Opening a ~40 year old tin of Assens' Finest Flake Cut + More Information sought

SmokingPipes.com Updates

3 Fresh Bill Shalosky Pipes
18 Fresh Mastro Geppetto Pipes
106 Fresh Peterson Pipes
24 Fresh Eltang Basic Pipes
5 Fresh Brighton James Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

EchoPlex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2023
This weekend I decided to open an old sealed tin of “Assens’ Finest Flake Cut”. There is no information to be found online regarding this blend, so I figured I’d document it here and ask that anyone with any knowledge of it please contribute. It would be nice to eventually get it added to the TR database.

Assens-1.jpg

I am very interested in determining the age and the blend’s composition. There is only a single auction example where it was listed as “1980’s era”, however, this was simply speculation passed on from the original German seller. I think it is older based on its German Tobacco stamp. For example, 6,50 Deutsche Marks seems to jive more with the 1960’s-1970’s for a 50gr tin, based on comparisons to other German stamps I can find online. This older range also lines up with Assens’ own timeline of releasing new cuts from 1950-1970. At the very least, it is pre-STG (pre-1989).

Assens-2.jpg

This double-fermented “Curly Cake” is blended in Denmark, cut and packed in Germany. The well-preserved, petite tin measures a little over 3.25” x 1”. At first pry with my Czech tool I received a very welcome audible “pssss” as the vacuum of the tin was equalized. A great sign, but let’s twist and see what’s inside:

Assens-3.jpg
Assens-4.jpg
Assens-5.jpg
Assens-6.jpg

Oh my goodness - The tin note is the closest analog to freshly baked raisin bread I have ever smelled. Incredible! And thankfully it is not dry! Moisture level is comparable to something like BEF. Weight of the actual tobacco mass is 47 grams, so only a 3 gram loss in water weight over some 40-ish years. Nice.The entire surface sparkles in the light as it is coated with transparent, micro-crystalline sugars and/or other curing-related byproducts. The flakes are so compressed that it crumbles like a cake. It is definitely a “Curly Cake”.

So how does it smoke and what does it taste like? I’m terrible at this part, sorry, but some first impressions - In one word, it was, as the tin says, “Mild”, but sublimely so. Mildly sweet toasted graham cracker bread. There is also something different and intriguing here. It’s hard to explain, but I found myself chasing this earthy terroir-like note. I don’t know if that’s something related to different genetics of that time or just my imagination expecting something unique in such an old tobacco. Whatever it is, I find it alluring. A very slow sipping cadence is mandatory. Any puffing and things fall apart quickly. The room note is very pleasant. I love this tobacco.

I’ll give a more comprehensive review when I get to know it and understand it better. Again, I welcome any comments or additional info on this mysterious tin. It’s odd that there is virtually nothing to be found online. Thanks for reading!

brandaves

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2020
Kentucky
Very nice post and intriguing story. I hope someone knows more and can help identify more about the tobacco including age. I wonder about aged tins like this sometimes, mostly for selfish reasons. I want to know how well I should expect my own stash to hold up over time. If that one is any indication then prospects look good.

EchoPlex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2023
Great post @EchoPlex
Just out of curiosity, is this something you purchased? Or have you been holding on to this tin for 40+ years?

I bought a couple of these from a friend and fellow collector who has an amazing collection of old tobaccos. It's been in my custody for only a matter of days. I mylared the other one with O2 absorbers for long-term preservation in my cellar. Maybe it will last another 40 years!

Very nice post and intriguing story. I hope someone knows more and can help identify more about the tobacco including age. I wonder about aged tins like this sometimes, mostly for selfish reasons. I want to know how well I should expect my own stash to hold up over time. If that one is any indication then prospects look good.

Thank you! These tins were definitely well-curated and that is precisely why they lasted this long.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This weekend I decided to open an old sealed tin of “Assens’ Finest Flake Cut”. There is no information to be found online regarding this blend, so I figured I’d document it here and ask that anyone with any knowledge of it please contribute. It would be nice to eventually get it added to the TR database.

View attachment 227068

I am very interested in determining the age and the blend’s composition. There is only a single auction example where it was listed as “1980’s era”, however, this was simply speculation passed on from the original German seller. I think it is older based on its German Tobacco stamp. For example, 6,50 Deutsche Marks seems to jive more with the 1960’s-1970’s for a 50gr tin, based on comparisons to other German stamps I can find online. This older range also lines up with Assens’ own timeline of releasing new cuts from 1950-1970. At the very least, it is pre-STG (pre-1989).

View attachment 227069

This double-fermented “Curly Cake” is blended in Denmark, cut and packed in Germany. The well-preserved, petite tin measures a little over 3.25” x 1”. At first pry with my Czech tool I received a very welcome audible “pssss” as the vacuum of the tin was equalized. A great sign, but let’s twist and see what’s inside:

View attachment 227064
View attachment 227065
View attachment 227066
View attachment 227067

Oh my goodness - The tin note is the closest analog to freshly baked raisin bread I have ever smelled. Incredible! And thankfully it is not dry! Moisture level is comparable to something like BEF. Weight of the actual tobacco mass is 47 grams, so only a 3 gram loss in water weight over some 40-ish years. Nice.The entire surface sparkles in the light as it is coated with transparent, micro-crystalline sugars and/or other curing-related byproducts. The flakes are so compressed that it crumbles like a cake. It is definitely a “Curly Cake”.

So how does it smoke and what does it taste like? I’m terrible at this part, sorry, but some first impressions - In one word, it was, as the tin says, “Mild”, but sublimely so. Mildly sweet toasted graham cracker bread. There is also something different and intriguing here. It’s hard to explain, but I found myself chasing this earthy terroir-like note. I don’t know if that’s something related to different genetics of that time or just my imagination expecting something unique in such an old tobacco. Whatever it is, I find it alluring. A very slow sipping cadence is mandatory. Any puffing and things fall apart quickly. The room note is very pleasant. I love this tobacco.

I’ll give a more comprehensive review when I get to know it and understand it better. Again, I welcome any comments or additional info on this mysterious tin. It’s odd that there is virtually nothing to be found online. Thanks for reading!
Congrats on the fine vintage soke. Don't go too slow on enjoying that tin. Superannuated blends often go tits up within a few days of encountering fresh oxygen.

EchoPlex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2023
Congrats on the fine vintage soke. Don't go too slow on enjoying that tin. Superannuated blends often go tits up within a few days of encountering fresh oxygen.

Thank you and I appreciate the advice! I have split it up between two small jars. One with O2 absorbers, one without. It'll be interesting to see how the two compare after time, but I'll be smoking a bowl today for sure!

Reactions: yanoJL

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
Thank you and I appreciate the advice! I have split it up between two small jars. One with O2 absorbers, one without. It'll be interesting to see how the two compare after time, but I'll be smoking a bowl today for sure!

@EchoPlex Can’t wait to hear the results as I have a few old Danish blends I have been trying to decide what to do with.

Reactions: EchoPlex

EchoPlex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2023
@EchoPlex Can’t wait to hear the results as I have a few old Danish blends I have been trying to decide what to do with.

Oh you should definitely open one!! It is such a cool experience to be the first to gaze upon and sniff something that's been locked away in its own little dark microclimate for about as long as I have been alive. ...or sell me one and I'll open it haha.