PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ithelouniverse

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
So I got this because I needed to add 8 dollars to meet a free shipping minimum and picked it based on the judge logo alone. I've now put 4 or 5 bowls of it through my Savinelli Trevi 320 ks and have to say that it is a welcome change of pace. My go to tobacco is English Luxus bulk tobacco and this is about as far away from that as I have found so far. The tin says its "golden, mature Virginias" and when I first popped the top the room smelled instantly of alfalfa. I don't mean almost alfalfa, either. My college is in the middle of an alfalfa field and blindfolded I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. With my nose right in the tin I get a hint of something almost like iced tea. I let it dry for about 30-40 minutes and it takes the match so well I keep the charring light all the way through the whole bowl. Taste is very light, hay like is the best word in my limited pipe lexicon. From time to time, there is a taste of citrus, but even without it it is a pleasant smoke. It is exactly what I didn't know I was looking for as a decent change of pace from my usual stuff, and the room note is mild to pleasant, IE: my wife didn't complain and my child only slightly complained... Worth a try, I still don't know yet if I'll reorder, but for now it fits my needs.
So that my first review. Thoughts? Too long? Not long enough? Did it suck? Did it rock? Helpful? not so much?

I'm new to this (smoking and reviewing) so help me out! Thanks Guys!
-Lou

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
I think you nailed it. It is a slightly grassy (hay) tobacco with a noticeable citrus twang. I get a little pepper taste in there too, especially as it drys out a little more. Orlik is one of my go to virginias. Just a solid smoke.
From reading your review I get the idea of what the tobacco is about, and I like when someone reveals their tastes (you usually go for english blends). Its a good way to gauge how similar your tastes are to the reviewer's.
Remember... all shrewd judges smoke Orlik, so you should too.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hang around with it for a while. I think it is a really subtle and complex experience, but as you go

through the tin, the magnitude of the nuanced flavor will dawn on you.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
Orlik Golden Sliced is a Virginia that I enjoy very much. Fresh the hay notes are very present, and I quite enjoy them. Aging drastically changes this tobacco. I have a tin that is 6 years old that is incredible, but hardly even similar to fresh. You honestly would have a hard time identifying them as one and the same if smoked side by side.

B

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
Also this can be caught on sale sometimes as SP. The last time I bought some for the cellar I bought the 100gram tins for under $7.

B

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think Dunhill flake is very bland in comparison to OGS. That's not to say Dunhill isn't as good as any bright Va flake around;

but OGS has more complexity, with sweetness that ranges from honey to more caramel-like tones as the bowl progresses.

OGS starts out a bit sharper, more citrus, and more hay-like than Dunhill; and, IMO is a much better bargain price-wise.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I smoke OGS in the hot summer months, when it is too hot for my lat-blends.

I've seen this phrase used to describe OGS before:

Taste is very light, hay like is the best word in my limited pipe lexicon.
Or freshly mowed grass. With all due respect, I've mowed a lot of lawns and even bailed hay a few summers (horrific work...). But, I've never once felt compelled to taste the clippings!
I agree that the room not is not offensive, and a neither is my breath (unlike a lat blend).
It seems almost flavor neutral to me, and your citrus comment also fits.
If you want something in this VA realm, but a bit more flavorful, try Lane "Leo".

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
My advice on OGS is to age it well by always buying more than you smoke, so that you build up an inventory of it, which eventually becomes very aged, without having to hold off on smoking it. Every year I buy a few tins of it, but only smoke like two of them. There is no cheaper VA at this quality on the market, definitely a value buy. The biggest reason I stock it, is because it's the only VA I can afford in bulk, I like getting many different kinds of pipe and cigar tobacco, so it is impossible to stock up lets say FVF in bulk because it would account for 100% of my tobacco budget for the entire year.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Well looks like I'm going to have to open a tin of OGS tonight as I'm placing a big order tomorrow an do have to decide between OGS & DHF. I'll report back NY take on them

mike73

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2013
Both OGS and Dunhill Flake are great, but I would lean more to DHF myself if I were choosing between the two.

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
OGS is a top five favorite tobaccos for me. If you're concerned about aging, and are impatient, try tin baking. I've had great results at 190 degrees for 5 hours.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Great point by Eric, aged OGS is much better. I also try to stay a year ahead of it. I've never tried cooking any blend, but just read an interesting article in a 2009 issue of The Pipe Collector, describing cooking it for several hours in a crock pot.

eastwoodaudio

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2013
Orlik Golden Sliced grew on me. A first, I really didn't think it tasted like much and put it aside for a month. I revisited it a few times after that, and found myself starting to crave it. :) great value!

Status
Not open for further replies.