PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Pappy Coon

Might Stick Around
Feb 13, 2024
Panhandle of Nebraska
So after arm wrestling with a fresh round tin of Erinmore Flake (I lost 😂), I decided to Google how to open it. Yes, I know it seems like a real dumb situation to be in, especially from a guy staring at 50 who has worked on boats, ships and locomotives. Do you have to insert the pipe tool into the slot and then unscrew it on all round tins of tobacco, or is it an Erinmore thing?

Briarcutter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2023
U.S.A.
Most tins I can just open with my fingers, pop the seal and the lid comes right off. Others I've really struggled. I've had to use a flat 1/2 wide screwdriver and dented the tins in the process. It seems sometimes the rubber seal deteriorates and almost glues the lid on.

Reactions: Pappy Coon

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Most tins I can just open with my fingers, pop the seal and the lid comes right off. Others I've really struggled. I've had to use a flat 1/2 wide screwdriver and dented the tins in the process. It seems sometimes the rubber seal deteriorates and almost glues the lid on.
fingers work. It's less about force and more about just barely pulling on the rim for about 1/2 a minute to a minute and 1/2. Though if you do it that way you do not get that nice little sound of air rushing into the tin.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I just pop the tin with the tamper part of a pipe tool and unscrew it. Sometimes they are tight. Ive only used one slot to release the vacuum. I have no idea if doing more makes a dfference.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
N.B.: I've found that this is a transferrable skill. When you've got a new jar of some foodstuff and the lid won't unscrew easily, a little twist of a butter knife under the edge of the lid will get it moving like magic.

A quarter, shoved into the slot for torque and twist the coin, pop.
I can teach you guys this and other pipe tricks, like using a tamper without making a chamber sized plug, lighting a pipe with a Bic without charing the rim, for the low low cost of $85.
Then you can graduate on to Codger scoops, using a pipe cleaner, and drying your tobacco.