PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
With this drying up I bought a few 3.5oz tins. Are these sealed like regular round tins? I didn't feel like I got the normal pop when I opened the first one - but the moisture level was perfect. Just wondering if I need to open them all and jar them and don't want to experiment with popping another one!

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
You need to decide if you are going to smoke it sometime in the next year, If so, leave it in the tin if not you will have a decision to make.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have never taken a perfectly fine tin, opened it and jarred the containers. In 2012 I opened a OGS tall boy from 1997 and it was perfect. The tobacco was very dark and I really enjoyed smoking it.

I have recently been smoking some 100 gram tins of 1998 Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky and every tin was sealed and the tobacco was perfect.

I have opened tons of ten year old square or rectangular tins, no issues. Also loads of round tins and never an issue.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I read that they were going to stop importing OGS. It’s out of stock everywhere I looked except P&C who still has some 3.5oz tins- a few less now! On the tins, I bought some rectangular 1792 from an antique store, no telling how old they were. They were perfect when I popped them!

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com
With this drying up I bought a few 3.5oz tins. Are these sealed like regular round tins? I didn't feel like I got the normal pop when I opened the first one - but the moisture level was perfect. Just wondering if I need to open them all and jar them and don't want to experiment with popping another one!

Turbotin shows it in stock at 4Noggins, LJPeretti, EACarey and a couple others.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I think it's a recurring rumor - though after the Dark Strong Kentucky never came back, I wasn't so sure this time

Reactions: Elric

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I think it's a recurring rumor - though after the Dark Strong Kentucky never came back, I wasn't so sure this time
I have ben smoking a lot of 1998-2005 Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky all from the 100 gram tall boys. Everyone has been perfect. When DSk came back on the market in 2016, I bought a test tin and it was great. I ordered 100 tins for only 701 bucks and plan on cracking one when it gets to be 7 which is pretty soon. I am excited to see how it is doing. I love this stuff.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I'd suggest Leaving them as they are, I have rectangular tins of various brands, some 5 years or even older, and each that I had cracked open over these past years was perfect with no issues, including those of G&H

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I have ben smoking a lot of 1998-2005 Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky all from the 100 gram tall boys. Everyone has been perfect. When DSk came back on the market in 2016, I bought a test tin and it was great. I ordered 100 tins for only 701 bucks and plan on cracking one when it gets to be 7 which is pretty soon. I am excited to see how it is doing. I love this stuff.
I love it too - I was only able to grab 7 or 8 when I noticed they were going out of stock everywhere. But I did grab an 8oz Peter Heinrichs Dark Strong Flake - I see that's getting hard to come by too. Wondering if that might be getting scarce.