PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
At the GKCPC we take great pride in the quality of the programs we offer at our regular meetings. Last Thursday we had our best program ever. I cannot tell you good it was. We had Michael Sull, America's greatest living practitioner of Spencerian Handwriting, give a presentation on his career as a Master Penman. Mike is not a large guy and he is very soft spoken and to get him to talk about himself takes some doing. The 30 or so of us in attendance had to be very quiet in order to hear him. And believe me we were.
Mike went through a brief history of American Handwriting, how he got into the field, and how he received his training. Becoming a Master Penman is not one of these "let's go take a class or two" things. You have to apprentice under someone for years to acquire the necessary skills.
Mike discussed his work with President Reagan. He was Reagan's personal calligrapher from the time he was elected to the White House until his (Reagan's) health began to fail in the second term. He also did the Academy Award nomination letters for at least a dozen years. He brought in tons of examples of his work. He even showed us the pen that he designed that is now the standard for all Spencerian penman to use. He has also written several texts on handwriting including the recently released "The American Handwriting System". His work is absolutely revered in Japan.
The absolute highlight of the meeting was when the progam was over Mike sat down and wrote something for each member who wanted one. I watched him do my note and I guess in the two minutes it took him to write it he must have lifted his a dozen or times. And every time he put the pen right down where he left off.
Mike is a founding member of our club and yet no more than a dozen members were even remotely aware of the incredible level of skill of Mike's work.
The only disappointment about the program was that like a clod I once again had failed to make arrangement to have the program video taped.
I would suggest that anyone interested in Mike's work Google Michael Sull calligrapher or visit his website at www.spencerian.com

twoadaydanny

Lurker
Aug 16, 2011
Gosh, I wish I could have been there. While I've never been able to attend one of Mr. Sull's seminars, I have purchased and used his video and practice books. It's surprisingly easy to start producing not flawless, but pretty good looking Spencerian handwriting. I highly recommend Mr. Sull's program to anyone interested in learning this beautiful, old-fashioned script.

seanz

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
wow thats really interesting. I have always loved handwriting, though i tend to scrawl like a doctor at the end of his shift in e.r :D but it is a sad state of affairs IMO that script is no longer taught in schools down here.

twoadaydanny

Lurker
Aug 16, 2011
kcghohst, I read through your post too quickly. I missed that he was a founding member of your club. Very cool! If you see him at one of your meetings, please let him know that he has a customer and huge fan within the community here. He was already a bit of a rock star calligrapher in my mind. That he was a founding member of such a significant pipe club... well, I just love that.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
It's amazing some of the occupations and accomplishments of those who fall into our 3 degrees of separations.

I know.... I know it's supposed to be six degrees of separation... But, we pipers are a close knit community.
Did you know that right here we have members that are published writers, and good ones at that... We have musicians of the first order...
Thanks for the link... It was hobby of mine in the past to do Calligraphy...

It's been a while since I've practiced... I might just pick up my pen again...

I haven't had India Ink stained fingers in quite a while.
Thanks KC for the great post!!!!

Wish I'd been there, must have been great!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

:puffy:

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Wow. I had no idea Michael was Reagan's personal calligrapher. I take even more pride in the certificate he penned for me that was presented at the show in June.
Here's a nice large size version:

http://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/2011-articles/kansas-city-pipe-show/certificate-of-appreciation.jpg
Here's the article:

2011 Kansas City Pipe Show Report

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Here's a picture of a very large, wonderful document Mike created.
img_2035-91x150.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.