PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

UpArrow

Lurker
Dec 13, 2022
Order a couple oz ea of these and play with them. Try them separately as well as adding a bit to blends you have on hand in small 3 bowl batches. They aren't punchy but it's easy to add too much. BTDT.

If your wallet is particularly fat order a bunch from this "blending" search and play with them during the winter months. I'm not saying these are exemplary tobaccos but trying them all individually will make you a better informed consumer of finished blends.

Oddball

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
TN
This post inspired me to get the Sunday Picnic out. With about 6-8 months in the jar it changed for me. I don't know if there was an actual change or just a perceived one but I hammer it for the better part of a week and I must say it's a really really good blend. High light note was a black walnut flavor from time to time. Be advised it is heavy in Red Virginia. I'm going to get more.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I've enjoyed my tin of Izmir Turkish as well.
But my palate is still limited and I've many more to try.
Sunday Picnic hasn't really done it for me (saw that one mentioned)

JJ_JJ_JJ_JJ

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2022
Sunday Picnic is not a "true" oriental is a Va/Per/Oriental mix. Which is my favorite blend of all time and think its fantastic

If your looking for a good straight oriental C+D's Oriental Silk is very good

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
If you like Orcilla, try Campanile, which I prefer. The extinct Ferndowns (Black and Tan, etc) are great. 3 of the Chonowitsch's are in a similar vein. If you like Brunello Flake, try Patriot Flake.

Reactions: FLDRD

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Orientals cover a lot of territory. A lot of current 'Orientals' are crossmixed, unlike the great McClelland Grand Orientals which key in on one varietal at a time. Quite a few varietals have disappeared. Also there is a lot of overlap with "Turkish" which to me are more pungent - think of the old Sobranie and Abdullah cigarettes.

Another delicious bunch use Mark Ryan's Periqued Katerini - Per has created some interesting blends with those.

Reactions: midcentry