PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caktranaruci

Lurker
Dec 26, 2020
Just got this little Orlik pipe, came with no box but it's unsmoked.
The size is pretty small, 16mm inside bowl diameter and around 28mm for the outside.
"Orlik Mini London Made" stamped up side of shank and "L" letter at the bottom of shank just right to the stem.
Brass "O" logo inlayed.

Roughly guess at least this pipe came from early 70s, but don't know how much precise. What do you think?

So it's De Luxe series that came in mini size so stamped in "Mini"?

IMG_20201227_094625-01.jpeg

IMG_20201227_095309-01.jpeg

IMG_20201227_095143-01.jpeg
Comparasion size with my Savi One

IMG_20201227_095657_1-01_0639.jpg

IMG_20201227_094818-01.jpeg

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
That’s a great pipe. I like it a lot. It’s pre Cadogan era. You can date it somewhat by the COM. So before 1980. The L is their stamp for Deluxe, mini was the pipes sub group. It’s unsmoked, all the nomenclature is fantastic, has beautiful grain, that’s a winner sir!! Congrats on your purchase.

Caktranaruci

Lurker
Dec 26, 2020
That’s a great pipe. I like it a lot. It’s pre Cadogan era. You can date it somewhat by the COM. So before 1980. The L is their stamp for Deluxe, mini was the pipes sub group. It’s unsmoked, all the nomenclature is fantastic, has beautiful grain, that’s a winner sir!! Congrats on your purchase.

Thanks a lot for your info chuck, I really need it
Yes I do little digging in the internet and spot some characteristics that telling me it's come from pre cadogan era, but cannot get any sure about the dating, I mean still don't know it come from 70s, 60s, 50s era.
From what I read (in this forum by member named jensen) there's a different era for 'London Made' stamp and 'made in England' stamp, which is the second used after Orlik move the factory to the Essex (1974). But still not sure. Do you have any clue?

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

ChuckMijo

Sep 26, 2020
Yes you can somewhat date it by the Com. London made is the more desired and older on certain pipes lines .I would say you could date it 1950s to 70s era. That’s really as close as you can get. It’s a really nice find. Orlik is a old British pipe house, and these types of pipes and in that condition are scarce. It’s one I’d love to have in my collection for sure.

Last edited:

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I love getting schooled by @jensen. I kinda feel like an idiot and empowered with more knowledge at the same time.

this thread has helped me place my orlik deluxe L 166 in the late 70s though, I never knew about the “made in England” COM change with the factory move.

Either way, I call dibs if you ever decide to sell it.

ChuckMijo

Sep 26, 2020
@jenson the L is from my limited experience with Orlik is the code for Deluxe? Or am I totally wrong. The 3/4 pipe is clearly marked as such. Mini pipes were marked mini. The Com as well would put it pre 1980? I’m deferring to you as I own 1 and have limited knowledge.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
In 1980 they started with a production code - like here L. I have more pipes with those letters. H J R E comes to mind - Comoys, Loewes, Civic, BBB.
Two pipes in different qualities have the same letter.
Later the Danish agent tried to reinterduce the Deluxe.
I brought two stamped 607 which is a BBB Liverpool shape and it should have been a L37 as they are in fact lovats. They also have the Comoy stamp Made in England London in a circle. What a mess.
But you are right, in the good old days L for Deluxe,
LX for Deluxe sandblast and LiX for what they here called Indian sandblast ( red)

Caktranaruci

Lurker
Dec 26, 2020
It is a Cadogan pipe. The L is a production code. Orlik lightweight pipes was The 3/4 Oz wich also came in a Deluxe version. A billiard was stamped 73 on The 3/4 Oz and L73 on a Deluxe. I have an L 141 Canadian and a L 147 Bulldog. I have seen Mini in the 80ties but never brought one-

In 1980 they started with a production code - like here L. I have more pipes with those letters. H J R E comes to mind - Comoys, Loewes, Civic, BBB.
Two pipes in different qualities have the same letter.
Later the Danish agent tried to reinterduce the Deluxe.
I brought two stamped 607 which is a BBB Liverpool shape and it should have been a L37 as they are in fact lovats. They also have the Comoy stamp Made in England London in a circle. What a mess.
But you are right, in the good old days L for Deluxe,
LX for Deluxe sandblast and LiX for what they here called Indian sandblast ( red)

Ah now I see why I got this pipe only less than $46 from a guy who only bought it 2 week before he sell it to me

Yes that 'mini' stamp put me into the doubt which era this pipe came from, and now you give me the answer so clearly..thanks a lot jensen ?

The only question now would it smoke good..we'll see

Status
Not open for further replies.