Ordering from Peterson Directly when Living in Canada?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sacred_summit

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
Please read Rule 9 as to how to form a title.

Hey guys. I've spent hours searching today but have not found an answer. I live in Canada and I'm wondering If I can order a peterson directly from there website?

Will shipping and import duties be worse than orderring from Smokingpipes.com? Is it better?

I don't know rules when orderring a pipe from dublin to Canada vs USA to Canada. Thanks everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Hey guys. I've spent hours searching today but have not found an answer. I live in Canada and I'm wondering If I can order a peterson directly from there website?

Will shipping and import duties be worse than orderring from Smokingpipes.com? Is it better?

I don't know rules when orderring a pipe from dublin to Canada vs USA to Canada. Thanks everyone.
Yes you can.

I would think duties/taxes would be the same but shipping from Ireland would be more. I’d go with SP it it were me.

Reactions: Sacred_summit

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Smokingpipes.eu is the Peterson Dublin store I believe. At least any questions I have asked have been answered by Peterson's Dublin store. Email them your questions and they should be able to tell you what others have done.

Reactions: minerLuke

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
I'm in Canada and I've ordered a couple times from the Smokingpipes.eu site. I had to pay duty both times as I recall. I've ordered from the main US site numerous times and I ALWAYS get dinged by customs duties, not just with pipes and tobacco but even with books and cleaning supplies. Maybe it's the name that gives CBSA the vapors?

Reactions: BrightDarkEyes

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I'm in Canada and I've ordered a couple times from the Smokingpipes.eu site. I had to pay duty both times as I recall. I've ordered from the main US site numerous times and I ALWAYS get dinged by customs duties, not just with pipes and tobacco but even with books and cleaning supplies. Maybe it's the name that gives CBSA the vapors?
It could be the name but aren’t packages shipped with the Laudisi name on it?

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
If it is anything like the EU you will pay the same VAT as from anywhere else that is not Canadian terrirory. Its shipped as merchandise so taxed the same. Tobacco tax is a totally different story. In some countries items marked as a gift and a low value pass through but a pipe from a vendor is gonna be marked as merchandise.

You might want to see if it can be marked from a vendors personal name so it doesnt accidentally get held hostage at tobacco rates. If its anything like here it is very difficult to argue with the tax people. They work in some remote warehouse cut off from the rest of the planet (on purpose). I think that would be my only concern...aside from paying high VAT and processing fees.

Just remember when VAT sucks that you will never go bankrupt over medical costs. It helps ease the pain :)

BrightDarkEyes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
The only difference between ordering from smokingpipes.eu and smokingpipes.com might be the shipping rate to Canada. Super Saver International is the shipping options I choose every time now. I see no sense in paying a higher shipping rate for a higher bill sooner. Customs and duties includes the cost of shipping in their total. It has never taken longer than three weeks going through customs.

What @minerLuke said is true for me. Anytime I've ordered from SP Dublin, Ireland or SP Longs, SC, I've been charged tax and duty on pipes, cleaning supplies, accessories, and tobacco even when tobacco is absent in the order.

I have had more luck on pipes and accessories getting through customs with eBay.

Reactions: AroEnglish