PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

barepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2017
I wonder if there are optimal ages for different tobacco varieties for cellaring. Is it like wine where there is an optimal age after which it declines and does it, like wine, vary according to variety?

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Hello, for VaPers it's 3-8 years. For Virginias it's 8-15 years. Latakia blends mellow as they age so I'd say about 5 years.
But I've smoked tobacco from the three groups that was 80+ years old and it was fantastic.
So it's really up to your taste buds.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
According to Greg Pease, (and he would know) most of the beneficial effects of aging occur within the first 5 years. After that, the benefits may continue with certain varieties of tobacco - Virginias and Orientals - at an incremental pace for decades.
Latakia loses its potency over time, significantly after 15 years, and is pretty much depleted after 30. But there are occasional exceptions where the Lat has not completely faded away. Many smokers prefer the softer pungency of aged Latakia.
Whether to age or not to age is the question. Some smokers like how some of their blends taste fresh and don't like the changes that age brings. It's not that aged tobacco is better. Aged tobacco is different. Whether that difference is an improvement depends on the perception of the smoker.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
I love smoking well aged tobacco. Some of my cellared stuff goes back as far as the early to mid eighties.
One thing I have noticed with some old tins (not all) is that it's usually best to smoke it pretty soon after opening. They just lose something after a week or three, even after being jarred immediately.
I cracked a tin of McC Christmas Cheer 1997 a while back and it was most excellent for about three weeks. Then it went kinda flat, so to speak. On the other hand, I've seen several 15-20 yr. old Latakia mixtures that hold up extremely well for long periods after being placed in a Ball jar. Go figure? :roll:

civalwar

Might Stick Around
Feb 28, 2018
I always thought if stored properly (properly sealed), the older the better.

Jul 12, 2011
I have been now smoking all my blends ( Virginia, VaPer, VaBur, English, etc. ) between the 5yr-8yr mark and they have all really done well with some age on them - I don't think my patience could hold out any longer but I do like to smoke other blends fresh as well - I think what has helped me age is just the sheer amounts in my cellar and the amount of time I have to smoke ( I smoke between 2-3 bowls a day ), otherwise I would be popping tins like mad without letting them age at all :puffy:
Sometimes if you are lucky you will receive blends that might already have a year or so on them :worship:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I cellar tobacco mainly because I strongly believe that internet sales will cease sometime in the not too distant future. I don't usually cellar to age.
That said, I am in the process of buying certain McClelland straight Virginia blends that will be cellared specifically due to reading that they will improve with age. Smoked fresh I found them to be lacking in depth of flavour, so hopefully after five years sitting in my wardrobe I will notice an improvement.
Regards,
Jay.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I like the flavors of aged tobacco and cellar Va,Vaper and Vabur flakes. In my experience every one of my flakes gets better with age. I am lucky that at this stage of my cellaring I can smoke 5-16 year old tobacco exclusively if I so chose. I have 3 new blends that taste great fresh. I will be putting those away to age like I do all my tobacco, but it is no chore smoking it fresh. Everyone starts smoking mostly fresh tobacco then gradually through cellaring, we get to smoke mostly aged tobacco.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Everyone starts smoking mostly fresh tobacco then gradually through cellaring, we get to smoke mostly aged tobacco."
Harris, there will come a point when all we have to smoke is cellared tobacco.
Regards,
Jay.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
If you're smart about it (have a few extra $$$'s to buy some aged) and plan, there is no reason that you cannot be smoking only aged tobac exclusively.
Some aged cans and a few pounds of SJF in jars and you're ready for Armageddon.

Funny, for those of us who are friends with Greg Pease on social media, he really loves those really old latakia blends that he has stashed away for decades, the older the better for him. I guess it just depends on your tastes.
I have had really old VaPers, more than 20 years that have been excellent smokes. And, old aromatics are even worth giving a taste to, maybe not the bulk Lane Ltd, but even the codger blends seem to have something marvelous that happens with age.
I'd be willing to gamble on some older things listed above as not aging well. I think that if you enjoy sampling things, leaving some aromatics, or burleys, and especially some latakia is going to be well worth the gamble. Besides, it's not going to be like 25-35 year old Balkan Sobranie is going to become your all day every day smoke, and even if it could, what would be special about that? But, if the opportunity came up to purchase a 25 year old latakia, I would jump on it. Actually, my pipe club does. Pitching in 20 bucks to get a chance to smoke several bowls of something rare and exotic is worth it to me. What does it take to awesome? And, yes on occasion I have had a few bowls of something that was not very pleasant, but probably started off as unpleasant to begin with. The worst I have had was 20+ year old Country Doctor, that tasted like Mixture 79 to me. But, it was worth it for the experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.