much about this or why it should be considered rare which leads me to believe it's fishier than sushi on a Sunday night.

Jan 8, 2013
some shilling going on or something. No one here said anything informative about this pipe and I've never heard much about this or why it should be considered rare which leads me to believe it's fishier than sushi on a Sunday night.
Well, the guy learned under Sixten Ivarsson and other Danish masters, is an artisan pipe maker who only crafts about 120 pipes in a year. He carves the kind of a pipe a wealthy many will purchase to display in his office in a locked glass enclosure and never smoke. There are other artisans who sell their pipes in the mult-thousand dollar range as well.
https://pipedia.org/wiki/Tokutomi,_Hiroyuki

Jan 8, 2013
this one seems rather ordinary and not his usual caliber.
Haha! What's ordinary about it? It's certainly not as ordinary as a couple of his pipes in this photo....
240px-TokutomiPipes-Rex.JPG

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There are a lot of things I don't understand, and stratospheric pipe prices are one of them.
On one level, there's no sense to it at all, such as whether a $4000 pipe will smoke 10 times better than a $400 pipe, or 100 times better than a $40 dollar pipe. The answer is no. So the price has little to nothing to do with a strictly utilitarian purpose.
It's all about emotion and perception. People with a passion and the financial wherewithal to fuel it will spend significant sums to fulfill that passion. If you love Tokutomi's aesthetic and his craftsmanship and want to own his pieces, you spend the money without complaint. If you love being able to afford very exclusive objects, a carver whose production is tiny is going to appeal to that love of exclusivity and the emotional satisfaction that owning such objects provides. You're paying for the stamp and bragging rights.
You could ask the same question regarding almost any collectible. Why should a painting, or a classic car, or stamps, or first editions, be any more or less an authentic object of a collector's passion than a pipe?

Jan 8, 2013
You could ask the same question regarding almost any collectible. Why should a painting, or a classic car, or stamps, or first editions, be any more or less an authentic object of a collector's passion than a pipe?
You know, for only $2,230,000 you could own Detective Comics #27 :mrgreen:
I would totally own Detective Comics #27 if I could. I just had to throw that out there. :mrgreen:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Something a little funky going on with eBay on this auction. The highest bidder, who had a record of 0 wins just a couple of days ago, now has a record of 100 wins but an approval rating of 0.
Hey eBay IT guys, you've got to do better at covering your tracks!

Status
Not open for further replies.