Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Beefeater, no it's 97. I can't know everything off the top of my head. :lol:
szVyWUK.jpg

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
^^ Thanks.......... I thought for a minute that there was yet ANOTHER shape to hunt down........... :D

Mine is similar to yours, but with a saddle stem.......

This is a pipe shape that I don't see discussed much on here. One of my first few pipes was an Oom Paul, I think it was an older Savinelli. I don't remember it ever smoking wet, and I wasn't all of that focused on my technique at that point. Maybe it was just a well made pipe. I had forgotten all about that pipe, and for the life of me, I have no idea where it went. I just remember that my wife was finding droopy bent pipes to be humorous and a turn off, so I stopped smoking it. It was a pretty big pipe too. Eh, I may find it somewhere, I just rifled through my pipe drawers. I need to check the attic. It's around here somewhere. Grrr...

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
Maybe they say it 'Ohm Pah-uhl' in the Netherlands...but ohm pah-uhl would likely draw a raised eyebrow from a fellow piper here in the states. :puffy:
Sasquatch...excellent diagrams indeed. I've had Oom Pauls which gurgled...and others which did not, and it's certainly due to workmanship. A well engineered pipe is set-up for a much better smoking experience.
Can you show off any of the Oom Pauls Hungarians that you've made?

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Given I like deeply bent pipes with large bowl capacities, thought I'd look online to see if any with this shape, (new), caught my eye for possible purchase. Saw estates on the Bay but could not find that shape currently offered new by a seller. Seems like lately that shape hasn't been made much. Might get tempted to find the Peterson Founder's Edition in that shape. Fine looker.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I tend to keep mine fairly "classic" or neo-classical.
Italian-esque (neo):
lqQB1z9.jpg

Where cut, fit, and finish are tightened up a little, you get a more "1920s England" look:
Yfrf9kN.jpg

qG8tDPT.jpg

What's fun/amazing is how a little cut corner here, a little angle change there, and you get a completely different look - this pipe is VERY bent, 7/8? but it's not as Oom Paulish to my mind because it's cut a little curvier.
7QjOjGh.jpg

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
I have several Oom Paul pipes, and they all smoke well. I don't know if Paul Kruger was a son of a bitch or not, but he was re-elected president three times, and after he died he was brought back to South Africa and given a hero's burial. Evidently the South Africans liked him.

I was just smoking a Savinelli Capri Oom Paul last night. Great pipe, and I don't recall it ever smoking wet, no matter what I smoked in it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm no linguist nor language guy, but isn't the South African colonialist language Afrikaner, derivative but not the same as Dutch? Or am I splitting hairs here? Is it easily intelligible to Dutch speakers? Anyone know?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Answering my own question by Googling, I'd say though Afrikaans is Dutch derived, it has enough other sources, it would have to be learned to some extent by Dutch speakers as it has many words derived from other languages including Bantu. A Dutch speaker would have a head start, but wouldn't be fluent -- said to be easier for a Dutch speaker to get it written than spoken.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
During my first couple 'a yrs of frenzied TAD and PAD, I acquired this Butz Chacom Geante Extra, which is about the most 'bent' pipe I own. I bought it because of the bird's eye, and for under $50.00.

It smokes like a dream, and even clenches, despite its large profile.

win_20170905_07_40_44_pro-600x450.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.