PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
No ridicule here, if you like it it’s good. I’ll take my coffee any way I can get it.
Love it black.
Love it with Sambuca.

Espresso at work. Just get in me and get to work, no time for dilly dallying.
Like a cheap prostitute.

I don’t like that goofy shite, coffee with butter.
Mmmmmm, Sambuca! Is there anything it can't do? (paraphrase stolen from Homer Simpson)

Jan 27, 2020
I used to love Ovaltine. My favorite way to consume it was to to dip a heaping tablespoon of it into a glass of milk and shove it in my mouth. Maybe try that with coffee. I bet it's delicious and your cavities will thank you for it! It's a hard knock life for your teeth but whatever...

FYI their is a popular product from South America called Milo which tastes the same as Ovaltine and is still popular with Colombians.

• Wow
Reactions: krizzose and edger

MilesDavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 16, 2022
I, too, love Ovaltine. In coffee? Sure! I've eaten it plain with a spoon. On a cold wintery day, hot Ovaltine with a sprinkle of nutmeg and some whipped cream is wonderful.

StringBEan

Might Stick Around
Jul 27, 2022
Alabama
Coffee is good black, with bourbon, with sugar, with cream, with flavored creamer, etc. Coffee is up there with tobacco as far as my necessities go. I prefer my coffee strong and dark, but to each their own!

Reactions: krizzose
H

HRPufnstuf

A chance search of Ovaltine recipes actually brought me to this pipe community about 30 minutes ago. I just started putting Ovaltine in my coffee by chance, thought it might be good. Been using a pipe for 35 years, I hope I can enjoy Ovaltine Coffee as long.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I’ve never been a regular coffee drinker, and I doubt I could tell the difference between Folgers and something high end. But I like coffee as a natural caffeine source if I need a bump. On a suggestion from a friend I added some Ovaltine mixed with some half and half to a cup of coffee, and it was pretty damned good.

I await the ridicule of coffee fanatics
I used to do just that when i was in my 20's. It's delicious, kind of a malty variation of a Russian coffee.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
A chance search of Ovaltine recipes actually brought me to this pipe community about 30 minutes ago. I just started putting Ovaltine in my coffee by chance, thought it might be good. Been using a pipe for 35 years, I hope I can enjoy Ovaltine Coffee as long.

Welcome to the Forums.
Great bunch of guys here

Not quite Ovaltine, but when you ask for a cappuccino or latte/flat white in Australia you get a coffee with a liberal sprinkling of chocolate power on top of the froth
Not sure if it's just an Aussie thing or universal ?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Do you not get Horlicks in the States?

They're very similar in composition, Ovaltine being 73% barley malt and Horlicks is 31% barley malt with 40% wheat and is apparently less sweet.

Over here, both Ovaltine & Horlicks are considered drinks for older or frail folks. The only time I had either was in hospital and it made me gag!

I can't imagine how it would work with coffee.

Regards,

Jay,

Edit: I just read Horlicks is an Anglo-American product!

Reactions: renfield

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Do you not get Horlicks in the States?

They're very similar in composition, Ovaltine being 73% barley malt and Horlicks is 31% barley malt with 40% wheat and is apparently less sweet.

Over here, both Ovaltine & Horlicks are considered drinks for older or frail folks. The only time I had either was in hospital and it made me gag!

I can't imagine how it would work with coffee.

Regards,

Jay,

Edit: I just read Horlicks is an Anglo-American product!
Now that brings back childhood memories
Malaysia being an outpost of the Commonwealth meant i was brought up on Horlicks and Ovaltine.
As well as a veritable lake of cod liver oil 😝

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
I´m no coffee aficionado. Just plain black will do.
No sugar, no cream and never alcohol.
Can´t stand the combination coffee and sugar/alcohol.